Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom 32X prototype ROMS

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:20. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Glisp

And no, this is not a thread for downloading them as I'm not sure about how legal they actually are, since they are ROMS after all.

But anyway, back in February of 2008, a guy named drx released a massive amount of Genesis/Mega Drive, Gamecube, Sega 32X, and Mega CD/Sega CD prototypes. Among these were 16 builds of Doom 32X.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. "Farts and Zippers" version. Well, the earliest prototype is completely silent and the second one features a primitive (and possibly better) version of "At Doom's Gate.

The earliest two prototypes also use the PC textures and geometry before using the Jaguar layouts in builds after that. They were also fullscreen. Unfortunately, it causes performance problems as the game is kinda choppy at points. In addition, both of these protos cannot be completed because the game freezes after the level 5 end switch is pressed.

I've actually started a list of changes between the prototypes here on this Doomwiki page: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_32X_Development

There's also a screenshot gallery at the bottom of the page you can look at.

This list is far from done though I'm afraid. I still have to dig in more thoroughly. Of noting, there are actually four prototypes dated AFTER the release. Three of these go under the name "DOOM RR" whatever that means. These four have no noticable differences but some bugs may have been fixed. Needless to say, if this was a revision, SOA quickly canned the project.

Last edited by Glisp on 08-22-12 at 18:22

Old Post 08-22-12 18:12 #
Glisp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Thanks for that, it's interesting information.

Old Post 08-22-12 18:55 #
Use3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glisp

I'm in the middle of uploading a youtube video of the September 6th prototype so bear with me while it's uploading.

Last edited by Glisp on 09-01-12 at 21:52

Old Post 08-22-12 23:03 #
Glisp is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

There are actually remnants of the old textures in the final version's maps; E1M1's lowered sky ceiling for example. The Jag/32X version don't error out about missing textures.

I have to say, I'm glad they changed them. While some parts looked better using more variety, E1M1 is atrocious looking with STARGR2 being used everywhere. I loved the new texture themes E1M3 and E1M5 got in the final version, too.

Old Post 08-22-12 23:26 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glisp

I've uploaded a video of the 0906 prototype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcHoZ45bG-w

Old Post 08-23-12 04:19 #
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Always interesting to learn about obscure pieces of Doom history. Thanks.

Old Post 08-23-12 08:48 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
_bruce_

Love such oddities.
Nice to see the the 32X fighting for its life processing Doom.

Old Post 09-01-12 18:20 #
_bruce_ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Glisp said:
And no, this is not a thread for downloading them as I'm not sure about how legal they actually are, since they are ROMS after all.
Then why call the thread "Doom 32X prototype ROMS", why not call it "Doom 32X prototypes"?

I've never had a 32X much less played that version of Doom, so what stands out for me are (a.) front-only enemy sprites a la SNES Doom, (b.) no depth cueing (darkening with distance). Other than that, hm, not too shabby!

Old Post 09-02-12 01:56 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
miko508
Mini-Member

Interesting stuff. You've created an amazing resource for Doom 32X development!

Old Post 09-02-12 20:25 #
miko508 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote