Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Are the iwads in Doom 3: BFG Edition Modified?
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tuskin38
Warming Up

AFAIK, idTech 5 wrapper is only in the PS3 version, because it was easier to do that then to code the Doom net code for the PS3.

Old Post 10-17-12 04:06 #
Tuskin38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Badboy

Avoozl said:
I don't understand why things that were allowed in games in the past have to be removed when they are being re-released years later.

? doom 1 wasnt allowed in germany until 2010, because of violence / to protect the youth. the included nazi symbols in doom II were still a problem (for the law). come on, you heard that about the strange germany. dont ask me why the publisher cut it for all countrys.

Old Post 10-17-12 04:43 #
Badboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I guess fascism is like a wart. You can cut it off but the root remains.

Old Post 10-17-12 05:16 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Raptomex

Doom 2 comes with that exclusive episode. Hopefully we'll be able to use it with some of the source ports soon.

Old Post 10-17-12 06:01 #
Raptomex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tuskin38
Warming Up

Raptomex said:
Doom 2 comes with that exclusive episode. Hopefully we'll be able to use it with some of the source ports soon.

You talking about "No Rest for the Living"? You already can

BFG folder/base/wads/nerve.wad

Just run it with Doom 2

Old Post 10-17-12 06:02 #
Tuskin38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
pagb
Mini-Member

Oh man, there are no .pk4 files anymore. Where do I put my Trent Reznor sounds? Doom3 sounds so dull without them...

Old Post 10-17-12 09:35 #
pagb is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

pagb said:
Oh man, there are no .pk4 files anymore. Where do I put my Trent Reznor sounds? Doom3 sounds so dull without them...

I have no idea. I was disappointed when RAGE used .resources as well.

Old Post 10-17-12 09:37 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
InsanityBringer

The censorship of the wolf3d levels could be worse -- we could have this unsightly chap on all of the walls:

http://basementnet.us/ryan/doom/wolftex/ZZWOLF7558.png

(this was extracted from the GBA version of doom 2, heh)

Old Post 10-17-12 13:49 #
InsanityBringer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TheEndOfUs

Whats the matter? Everyone knows that historical symbolism is the root of all evil in the world. Ultra-violence & simulated murder on the other hand, is completely harmless. Pfft, some people...

Old Post 10-17-12 14:14 #
TheEndOfUs is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

InsanityBringer said:
The censorship of the wolf3d levels could be worse -- we could have this unsightly chap on all of the walls:

[IMAGE]

(this was extracted from the GBA version of doom 2, heh)

Looks like Wilhelm Strasse aka Death's Head from RTCW.

Old Post 10-17-12 14:22 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Yes, the BFG edition IWAD for Doom2 is censored, especially in regards to the secret levels. Fuck that.

Old Post 10-17-12 16:08 #
Glaice is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tuskin38
Warming Up

Mr. Chris said:

Yes, the BFG edition IWAD for Doom2 is censored, especially in regards to the secret levels. Fuck that.

Guess they were too lazy to make special versions for countries that outlaw Nazi symbolism.

Old Post 10-17-12 16:39 #
Sodaholic

Is the SS guard still in the cast of characters in the endgame?

Old Post 10-17-12 23:53 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Edward850

Sodaholic said:
Is the SS guard still in the cast of characters in the endgame?

He was never in there in the first place.

Old Post 10-18-12 00:00 #
Edward850 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tuskin38
Warming Up

Edward850 said:

He was never in there in the first place.

Off topic, but the Caco in the wiki's logo is adorable.

Old Post 10-18-12 00:03 #
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Tuskin38 said:
Off topic, but the Caco in the wiki's logo is adorable.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hissy

Old Post 10-18-12 00:05 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tuskin38
Warming Up

scalliano said:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hissy

Ah neat.

Old Post 10-18-12 00:06 #
Doomguy 2000
Banned

Mr. Chris said:

What doesn't make logical sense is that they all of the sudden had to censor the secret levels and called them "IDKFA" and "Keen" when it had that Nazi symbolism for many of their previous ports.

Old Post 10-18-12 02:09 #
Doomguy 2000 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

Doomguy 2000 said:

What doesn't make logical sense is that they all of the sudden had to censor the secret levels and called them "IDKFA" and "Keen" when it had that Nazi symbolism for many of their previous ports.

