Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Strife Multiplayer CD

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strife-Mult...0e#ht_500wt_923

Found this, think it's kinda interesting. I find the cover rather odd in that it's unique, and I didn't know this existed. ANyone have any extra light on it?

Anyone have a good quality version of that cover art?

Old Post 08-26-12 05:32 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

It's apparently the demo version, which I haven't seen on CD before. That cover looks to be based on the retail version's manual back cover.

Added to my eBay watch list.

Old Post 08-26-12 07:07 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Got it! One more for the collection. :-)

Old Post 09-01-12 02:10 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I know the pics from the listing weren't terrible, but any chance of getting some better scans up of the art? And nice grab.

Old Post 09-01-12 06:04 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Can do, I'll post some here after it's turned up.

Old Post 09-01-12 06:55 #
GreyGhost

Bump!

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/2005d4a80c8f3c13dedcaa2aefb42becd5931c5e2ed2b8b110b20c117c736d084g.jpg
(990x1000 - 196k)

Here we go, I was surprised to notice that the skull's a few shades darker than it appears on the retail manual. I settled on 200dpi for this scan since there's a bunch of fine marks and scratches on the sleeve that are bound to be more noticeable at a higher resolution, but I'll go higher if you want.

Old Post 09-18-12 12:56 #
Cire

Does this differ anything to the demos released online?

Old Post 09-22-12 03:03 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Finding out means breaking the seal, which I'm a little reluctant to do. I'd be surprised if it's any different to the demo in the archives.

Old Post 09-22-12 06:48 #
Cire

Yeah, I understand. I wonder how many of those CD:s were produced.

Old Post 09-22-12 07:00 #
Cire is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

GreyGhost said:
Finding out means breaking the seal, which I'm a little reluctant to do. I'd be surprised if it's any different to the demo in the archives.

There are two versions of the Strife teaser. One on the archive, and another.

I found the older teaser some times ago on a random website, but I don't remember which. And I don't really want to look for it too much because I remember it also had downloads for commercial Doom mods (Master Levels, etc.) so I couldn't share the link anyway.

Old Post 09-22-12 10:13 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

GreyGhost said:

Well what I found out about this one is how it says Multiplayer above all else. I don't know what the archive one is, but the heading on this one was just odd I guess. Also, that's a great scan, thanks!

Old Post 09-22-12 15:20 #
GreyGhost

Curiosity got the better of me, so I unglued one side of the sleeve and slid the disk out. It's the same version demo as in the archive but in a self-extracting zip file.

Old Post 09-22-12 16:00 #
Cire

Could you please make and upload an ISO image of the disc?

Old Post 09-24-12 20:24 #
GreyGhost

Can do. Nothing on the disk apart from the self-extracting zip, so it makes for a small download.

Old Post 09-25-12 01:46 #
Cire

Thanks. And there are no audio tracks or anything on the disc either, right?

Old Post 09-25-12 19:39 #
GreyGhost

That's the lot. IsoBuster's missing file scan didn't turn up anything else.

Old Post 09-26-12 01:38 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Also, is there any reason for this too be labeled as a Multiplayer Demo? You said its just the normal demo, so why the special heading? Because it's enabled?

Old Post 09-26-12 02:43 #
GreyGhost

There's some basic instructions printed on the CD, including how to launch a multiplayer game, so it'd be reasonable to assume it's enabled in all demo releases. I'll test that later on the home network, but don't hold your breath waiting since it'll probably involve some IPX to TCP voodoo to get things running.

Old Post 09-26-12 03:24 #
GreyGhost

GreyGhost said:
it'll probably involve some IPX to TCP voodoo to get things running.
Or use DOSBox's IPX emulation. Once I'd told the desktop's firewall to stop interfering it was dead easy to setup a LAN game with one of my laptops, running the archive's Strife demo on the IPX server and the CD demo on the client.

Old Post 09-26-12 15:46 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

DOSBox has IPX Emulation? If I understand that right, a multiplayer game could be setup then in something like Powerslave then, right? I didn't know it had that feature, but then, I hardly use it as is.

Old Post 09-26-12 22:56 #
GreyGhost

Clonehunter said:
DOSBox has IPX Emulation?
It has. Apart from a co-operative firewall, all the client PCs need to establish a connection is the server's IP address.

If I understand that right, a multiplayer game could be setup then in something like Powerslave then, right?
Don't have a copy of PowerSlave to test, but it should be possible if the game supports IPX networking.

I didn't know it had that feature, but then, I hardly use it as is.
It's a feature I'd forgotten about. With DOSBox's emulation being IP-based, I wonder how well it works over an Internet connection?

Old Post 09-27-12 03:21 #
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Hm, it would be interesting to find out. PowerSlave only supports an IPX connection (Despite other claims). I'd always be interested to find out with that game... I think in all turth whe it comes to BUild games, I think I like it a bit more than Blood even... Crazy, I know.

Hm, I should also see if there are any IPX emulators for other games that only support it.

Old Post 09-27-12 04:18 #
Quasar

Isle and I were able to test Strife deathmatch via DosBox's IPX-over-TCP/IP emulation, and it was fairly fluid over a distance of 2 states in the US. This was in the commercial version, however. I have no idea how the demo behaves in deathmatch as I've never analyzed that part of its executable.

Old Post 09-27-12 06:13 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Gez said:
I found the older teaser some times ago on a random website, but I don't remember which. And I don't really want to look for it too much because I remember it also had downloads for commercial Doom mods (Master Levels, etc.) so I couldn't share the link anyway.
Do it anyway, just so it isn't a completely useless post.

Old Post 09-27-12 09:13 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

Found a download link for the original demo on GameFront, just hope that's not the site Gez is referring to.

Old Post 09-27-12 10:02 #
Gez

No, it wasn't GameFront. It was a Doom-centric site with a listing of things available and a little commentary for each of them, with a rational for why it was there. The commentary for the Strife demo was along the line of "older demo than the one available on idgames".

Old Post 09-27-12 12:14 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Urban Space Cowboy said:
Do it anyway, just so it isn't a completely useless post.

Reason he can't is because it's against the forum rules, which prohibit warez, which distributing the master levels for free does count as such.

Old Post 09-27-12 12:26 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote