Reaper Grimm
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > zombi's Doom Collection - Updated: 2/23/13 (Graded Final Doom Added!)
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:54. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zombi
Green Marine

Hello everyone,

Thought this would be the right place to show this off. Maybe some collectors around here would be interested...

About a month ago I was lucky enough to purchase a factory-sealed copy of Doom 64. It was in such good condition, I decided to send it away to the Video Game Authority to be graded and preserved. This company rates sealed and complete video games, as well as other collectibles. As their name suggests, they are the "authority" when it comes to grading condition.

I got my game back the other day and it scored at 85+ Near Mint condition, which is their "Gold" tier.

When an items condition warrants classification within this level, the smallest of flaws are judged and taken into account to determine the exact grade received. The select few items which receive these grades are among the highest quality in existence. A very small percentage of items submitted to VGA receive a Gold level grade. An items flaws must be very minor, subtle, and can often be difficult to identify with the naked eye. A collector who is extremely condition sensitive should be satisfied with the condition of a Gold level item in the vast majority of instances.

Nintendo 64 games are especially hard to get in this condition, because their packaging is prone to damage and the plastic wrap of a sealed game is also very fragile. I pride myself in knowing that I have one of my favorite games, preserved in this condition. It is sealed in a protective UV casing.

Anyways, here are some pictures:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/trioxin/Video%20Game%20Collection/doom64_n64_front_vga_5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/trioxin/Video%20Game%20Collection/doom64_n64_back_vga_3.jpg

Last edited by zombi on 02-24-13 at 00:16

Old Post 11-02-12 03:10 #
zombi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Sarcose
Mini-Member

That's awesome, dude. Hang onto that. A favorite game in collectible condition is worth so many feels.

Old Post 11-02-12 03:14 #
Sarcose is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
jdagenet

Amazing find!
To have have a game that is still sealed AND in perfect condition is truely amazing.

Old Post 11-02-12 03:50 #
jdagenet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Very nice! How much does a mint boxed copy of Doom 64 go for anyway? I imagine having it graded like that adds to the value too.

I've been collecting older games lately (Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1, etc). Although I don't really have the free money to shell out for mint copies of most games. But what always bothered me about SNES and N64 games, both back in the day and now, is that they were packaged in those fragile cardboard boxes. Nowadays it's a bigger problem just because not many of them survived, which makes it really difficult to buy a mint boxed copy of those games without paying a lot more.

Anywho, I seem to have lost of copy of Doom 64 (which was broken so I guess it's no big loss). It's on my list of games I really want to get. It would be pretty awesome to get one like yours since I doubt I'd actually play it on a N64. Not when there's D64EX to play with :)

Old Post 11-02-12 05:04 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
SweatyGremlins
Mini-Member

That's really nice, I love the back of the box.

Feels like more of a sequel than Doom 2 but... DooM64!

Now let's play the other 63, sixty-three Dooms so fun fun

Old Post 11-02-12 09:12 #
SweatyGremlins is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Mechadon said:
Very nice! How much does a mint boxed copy of Doom 64 go for anyway? I imagine having it graded like that adds to the value too.

I've been collecting older games lately (Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1, etc). Although I don't really have the free money to shell out for mint copies of most games. But what always bothered me about SNES and N64 games, both back in the day and now, is that they were packaged in those fragile cardboard boxes. Nowadays it's a bigger problem just because not many of them survived, which makes it really difficult to buy a mint boxed copy of those games without paying a lot more.

Anywho, I seem to have lost of copy of Doom 64 (which was broken so I guess it's no big loss). It's on my list of games I really want to get. It would be pretty awesome to get one like yours since I doubt I'd actually play it on a N64. Not when there's D64EX to play with :)

It's really tough to gauge how much a sealed game is truly worth. It really depends on how much someone is willing to pay for it. All I know is that it is extremely rare to find one in this condition. If you look at Ebay, there are a few currently listed. One is re-sealed, and the other two have obvious physical damage.

It's funny that your mention Super Nintendo games, because I've got a (supposedly) mint copy of Doom coming my way which I also plan to get graded.

Old Post 11-02-12 11:29 #
zombi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimi

But do you know if there is actually a game inside, or the correct game? What if at the factory they accidently placed "My Little Pony Adventures With Barbie" in it instead?

Well, pretty cool anyway, I never seen the box before.

Old Post 11-02-12 13:15 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

I suppose that you'll never know for sure. :P

Old Post 11-02-12 13:50 #
DoomUK
Forum Staple

That's... beautiful.

Old Post 11-02-12 14:03 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
miko508
Mini-Member

Very cool, and I see that you sprung for the archival case. I, too, have been thrilled with the quality of VGA's final product. Thanks for sharing!

Old Post 11-02-12 16:48 #
miko508 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

I want that.... :-(

Old Post 11-02-12 20:07 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Kaiser said:
I want that.... :-(

Just keep your eyes peeled. They may pop up...

Old Post 11-03-12 01:04 #
Aldaraia

Damn.. what a gorgeous sight.

Old Post 11-03-12 18:34 #
Aldaraia is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I could never own this. I'd be far too tempted to open it up.

Old Post 11-03-12 21:24 #
Enjay is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Finally got this one in the mail today. Great condition. I'm very happy with it for the price I paid.

I remember playing this game before my parents bought our family our first computer.

Great memories.

...Will be shipping out to VGA soon for grading...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2..._snes_front.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...m_snes_back.jpg

Old Post 11-03-12 22:16 #
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

That's pretty awesome, great find!

Old Post 11-03-12 22:27 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Okuplok
Green Marine

i guess they fell off a back of a lorry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-Super-...-/170923424894?

Old Post 11-04-12 01:54 #
Okuplok is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Okuplok said:
i guess they fell off a back of a lorry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-Super-...-/170923424894?

Yes! I was going to say, now is your chance to get a sealed copy of SNES Doom. Some dude in Russia has a few packages of them. It definitely takes a while to get to you, but these won't be around for forever!

Old Post 11-04-12 01:31 #
BlazingPhoenix
I was KingofFlames

I've still got my Doom 64 cartridge but no case. That's awesome!

Old Post 11-04-12 04:53 #
BlazingPhoenix is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DOOMSLAYER
Mini-Member

The pictures are down on my end cant see them.

Old Post 11-04-12 22:50 #
DOOMSLAYER is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Damn this is a beautiful thread. Uber jealous, really.

Old Post 11-05-12 03:24 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Thanks.

Just sent off my SNES Doom to be graded. :)

Old Post 11-05-12 04:48 #
DOOMSLAYER
Mini-Member

My computer was being stupid. I finally pulled them up. Very cool my friend, very cool. Doom 64 is my favorite out of them all. Have you test played it? Also is your name homage to lucio fulci?

Old Post 11-05-12 23:54 #
DOOMSLAYER is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

DOOMSLAYER said:
My computer was being stupid. I finally pulled them up. Very cool my friend, very cool. Doom 64 is my favorite out of them all. Have you test played it? Also is your name homage to lucio fulci?

Thanks! Good eye on my name!

And this baby is never leaving that packaging. I've got a loose D64 to play if I want.

Old Post 11-07-12 00:45 #
DOOMSLAYER
Mini-Member

LoL. Im a big Lucio Fulci fan. But Doom 64 is such a classic. Have you played TC? With the extra levels? I was mad when I learned they were working on Doom 64 II and cancelled it.

Old Post 11-09-12 23:32 #
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

DOOMSLAYER said:
LoL. Im a big Lucio Fulci fan. But Doom 64 is such a classic. Have you played TC? With the extra levels? I was mad when I learned they were working on Doom 64 II and cancelled it.

The TC sucks. Doom 64 EX is far better.

Old Post 11-10-12 00:01 #
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DOOMSLAYER
Mini-Member

Whats the difference? Maybe I have the better one cause mine is spot on.

Old Post 11-10-12 00:20 #
Kaiser
Doom64 Guru

DOOMSLAYER said:
Whats the difference? Maybe I have the better one cause mine is spot on.

http://i.imgur.com/RmiSGl.jpg

Old Post 11-10-12 05:04 #
Kaiser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
zombi
Green Marine

Scored this baby today. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...aturn_front.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...saturn_back.jpg

Old Post 11-10-12 16:49 #
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

I see the US version also has the PC Final Doom shots on the back.

Idiots.

Old Post 11-10-12 17:20 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote