Sarge
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom Shareware Boxes

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:29. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
miko508
Mini-Member

Hello Doom World forum members, I have a question regarding the first boxed versions of Doom shareware.

I recently picked up a couple variations of Doom shareware, and I was surprised to receive one that is so small.

I know the larger one likely came bundled with other software, as one similar is currently on eBay bundled with Wolfenstein 3D.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Last edited by miko508 on 12-11-12 at 21:04

Old Post 10-31-12 19:41 #
miko508 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
baronofheck82

Awesome :) I always wondered what the Doom shareware box physically looked like and now I know.

Old Post 10-31-12 20:24 #
baronofheck82 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Nice find. The smaller box looks to be mail-order sized though I don't know if they were marketed that way.

Old Post 11-01-12 01:14 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
miko508
Mini-Member

Thanks for the responses, baronofheck82 & Grey Ghost! I'm hoping to have a copy of the mail order shareware from id.

From what I understand, the mail order shareware version from id is the first official physical representation of Doom.

I know that Doom was first released online, but I'm more interested in finding the first tangible format.

Some argue that id never released a mail order version of shareware. Can anyone shed some light on this topic? Thanks again!

Old Post 11-01-12 01:23 #
miko508 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiTROACTiVE
Forum Regular

I never wondered what the boxes for the shareware looked like and it's interesting to know that there are different versions of it. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Old Post 11-01-12 02:59 #
NiTROACTiVE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Do you have a clearer picture of the third image as I can't read the text on the back.

Old Post 11-01-12 03:41 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlektorophobiA
Mini-Member

There is a boxed shareware version that came with the retail version of Wolfenstein 3D, here is a video about it.

Old Post 11-01-12 05:07 #
AlektorophobiA is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
miko508
Mini-Member

NiTROACTiVE - No problem!

Mr. Chris - I've already packaged them back up for storage, but I was able to find this scan: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/d...CoverId,194558/

AlektorophobiA - In my quest for information about this topic, I've come across this video on YouTube. Thank you for posting it for others to see. It also serves as a great reference for what's inside the larger box.

Since we seem to have a consensus on the larger box (came bundled with other games), what's the deal with the smaller box? Is this the elusive mail-order version? Thanks again everyone!

Old Post 11-01-12 18:53 #
miko508
Mini-Member

So I guess my distilled question is, whats the deal with the small one?

Last edited by miko508 on 12-11-12 at 21:05

Old Post 11-03-12 03:24 #
miko508
Mini-Member

GreyGhost said in a different thread:

"Would be easier to tell if the boxes weren't shrinkwrapped. AFAIK, the smaller mail-order box was used for registered Doom up until v1.666."

Old Post 11-12-12 13:40 #