Tuskin38 said:

Guess they were too lazy to make special versions for countries that outlaw Nazi symbolism.

Old Post 10-18-12 02:41 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

They should have just deleted the maps and removed the secret exit location all together. Without the SS guards and Hitler portraits, the gag is totally lost.

Old Post 10-18-12 03:06 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomGater

Sorry guys,
but I don't understand all the fuss about this BFG edition.
What is the knack about that? We have the good old PC-IWADs which we used for many years, so who cares about this new BFG-Edition-Thingie? What is the benefit for us classic DOOM fans? And just by the way:
Do you really play the wolfenstein-levels so often, that you miss old Adolfs pics so badly? ;-)

In my eyes, the BFG-Edition is just another ripoff to make money and to keep the DOOM IP alive until Doom 4 arrives...

Old Post 10-18-12 08:37 #
DoomGater is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic

DoomGater said:
We have the good old PC-IWADs which we used for many years, so who cares about this new BFG-Edition-Thingie?

People care just because human beings are curious. There are differences in the IWADs, so people naturally take interest. Not that they have any interest in using them, of course, but people like to find out all the differences anyway.

DoomGater said:
In my eyes, the BFG-Edition is just another ripoff to make money and to keep the DOOM IP alive until Doom 4 arrives...

Pretty much, it's meant to keep the IP alive and to get some extra revenue to finish off Doom 4, which is their real focus. I wouldn't call it a ripoff, though. id didn't claim that this was going to be awesome, what they advertise is what you get: a compilation of all of the main Doom content, with the focus primarily on Doom 3. It's meant to address the crappiness of the original Doom 3, so it's a revised version. The Lost Mission is pretty much an incentive to get it. A lot of the gameplay is rather tweaked, actually. The maps are redesigned here and there, especially regarding where monsters spawn; it's not as cheap anymore, monsters tend to spawn more in front of you than behind.

Old Post 10-18-12 09:02 #
DoomGater

Hmmm, when I remember, that id Softyware gave away the 4th Episode of DOOM (which makes it inti Ultimate DOOM) for free, I think the BFG-Edition should be also awailable as free upgrade to Doom3.

That makes me think... it should be possible to make a Patch for
Doom 3 1.31, which makes it into the BFG-Edition. Flashlite-Mod, some
minor changes to level design, Monster placement...

Has anybody tried to run the BFG-Version with the old Doom3 1.31 exe??

Old Post 10-18-12 09:45 #
DoomGater is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic

DoomGater said:
Has anybody tried to run the BFG-Version with the old Doom3 1.31 exe??

Don't think they have, yet. I'm not sure how you'd go about it, since they appear to have different data structures.

Old Post 10-18-12 10:03 #
DoomGater

Sodaholic said:

I'm not sure how you'd go about it, since they appear to have different data structures.

Sorry, i did'nt know that:I never touched the BFG-Edition.

Old Post 10-18-12 10:15 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Since you're here, any chance of updating ladopato with these BFG IWADs?

(Also, the fixed Final Doom IWADs, too; but it's a separate issue.)

((And Heretic/Hexen.))

Old Post 10-18-12 10:40 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sodaholic

Gez said:
Since you're here, any chance of updating ladopato with these BFG IWADs?

Yes, this is a good idea. I've already created patches for you in the format that LADOPATO uses.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...n-iwad-patches/

Old Post 10-18-12 10:50 #
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

I believe the BFG Edition of Doom 3 also kills mod compatibility with everything the original version cherishes.

Graphics comparison with original Doom 3

No modding capability in BFG Edition

Last edited by Glaice on 10-18-12 at 18:15

Old Post 10-18-12 16:00 #
Glaice is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Mr. Chris said:
r_lightscale 2 used for "improved" lighting

This was already proven false when you posted it on ZDoom.org -- Doom 3 always defaulted to r_lightscale 2. Stop posting misinformation.

Old Post 10-18-12 17:06 #
esselfortium is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

I always thought it was lightscale 1, so yes I was misinformed. :c

Old Post 10-18-12 18:14 #