Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

what pleased you most about Doom?

Well, DN3 wasn't as polygon-based as Quake, and it still ran like crap. With Quake, I could understand the whole "real 3D" thing. With titles such as DN3 or ROTT I could find (and still can't find) any excuse for lagging so behind Doom in terms of performance, despite delivering the same type of visuals. The only game of that era that I recall was just as smooth as Doom was, unexpectedly, Dark Forces.

I remember when I was playing DN3D in my 486, everything was ok unless you woke up enemies. There are 8 enemies in front of you sleeping. Fire one shoot and suddenly they wake up and the frame rate crawls like hell. Some very advantanced or very unoptimized AI?

hex11 said:

It's all subjective. I don't like the look of polygon stuff, even the most advanced engines of today. To make matters worse, they also tend to go heavy on the lighting effects and other things that just end up looking cheesy to me (and thus often distracting).

Yep, in many games I disable HDR effects. The light is blinding or colors just looks wrong. It's a gimmick.

Optimus said:

I remember when I was playing DN3D in my 486, everything was ok unless you woke up enemies. There are 8 enemies in front of you sleeping. Fire one shoot and suddenly they wake up and the frame rate crawls like hell. Some very advantanced or very unoptimized AI?

When the friend I used to play with finally got a sound card all I had to do was hit a few of the taunt keys and he was a sitting duck.

Optimus said:

Yep, in many games I disable HDR effects. The light is blinding or colors just looks wrong. It's a gimmick.

exactly this. the first things i disable are effects like HDR, DoF or motion blur, my pet peeve with modern games. i mean, how the hell am i supposed to aim if the visuals are blurred? additionally to what slower LCD monitors are doing anyway. it might look nice, but i can't see how people can play like that.

one interesting bit, after reading the doom renderer optimization thread i tried software again (zdoom instead of gzdoom), something i haven't used for a long time, and i quite like it. lights are prettier in opengl of course, but building and textures look sharper and cleaner imo, something evident in the shots posted there. probably because doom's textures are very low-res by modern standards and tend to look blurred in opengl.

I don't know what HDR is, but motion blur, DOF and (my own personal pet peeve) lens flare are completely contrary to the very concept of a first person perspective.

What's so stupid about them is your EYES will actually create the effect. Looking at something in the middle of the screen? The rest is going to appear blurry. Something moving across the screen fast? Your brain has motion blur covered.

Pirx said:

lights are prettier in opengl of course, but building and textures look sharper and cleaner imo, something evident in the shots posted there. probably because doom's textures are very low-res by modern standards and tend to look blurred in opengl.

You can turn filtering off in OpenGL. (576th mention of this fact in the forums.)

The fact that it was the only fun I ever had at my stepdad's house.

Maes said:

Well, DN3 wasn't as polygon-based as Quake, and it still ran like crap. With Quake, I could understand the whole "real 3D" thing. With titles such as DN3 or ROTT I could find (and still can't find) any excuse for lagging so behind Doom in terms of performance, despite delivering the same type of visuals. The only game of that era that I recall was just as smooth as Doom was, unexpectedly, Dark Forces.

Seems they added some features to the core tech and that made it some mini bloatware.