Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Beat the first Episode of Doom 1
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Superrpgman
Warming Up

Alright, I just beat the first boss/es.

I died about 3 times before realizing that there were a bunch of spectres around me. I died about 5 times before realizing that the rockets that I had been saving for the boss/es are able to damage me as well.

I probably died about 10 times before I came up with the strategy to kill the boss on the left quickly with 35 or so rockets and taking his little "house" hostage, Chaingunning all the spectres, and using another 35 or so rockets to take out the remaining boss himself. I was left with about...I wanna say 60% health left, and...I think 20% armor, give or take.

After this, I was kinda confused about what to do next, so I made an extra save, and after a couple minutes I found a switch in the right "house," and a minute later, I figured out what the heck it did.

I checked the map, and noticed that while I found the one secret in the level, there were about 15 or so enemies left(It's a feature of ZDoom.) Considering that I was nearly dead, and I only had about 18 or so rockets left, I was kinda scared that I'd have to restart the whole level over, kill the bosses again, and end up fighting 2 more of the same demon.. Thankfully that didn't happen, as I made my way to what I assume was a portal to...

*The rest of the post will contain early game spoilers. You have been warned!*

...hell itself. Several enemies spawned, and I pretty much was dead in 2 seconds. I got a message basically saying that if you thought you were supposed to get some cool ending for beating the game, you're wrong, because you still have 2 more sets of levels to go through(technically 3 since I'm playing The Ultimate Doom.) if I want to actually complete the game.

This is my guess for what happened. I beat the 2 big demons on the moon(I thought I was on Mars too. Odd.) in hopes of stopping all the legions of hell from arriving on Earth, then I ran into where the demons came from, hell itself. I was killed by the several legions that came out of it, and now I'm about to arrive on the entrance to hell itself!

I'm gonna stop for the night, but damn did that ending feel good!

Oh, and btw, I keep meaning to ask. Do you get anything for finding every secret on all of the levels in an episode?

Old Post 03-23-12 11:13 #
Superrpgman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Are you actually for real?

Old Post 03-23-12 11:18 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
jdagenet

No you do not get anything extra for finding every single secret, the only thing you achieve is 100% secrets.

Old Post 03-23-12 11:20 #
jdagenet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
KiiiYiiiKiiiA

Good work for finishing the first episode.

Old Post 03-23-12 11:41 #
KiiiYiiiKiiiA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Gez said:
:D

Old Post 03-23-12 12:10 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Spammer

Sounds awesome, I gotta play this sometime.

Old Post 03-23-12 12:19 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DIE-KNOW-MIGHT! You're cooking with gas!

Old Post 03-23-12 12:27 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

For UV Max, 100% kills and secrets definitely right, except for exceptional cases. To get 100% kills is impossible in E1M8, unless using the iddqd cheat code, and indeed this map have a broken ending. When health decreased to nearly 0, then this map ends, as well as the whole episode. In E2M8 and E3M8, kill the boss will automatically ends the game. Actually some other wads like 2002ado E1M8 have the similar ending.

Old Post 03-23-12 13:04 #
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Gez said:
It's Husky!

*me waits for YouTube video*

Old Post 03-23-12 13:10 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
To get 100% kills is impossible in E1M8

Not quite, you can rocket-spam liberally in the final room, since you're going to end the level even if you die, so it's plausible that you can get 100% kills (dunno what the actual record for a COMPET-N uv-max demo is, though).

Old Post 03-23-12 13:49 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

GreyGhost said:
It's Husky!
Are you positive?

Old Post 03-23-12 13:52 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Spammer

printz said:
Are you positive?

No. Husky is playing Doom 2.

Old Post 03-23-12 14:12 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

You shouldn't need more than 4-6 rockets for one. If it's still alive after that, then just finish it off with shotgun or minigun.

Old Post 03-23-12 16:36 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

This game sounds intense.

Old Post 03-23-12 17:41 #
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
janvknn

Welcome to 1994!

Old Post 03-23-12 17:45 #
janvknn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkman 4
Heh fanboy.

That's pretty cool! I hope you like EPisode 2 as much as you did Episode 1.

