Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carny Goat

DEL Doom Engine Launcher

Hi guys,

I was browsing around for a good front-end launcher for Zdoom based engines. I had an old one back at home that was called "Doom Engine Launcher" v4.7 and now I can't find a download at this time for it.

I searched around and found a possible download link for that one in particular, but the post is long dead, and the links to it have decayed beyond this mortal realm. Does anyone have a copy of the most recent version of that Launcher in particular? I'm not sure how far its gotten in the making. The version I have at home is 4.7 and I just happen to not have it on me right now. Or if you have something better that has similar features, maybe a little more robust, I'd like to have that too.

So, drop me a link to it if anyone can. I'll be very happy to get it again. Thanks!

I can only remember one ZDoom-specific launcher, and that was a pretty pathetic, buggy Visual Basic affair called "ZLauncher", not updated since the days of 2.0.47 or so.

Get ZDL by BioHazard or CDL by Jodwin if you want an up-to-date launcher. Now if you really want something that exposes like 1000 possible ZDoom options in several tabs, buttons, checkboxes and text fields....

"Now if you really want something that exposes like 1000 possible ZDoom options in several tabs, buttons, checkboxes and text fields...."

You have my ear there. Tell me more :)

>Taken a look at CDL, and found it useful, but still want to explore more options. I am familiar with ZDL, not quite a fan of.

Carniverous Goat said:

You have my ear there. Tell me more :)

Well as I said only ZLauncher/ZDoom Launcher did this thing in particular.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDoom_Launcher

However I remember it working rather inconsistently (e.g. it would lose configuration files, some things would be ignored as they become obsolete by the new ZDoom executables etc.). Also looks like it hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years.

I remember, there was another good launcher. A little bit confusing at the beginning, but very powerful and with endless options. It's called CMD and the good thing is, it comes together with MS Windows! I dont't wnt to blow a big mindfart here, but I would like to encourage you to try the command line. Really. It's not soo complicated as you might thing and gives your endless possibilities
and maybe a better understanding of what's under the hood.

Just google a little bit for "command line" and maybe "batch programming". You'll find plenty of good tutorials and how2s.

I know there is a "launcher avoidance culture" at play here for some reason, but usually when someone asks for a launcher, using the command-line and learning hundreds of options by heart is precisely what he's trying to avoid.

That being said, with ZDoom in particular you're better off experimenting with editing the .ini file or using the built-in console, if you really want to experiment with all possible settings: you simply won't find a launcher that is up-to-date with current ZDoom/GZDoom executables. Plus. an external launcher that does something so specific is only good if you have 2-3 special configurations that you use very particular mods, and then again you could simply swap .ini files in and out.

thanks, i´ll try those other launchers too.

i´ve been using jeffrey cuenco´s zdlaunch (see the link in maes´ post) for years because i liked its clear style and didn´t need anything else. the link is dead and the author has discontinued development, so i´ve uploaded it here if you want to try it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x0mqc5i5yk8yml9

it´s true that the program loses its settings (resolution, difficulty , executable etc) when you start a new wad and SAVE your settings - quite a paradox. well, it´s more a question what you´re used with...