Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Aubrey Hodges info

Eris Falling said:

Since there are lots of questions about PSX Music I may as well add my own, since I'm not sure if it was ever really cleared up.

In PSXMUS09 (used in Deimos Anomaly, Perfect Hatred, Lunar Mining Project), the low 'wailing' apparently are actual words slowed/pitched down by a considerable amount. Is this true, and if so, what are they saying?

Here you go mate.

Oww..same thread..I feel a bit stupid now.

Well thanks anyway, sounds like "Day one" to me rather than "Danny won" as I saw underneath, but I did have it pretty quiet.

Okay, so I posted a link to a video that was already linked on here at the beginning of this thread, d'oh! Oh well, since I can't delete this post I'll ask a new question:

Aubrey, if you were asked to do music for "Doom 4," would you, and how similar (or not) would it be to the PSX/N64 versions? Maybe we could get a petition going to make that a reality.

GoatLord said:

Aubrey, if you were asked to do music for "Doom 4," would you, and how similar (or not) would it be to the PSX/N64 versions? Maybe we could get a petition going to make that a reality.

It's unfortunately probably not very realistic to expect this to happen, but it would be absolutely amazing if he could work on it. I think his idea of what Doom should sound like is far better than whoever did the audio in the final version of Doom 3.

Hell, it'd be really awesome if Aubrey could work with Reznor to create some awesome mixture of styles between the alpha version of Doom 3 and PSX Doom. If only this was more than unrealistic fantasy. :/

Wow, it is great when someone who worked on Doom games comes to have a chat with us! Your music is awesome, I would LOVE to see you make stuff for Doom 4.

Sodaholic said:

It's unfortunately probably not very realistic to expect this to happen, but it would be absolutely amazing if he could work on it. I think his idea of what Doom should sound like is far better than whoever did the audio in the final version of Doom 3.

Hell, it'd be really awesome if Aubrey could work with Reznor to create some awesome mixture of styles between the alpha version of Doom 3 and PSX Doom. If only this was more than unrealistic fantasy. :/

I suppose it would depend on the scale of what they wanted me to accomplish with the audio design and score. My current employer would have to approve and the project would have to have zero impact on my current schedule of games to complete for Backflip Studios. I would bring back the Doom main theme in a bigger, badder and more intense flavor. Most likely have it played by an orchestra and metal band. A combination of Dark Ambient score and musical motifs woven throughout to give the game a more cinematic feeling. It also depends heavily on what they actually create and how story centric the new game will be. It's up to id really, they can feel free to call and see where things go. Either way, I am plenty busy at the moment working on some of the most slick casual games out there.

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

I suppose it would depend on the scale of what they wanted me to accomplish with the audio design and score. My current employer would have to approve and the project would have to have zero impact on my current schedule of games to complete for Backflip Studios. I would bring back the Doom main theme in a bigger, badder and more intense flavor. Most likely have it played by an orchestra and metal band. A combination of Dark Ambient score and musical motifs woven throughout to give the game a more cinematic feeling. It also depends heavily on what they actually create and how story centric the new game will be. It's up to id really, they can feel free to call and see where things go. Either way, I am plenty busy at the moment working on some of the most slick casual games out there.

-Aubrey

Awww, well one can hope :(

What about making midis for some WIP Wads? For instance, the Knee Deep in Zdoom team is currently remaking the second episode of Doom 1 "The Shores of Hell", giving it a major visual and gameplay overhaul.

Another WAD in which your music would fit in perfectly would be Threshold of Pain 2, a map pack that emulates the style PSX Doom.

I bet your music would be very welcome in user-made WADs.

@Aubrey

It's awesome to see you here, I've "enjoyed" the Doom64 score since I was a teen, sitting in the dark, scared out of my mind to turn the next corner. Your music literally introduced me to dark ambient music, and in my opinion, made the Doom64 experience what it was.

Sodaholic said:

In PC Doom, the levels were much brighter and had plain looking lighting, but in PSX Doom, the levels were very dark and had atmospheric colored lighting. Was this change to the game's visuals made to compliment the new sound direction, or was it already like that before the new sound direction? I can kinda picture them using the original brighter levels since they intended to use the rock music in them.

I'm interested to know this too. The darker visuals and darker sound go together so well. I don't think either really would've worked by itself.

DooM_RO said:

Awww, well one can hope :(

What about making midis for some WIP Wads? For instance, the Knee Deep in Zdoom team is currently remaking the second episode of Doom 1 "The Shores of Hell", giving it a major visual and gameplay overhaul.

I'm developing TSoZD's soundtrack, so I'll comment on this: I highly doubt Aubrey would have the time or interest to work on a mod project for free (and completely understandably), with all the professional work he's keeping himself busy with, though it'd certainly be an honor to collaborate with him :)

(And we're not the Knee-Deep in ZDoom team, dammit!)

esselfortium said:

I'm developing TSoZD's soundtrack, so I'll comment on this: I highly doubt Aubrey would have the time or interest to work on a mod project for free (and completely understandably), with all the professional work he's keeping himself busy with, though it'd certainly be an honor to collaborate with him :)

(And we're not the Knee-Deep in ZDoom team, dammit!)

Oh, you're right, I shouldn't have posted that. (awesome track btw)

If you'd want to get yourself involved in Doom again, Aubrey, you should seriously contact id about it. I know they already have their guy that did the RAGE audio with them, but if you could at least collaborate and provide a bit of direction for them, that'd be a dream come true for many fans, and would make the end product of Doom 4 really awesome from an audio standpoint.

Sodaholic said:

If you'd want to get yourself involved in Doom again, Aubrey, you should seriously contact id about it. I know they already have their guy that did the RAGE audio with them, but if you could at least collaborate and provide a bit of direction for them, that'd be a dream come true for many fans, and would make the end product of Doom 4 really awesome from an audio standpoint.

I'd love to see Aubrey work on another Doom game more than anything.

But if he wanted the job that badly, I'm sure he knows what to do. He's already said that he's busy with other projects and enjoys doing what he's doing, so more power to him.

DoomUK said:

But if he wanted the job that badly, I'm sure he knows what to do.

Yeah I really don't think anyone comes here to be patronized by Sodaholic.

Use3D said:

Yeah I really don't think anyone comes here to see Sodaholic being enthusiastic and hopeful that Aubrey Hodges might return to Doom.

FTFY, and Sodaholic has a right to join any conversation he wants. Who WOULDN'T want Aubrey Hodges back writing music for Doom? :)

PS Aubrey, my brother says hello! :D

Dragonsbrethren said:

I'm interested to know this too. The darker visuals and darker sound go together so well. I don't think either really would've worked by itself.

I didn't have visuals to go on for quite some time during development. Lighting and actual textures came after the levels were fun to play (which takes a ton of tweaking). I was given great descriptions of what things would look like which helped a great deal. Eventually they got the actual art and lighting pass completed and we were fortunate that the everything came together perfectly.

-Aubrey

Aubrey, do you still have the original high quality versions of your sounds? I'd be interested in putting them in Doom64 EX.

j224 said:

Aubrey, do you still have the original high quality versions of your sounds? I'd be interested in putting them in Doom64 EX.

Unfortunatly no. Midway retained the rights to that material and now that they are gone I suspect those files lost forever. The completed compositions and all other rights have reverted to me now that they have been abandoned but I no longer have the original samples that were used to make them.

-Aubrey

How did this go on so long without me noticing? o.o Mr. Hodges, you're a great inspiration of mine when I make my ambient tracks! It's an honor seeing you on here!

/fanboy-ism over

Aubrey Hodges said:

Unfortunatly no. Midway retained the rights to that material and now that they are gone I suspect those files lost forever. The completed compositions and all other rights have reverted to me now that they have been abandoned but I no longer have the original samples that were used to make them.

-Aubrey

Actually, someone did rip them from a ROM and posted all the samples in a thread. I don't think the download link is still working, but I managed to download the zip while it was up in the past. I can happily PM them if you are eager to have them back. Keep in mind, I don't think anyone has done the rips for the Final Doom samples yet since the game uses different formating for its contents.

Aubrey Hodges said:

-Aubrey

Were all the sounds created by you, or were some sourced from elsewhere, like sound libraries? As I understand it you created all the atmospheric sounds, but could you tell me what sound libraries you may have used for the guns, monsters, doors, etc?

Aubrey Hodges said:

-Aubrey

May I ask again if you gave actual titles to these ambient music compositions?

Impboy4 said:

Actually, someone did rip them from a ROM and posted all the samples in a thread.

If you mean ripped from a PSX Doom or Doom 64 ROM, then they aren't going to be the high-quality originals that were talked about.

Gez said:

If you mean ripped from a PSX Doom or Doom 64 ROM, then they aren't going to be the high-quality originals that were talked about.

Well, it's better than nothing though.

The game sounds aren't "better than nothing" as a replacement for the game sounds.

also, Kaiser said that Doom 64 ex extracts the tracking to some midi format, and uses the samples as a soundfont! contact him and you could have all but hi rez samples (if they ever were) Maybe this could be used for a hi remix, using similar samples..

Impboy4 said:

Actually, someone did rip them from a ROM and posted all the samples in a thread. I don't think the download link is still working, but I managed to download the zip while it was up in the past. I can happily PM them if you are eager to have them back. Keep in mind, I don't think anyone has done the rips for the Final Doom samples yet since the game uses different formating for its contents.

Aubrey Hodges said:

I didn't have visuals to go on for quite some time during development. Lighting and actual textures came after the levels were fun to play (which takes a ton of tweaking). I was given great descriptions of what things would look like which helped a great deal. Eventually they got the actual art and lighting pass completed and we were fortunate that the everything came together perfectly.

-Aubrey

Thanks for the answer. Based on this, I have another question: Did you ever make sounds for the Arch-Vile, or was it already decided that early that the monster wouldn't be making the cut? (It's a long shot, but if you did, do you still have them?)

I'm curious what your Arch-Vile would sound like. I find it the most "alien" sounding monster of the PC version. According to Bobby Prince, its wake up is supposed to be an evil laugh, but it's never sounded anything like a laugh to me, or particularly evil for that matter. It just sounds like an alien form of speech, not at all demonic.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Thanks for the answer. Based on this, I have another question: Did you ever make sounds for the Arch-Vile, or was it already decided that early that the monster wouldn't be making the cut? (It's a long shot, but if you did, do you still have them?)

I'm curious what your Arch-Vile would sound like. I find it the most "alien" sounding monster of the PC version. According to Bobby Prince, its wake up is supposed to be an evil laugh, but it's never sounded anything like a laugh to me, or particularly evil for that matter. It just sounds like an alien form of speech, not at all demonic.

I bet if it's slowed down a great deal and possibly reverse it, it may sound like a generic Evil Laugh you'd hear in a haunted house.