Old Post 03-23-12 17:50 #
Darkman 4 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
baronofheck82

Wow, I'm impressed. I never was able to beat those big badasses at the end of Episode 1. I wonder what E2 is like...

Old Post 03-23-12 19:41 #
baronofheck82 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Wow, that sounds like quite an experience. That's the right way to play. GJ.

Old Post 03-23-12 19:44 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Spammer

This game sounds real batshit insane fun. What is it called?

Old Post 03-24-12 00:40 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz

{post invalidated by making another unfunny "this game i never heard of before sounds fun" post.}

Old Post 03-24-12 00:46 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes
Forum Staple

I appreciate the enthusiasm displayed here.

Old Post 03-24-12 00:47 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Spammer

40oz said:
{post invalidated by making another unfunny "this game i never heard of before sounds fun" post.}

Who said anything about being funny.

Old Post 03-24-12 00:53 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Clonehunter said:

Superrpgman said:
Beat the first Episode of Doom 1.

But now I see you were being sarcastic.

Old Post 03-24-12 00:54 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Retog

This made me laugh but i'm glad that new players are getting into doom. I don't think you needed to warn us about spoilers since it is quite an old game which this site is dedicated to, the story isn't the main focus and most of us here have played that game through at least 10 times; some possibly 100's.

Congratz for getting through it for the first time.

Old Post 03-24-12 01:08 #
Retog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Retog

Clonehunter said:

haha I see what you did there.

Old Post 03-24-12 01:10 #
Retog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glenzinho
Forum Regular

Gez said:

This (scratches head)

Old Post 03-24-12 04:13 #
glenzinho is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darkman 4
Heh fanboy.

It is neat seeing that people are still getting into Doom in 2012, despite the assholes here. I think pretty much most of us have forgotten was it was like to go through E1 for the first time, so I like seeing how newbies react to it.

Old Post 03-24-12 04:23 #
Darkman 4 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

Wow, it been like what, fiver/four years since I've first completed E1. I remember when I beat it I though I'd beat the game and a couple months later, I found The Shores of Hell but I didn't think it was Episode 2, I though it was Doom 2, that wall until I saw Doom 2 videos on YouTube and then shortly after realized that The Ultimate Doom had 4 Episodes.

Getting though E1 was amazing for me, I hadn't seen Doom on YouTube or anything, just randomly downloaded it on XBOX LIVE ARCADE when I was looking for a new FPS. I didn't look up any of the routs or anything on YouTube so beating the game (well, E1) felt much more rewarding than had I done the latter.

Oh god, that felt so long ago. I remember when I started E3, how complicated the game felt. So non-linear in comparison to modern FPS games, which at the time was the only thing I played.

What memories. Doom is such an important part of my life, hard to imagine how much harder life would be had I not found it. Almost 3000 hours spent on it and not a second of regret. Doom in now the only game I play (Well, I occasionally play Blood online).

Doom has brought me quite allot of fulfillment, I can't even describe it in words what this game has done for my life.

I miss my old XBOX 360, playing Deathmatch was amazing. I remember my first match with briangate1 on Fortress of Mystery, he was the person that got me into spreed running. When I first Deathmatched him, I was amazed at his skill. He was the first person that could beat me at Deathmatch (keep in mind XBOX live is full of retards) and I considered him the best Doomer ever. That was way before I heard the likes of Radek Pecka, Jim Leonard, Drew DeVore, Marijo Sedlic, Vincent CatalaŠ, Anders Johnsen, Henning Skogsto, Adam Williamson & Hegyi, Chris Ratcliff and so on as I could go on and on and on about all the great COMPET-N players. It was Tatsuya Ito's YouTube channel that inspired me to do COMPET-N demos, specifically this video.

Old Post 03-24-12 08:15 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Darkman 4 said:
despite the assholes here
Like monkeys in a tree. Those on the higher branches look down and see smiling faces, while the ones on the lower branches look up and see assholes. ;-)

Old Post 03-24-12 08:49 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

janvknn said:
Welcome to 1994!

Quoted for truth. (actually I didn't finished doom until 96 ;) )

Old Post 03-24-12 09:43 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote