Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Bobby Prince appreciation thread. (It's not just lame metal midis!)

Many doomers here prefer Aubrey Hodges ambient music for Doom. Their point is "Bobby Prince score is all lame metal midis". Is that true?

Not at all IMO.

Most of the music in Doom games is really awesome, spooky and atmospheric, like Dark Halls, Suspense, The Demons From Adrian's Pen, They're Going To Get You, Sinister, Nobody Told Me About id, DOOM, Waiting For Romero To Play, Adrian's Asleep, Opening To Hell and Doom and Doom II ending tracks.

There are some great hellish orchestra tracks, like Demons On The Prey, Waltz Of The Demons, Getting Too Tense and Doom II Intermission

There's some weird but fun stuff in Doom II that fits its surrealistic setting well enough, like Countdown To Death, Between Levels and Message For The Archvile

Both Wolf3D tracks are awesome and fit the secret levels well

Even many tracks that are technically "metal midis" are really nice, like Sign Of Evil and Hiding The Secrets.

Yeah, there's stuff like At Doom's Gate, I Sawed The Demons and especially Kitchen Ace that's annoying and gets old fast but the point is - it's the minority. Most of the Doom music is classic and the game feels incomplete without it.

As for general MIDI sound quality - Doom score was written with real Sound Canvas hardware in mind and those lucky who got it mid 90's can confirm: it sounds just great! GUS is fine too. Adlib is a bit lacking, but that was a common among western composers to be not very good at FM music -leave it for Japanese musicians.

Don't get me wrong, I love ambient (especially in Stalker games) but my point is Doom is better with it's classic songs.

Bobby Prince's music was great. I think his best stuff is in ROTT and Duke Nukem 3D though.

Processingcontrol said:

I think his best stuff is in ROTT and Duke Nukem 3D though.

I disagree. The best ROTT and Duke 3D music was written by Lee Jackson. He's and awesome composer and his music kinda resembles Japanese console games music from late 80's and early 90's. Bobby's contributions for these games are a bit lacking and nowhere near as good as his Doom music. The only really awesome track by him is Aliens, Say your Prayers in Duke 3D.

Bobby's Doom music never gets old. Also, don't forget the other DOS games Duke2, Keen 4-6, Major Stryker, Blake Stone, etc. He's my favorite game composer.

Orchid87 said:

I disagree. The best ROTT and Duke 3D music was written by Lee Jackson. He's and awesome composer and his music kinda resembles Japanese console games music from late 80's and early 90's.

Huh? Jackson's ROTT music sounds like dance music to me.

I think music from Doom II was better than in the first episode. I love musics from Aubrey Hodges too, it really set a new atmosphere to the games.

Of course Bobby grunts when he's gettin' his swell on at the gym...because he's the fuckin' man, and everyone should know it!

Lee Jackson's ROTT music is better than anything Prince ever did, though I do like Prince's music.

Orchid87 said:

Yeah, there's stuff like At Doom's Gate, I Sawed The Demons and especially Kitchen Ace that's annoying and gets old fast

The E1M1 song is never annoying and never gets old. :[

DeathevokatioN said:

E1M8 and the midi that plays at the end of each episode in UD are the best midis ever... only rivaled by Heretics midis and some of Lee's Duke midis.

Which is better, E2M8 or E3M8? Or Demons on the Prey aahahahaha?

By "midi that plays at the end of each episode in UD", I think DE meant D_VICTOR, not D_E2M8 or D_E3M8.

His music for Wrack sounds like its gonna kick ass

Well I always thought of myself as the biggest PSX Doom fan ever. I remember myself, my brother and our mates just gathering round to listen to the music from PSX Doom, wishing they would bring it out on CD.

For me, the Hangar and Toxin Refinery themes symbolise everything about Doom. They are Doom. They're empty, melancholy and achingly lonely, just like the abandoned (by humans) environment of Phobos on which the levels are set. There's the feeling that you're on this moon and you're the only human alive there, everyone else is gone. The kind of thing any modern day Evanescence fan would understand!

The Command Control is one of the creepiest things I've ever heard. I remember one Friday night, my mate and I (both 17 at the time) were sitting in his room on a Friday night playing a linked PSX Co-op game on Redemption Denied (which uses the same music) and I had this really bizarre but incredibly vivid idea about setting a Doom map with that music to an abandoned nightclub.

I could hear some of the tracks in my head at times as I was out and about in the real world - thinking about it, hearing PSX Doom music in your head all the time could bring on some weird depressive episode, so really it's not the kind of music you sit and listen to except for the Hangar and Toxin Refinery.

As for the PC music, some of the Ultimate Doom tracks were pretty good and I still think of them fondly. PC Doom 2's music... oh dear, as my mate once put it when the Entryway theme was doing its crazy thing, "This isn't music!"

Oh and I thought the Doom 64 soundtrack took everything that was emotion-evoking from the PSX music, then left it behind in a bin, leaving only the cruel and faceless part. And as a personal gripe, FUCK the Doom 64 monsters, they look ridiculous. (My apologies to D64 fans)

printz said:

Which is better, E2M8 or E3M8? Or Demons on the Prey aahahahaha?

E2M8 is da best! So much awesomeness and creepiness at the same time.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Bobby Prince's DOOM music is so much better than the weak ambiance of some of the ports. The original DOOM soundtrack is the best and my favorite. I listen to it a LOT and I never get bored of it.

x2

Gez said:

By "midi that plays at the end of each episode in UD", I think DE meant D_VICTOR, not D_E2M8 or D_E3M8.

Yeah you are correct. :)

Another soundtrack that I think needs more appreciation as well is the Hexen one, very atmospheric and fitting to the game.

All I can say is that both the original and newer ambient music are good in their own ways, but I don't exactly prefer one more than the other.

Gez said:

The E1M1 song is never annoying and never gets old. :[

And every time I play the PSX version I miss Kitchen Ace on E1M4. I'm a fan of both soundtracks, though.

You just found maes a new avatar.

I'll listen to the Doom midis when I get home. The remixed versions for Classic Doom 3 were amazing.