Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom Mania II

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buttspit

Who has the shovelware add-on Doom Mania II?

I just recently found it among my stuff, I'm surprised I still have it.

I managed to transfer the contents onto an older PC, but Microsoft Security Essentials fired off when I did. I'm wondering if these are just false positives or are the makers of that add-on really that evil (Greyghost, I'm sort of inclining towards you on this :P And what's with all my malware encounters recently).

Old Post 03-07-12 00:46 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

Everyone has it:
http://cd.textfiles.com/doom2mania/

Old Post 03-07-12 01:16 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

It sucks the way these CD's are organized sometimes. I just received Deathday in the mail today, and was surprised to find that every single wad is stored in it's own folder. Such a nuisance.

Old Post 03-07-12 01:18 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
zredgemz
Warming Up

i just got a copy of doom 2 mania and doom mania, i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "
did you get the same thing?

Old Post 03-07-13 09:07 #
zredgemz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

40oz said:
It sucks the way these CD's are organized sometimes. I just received Deathday in the mail today, and was surprised to find that every single wad is stored in it's own folder. Such a nuisance.

Find *.wad?

Old Post 03-07-13 09:39 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

buttspit said:
And what's with all my malware encounters recently.
You're just cursed with having a functioning virus checker. ;-)

zredgemz said:
i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "
There's a little utility called netcheat.exe which tends to fall foul of virus checkers, ESET Smart Security thinks it's the Taipan.666 virus. Don't know that it's a virus as such, but to the best of my recollection it is malware, a "cheat utility" that disrupts LAN-based Doom games.

According to Game Bytes Magazine in their review of Doom 2, "DOOM was the largest reason for loss of productivity on networked machines in the United States." and netcheat.exe was probably released in an attempt to make the office network a deathmatch-free zone.

Old Post 03-07-13 09:46 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

zredgemz said:
i just got a copy of doom 2 mania and doom mania, i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "
did you get the same thing?

Yep, exactly that. I read around last year about that. So they say the virus doesn't really cause much damage (DOS, for what it was intended).

Speaking of that, Greyghost, I've seen many cases where memory cheat tools are detected as malware. But at the same time, I read that talpain_666 changed many files to include some text string at the start. I'm sure this only worked back in the day, so to speak.

Old Post 03-07-13 17:59 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote