Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom's Knight Demoversion on iTunes

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:00. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Badboy

Doom's Knight Lite
http://itunes.apple.com/app/dooms-k...d441027029?mt=8
http://www.moalabllc.com/

somebody knows these guys? i mean respect to the fact that they sell clones today.

Old Post 09-10-12 12:03 #
Badboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Why would you respect someone selling a crappy Doom clone? The tendency for players to acclaim any turd thrown their way as long as it's made by the little guy (for more and more dubious definitions of "made" and "little guy") is what hurts video game quality more than any supposed dumbing down coming from eEeEevil corporations.

Old Post 09-10-12 12:50 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NoneeLlama

Paying for Freedoom with Oblige maps? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Old Post 09-10-12 18:03 #
NoneeLlama is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

Sometimes I wish I didn't have a conscious. When the iPhone source was released, I seriously considered using it to make a game and selling it, but I didn't have the drive to create the maps, much less all of the other resources needed. I never once considered ripping off FreeDoom and selling it as-is.

Old Post 09-10-12 18:06 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

NoneeLlama said:
Paying for Freedoom with Oblige maps? Sounds like a great deal to me.

That. Is it even legal that they're charging for FreeDoom content? I don't see anything in FreeDoom's license about using the content for profit, but it still doesn't seem right.

Old Post 09-10-12 18:27 #
Nomad is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GhostlyDeath
Forum Retard

Says the game is Free.

Also, which port are they based off anyway?

EDIT: Well, you could ask Apple about the source code for this GPL source port.

Last edited by GhostlyDeath on 09-10-12 at 19:22

Old Post 09-10-12 19:16 #
GhostlyDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I don't see the problem with this, especially that it's free of charge, but if you want a Doom-like experience on your iPhone, look for Gameception. It allows you to load PWADs. It has already been posted about on this forum

Also don't worry that Freedoom's resources aren't finished. Apps can be updated.

Old Post 09-10-12 19:25 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
chungy

Dragonsbrethren said:
Sometimes I wish I didn't have a conscious. When the iPhone source was released, I seriously considered using it to make a game and selling it, but I didn't have the drive to create the maps, much less all of the other resources needed. I never once considered ripping off FreeDoom and selling it as-is.

Nothing quite wrong with that -- it would be absolutely wonderful to see an original game based on the Doom engine for iPhone with work and care put into it.

Selling Freedoom with OBLIGE maps is cheap, though.

Nomad said:
That. Is it even legal that they're charging for FreeDoom content? I don't see anything in FreeDoom's license about using the content for profit, but it still doesn't seem right.

Perfectly legal; Freedoom's license is specifically choosen to allow re-use of its resources as wide as possible, even in commercial releases. Using Freedoom wholesale and selling that, again, is a bit of a cheap shot, but can't be legally prevented without compromising the project's purpose.

And one more thing: the free software and open source definitions both specifically make sure to not prejudice against commercial or for-profit activity. It causes too much societal harm and enters into too much legal gray-area (what does "non-commerical" mean? It's trickier than you might think) to have any practical benefit at all. It also prevents things like companies selling Debian DVD sets (which happen to contain Freedoom!), who put the prices at around $20 so they just make a small profit and stay afloat on that -- absolutely nothing wrong with the practice, I say.

Old Post 09-10-12 19:52 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Isn't there already something called Hell on Earth for iOs that uses Freedoom? Or are these the same guys with new maps?

Old Post 09-10-12 21:44 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

chungy said:
Nothing quite wrong with that -- it would be absolutely wonderful to see an original game based on the Doom engine for iPhone with work and care put into it.

Selling Freedoom with OBLIGE maps is cheap, though.

Maybe Thomas van der Velden should look into getting Harmony up there :P

Old Post 09-10-12 22:07 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

scalliano said:

Maybe Thomas van der Velden should look into getting Harmony up there :P

I seem to remember there being a discussion about that a while ago.

You know, with Steam starting Greenlight, I wonder how long it'll be until these same Freedoom mapsets start popping up there.

Old Post 09-10-12 22:59 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tango

"This game is amazingly similar to the XBOX game 'HALO Combat Evolved' which is the first ever HALO game known to man kind and possibly second best. The best is the anniversary version of this game which is 'HALO Combat Evolved Anniversary'. P.S. People must play this game or they will be shot by the flood,the covanent,truth and master chief! "

retard's review of DOOMED HERETIC app. sigh

Old Post 09-10-12 23:18 #
Tango is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote