Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Sever the Wicked

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:13. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Demon_Collector
Banned

Need a little help. I Sever the Wicked- (UD, Ep4 M3) how many secrets are there? It says 22 when I play yet I don't find them all and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret. Is there something wrong with my IWAD

Old Post 10-06-12 10:52 #
Demon_Collector is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Yes, but don't worry; it's also wrong in all other Ultimate Doom IWADs out there.

In Doom, a secret is a sector that is marked as being secret. But a sector is usually just a part of a room. Let's say you have a stairway with 20 steps: each of these steps is a different sector...

So, there are really only three different secret areas in that map. One is a monster closet (it counts as one secret); another is the torches in the alcove near the red key (count as two secrets, but you have to noclip to get them since the torches block you from entering these sectors), and the last is the room with a soul sphere (counts as nineteen secrets because each step of the stairway is secret).

Old Post 10-06-12 11:33 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Demon_Collector said:
and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret.
Are you sure you can get 100%? 20 out of 22, that is, 90% on the tally screen is maximum AFAIK.

Old Post 10-06-12 12:47 #
vdgg is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Never_Again
knows his birth month

Well, vdgg, I suppose your crystal ball told you that

and they will just randomly show up at the end of the game as 100% secret
means he got 100% secrets at the tally screen after E4M3, in which case the next proper question would be to ask what he plays it with. I'd be interested to know what port automatically adjusts the percentages on maps with known issues to produce 100% and, moreover, does so randomly. If that's what it is, of course, because my crystal ball simply sez "does not compute".

Demon_Collector said:
Need a little help.

Start here.

Old Post 10-06-12 13:27 #
Never_Again is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Hehe, I guess speedrunners were really annoyed by those stairs? Easy to miss a secret or two. :)

Old Post 10-06-12 13:28 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

The clamourous din of this area in question when played in a port that is noisy about secrets (ex., ZDoom, PrBoom-Plus) is something you will never forget once you have experienced it.

A SECRET IS REVEALED! ::CHONGGGGGG::

Old Post 10-06-12 17:38 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Guess why I used a fixed version of that map when playing... :D

Old Post 10-06-12 19:04 #
Graf Zahl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Graf Zahl said:
Guess why I used a fixed version of that map when playing... :D

Guess why I autoload a pk3 to remove that sound.

Old Post 10-06-12 19:06 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Guess why I don't actually play Doom :-D

Old Post 10-06-12 19:15 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Feniks
Mini-Member

Just play it in Chocolate Doom instead ;)

Haha, I've even disabled on-screen messages in Choco-Doom. An old habit from my DOS-Box days when I had to play Doom at low details.

Old Post 10-06-12 21:59 #
Feniks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Demon_Collector
Banned

So was it a deliberate thing done by IdGames?

Old Post 10-07-12 01:22 #
Demon_Collector is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

"Deliberate" is kinda stretching it. The two secret sectors you can't enter definitely weren't intentional, and every stair having the property probably wasn't either.

Old Post 10-07-12 01:34 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ledmeister

Dragonsbrethren said:
"Deliberate" is kinda stretching it. The two secret sectors you can't enter definitely weren't intentional, and every stair having the property probably wasn't either.
Playtesting the secrets was evidently not a priority in the 4th Episode. In addition to the problems on E4M3, it can also be tricky or impossible to get credit for discovering secrets on E4M1 and E4M7.

Old Post 10-08-12 05:46 #
Ledmeister is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote