Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Which Episode of Doom 1 are your favorite?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ComicMischief

Could you elaborate? This is a forum of discussion, not Tourette's Sufferers Anonymous.

Myself, Episode 3's strongest moments come in levels like Mt. Erebus - not so much for the sprawling nature of the stage, but it helps - where the level offers so much in terms of exploration, monster fights, getting lost, et cetera. And yet, if the level is known inside-out, a player can cut it real fucking short. Play how you want to, the level's still challenging either way. Slough of Despair offers this much and (to a lesser extent) so does Unholy Cathedral.

The aesthetic of E3 may be lacking and occasionally painful, but I think the level layouts stand up very well. Even not-so-strong stages like House of Pain and Hell Keep are distinctive and memorable.

Again, I exempt boss stages and secret levels because of their nature. The rest is pretty damn cool. Even Limbo. Yeah, I said it.

Old Post 09-26-12 11:57 #
ComicMischief is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vermil

E1 is safer and more consistent and was built alongside the engine; J.Romero could probably go and ask for X feature.

E2 and E3 are more experimental but were designed once the engine was essentially finished; Sandy had to work with a largely set in stone set of features that were, mostly, originally designed for E1.

I think this shows right down to the wall textures; E1's artwork is generally alot more square and chunky than E2 and E3's textures which feature more curves.

Last edited by Vermil on 09-26-12 at 12:18

Old Post 09-26-12 12:08 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

Vermil said:
E1 is safer and more consistent and was built alongside the engine; J.Romero could probably go and ask for X feature.

He didn't ask for any features, he coded them up himself.

Vermil said:
E2 and 3 are more experimental, but were designed once the engine was essentially finished.

About 40% of those maps are actually Tom Hall's, which were made around the 0.5 mark. If he needed a feature, he could've asked for it. Hell, even teleporting was Tom's idea, and he made E2M1 to showcase its functionality.

Old Post 09-26-12 12:16 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DooM_RO

Episode 1 wins but E2M7 is the best map in Doom, right beside E1M7.

Old Post 09-26-12 16:13 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Snakes

Technician said:
Episode 1 for me. Episode 3 is Peterson's bowl movement.

Technician said:
Episode 3 is Peterson's bowl movement.

Technician said:
Peterson's bowl movement.

Who is Peterson and what is his bowling average?

Old Post 09-26-12 16:25 #
Snakes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
LakiSoft
Banned

Snakes said:

Who is Peterson and what is his bowling average?

Peterson is Sandy's surname.

Old Post 09-26-12 17:07 #
LakiSoft is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vermil

I think you miss the joke; people commonly mis-spell Sandy Petersen's surname as Peterson.

Old Post 09-26-12 17:09 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
hex11

I like all 3 original episodes equally, and have no favorite map designer.

Old Post 09-27-12 02:54 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote