Ouchface
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Installing Master Levels on Windows 7

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:53. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ragnew

So I got the itch to play some Doom again, and have been installing all the games on the system. I've managed to get every other game installed, but Master Levels for Doom II is the only one being a severe pain in the ass.

I exit out to the cmd prompt and when I type in "install" while in the Master directory I get an error that tells me the deice file that the disk is using isn't compatible with my PC!

I even tried to install it on my old system with XP on it and have had the same issue. Anyone have any ideas as to how I'd go about getting these guys to install!

Been ages, I'm so out of the loop!

Thanks in advance!

Old Post 11-08-12 19:31 #
ragnew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Modern computers running modern versions of Windows don't really do DOS "properly" any more, if at all.

You probably want to use DOSBox:

http://www.dosbox.com/

Old Post 11-08-12 19:37 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ragnew

Fraggle, as always, tons of help man! I do appreciate it! :-)

Old Post 11-08-12 19:46 #
ragnew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mystery Man in 3D
Mini-Member

I created a complete Vanilla DOOM archive using DOSBox. All the games (including Master Levels) are all set up to run and be configured with little to no effort, even for Multiplayer!

If you want me to, I can send you the setup I have for Master Levels. Should save you even more trouble...

Old Post 11-08-12 20:31 #
Mystery Man in 3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ragnew

That'd be awesome Mystery Man! Thanks much!

Old Post 11-09-12 06:10 #
Badboy

rename master.1 in .zip and you have all the levels

Old Post 11-09-12 06:56 #
Badboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mystery Man in 3D
Mini-Member

ragnew said:
That'd be awesome Mystery Man! Thanks much!

I'll prepare and upload it later today.

Old Post 11-09-12 09:36 #
Mystery Man in 3D is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mystery Man in 3D
Mini-Member

http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/32766708/file.html

If you or anyone reading this would like this idiot-proof DOSBox setup for any of their Vanilla DOOM games, just ask me and I'll upload it. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Old Post 11-09-12 18:48 #
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

If that's the actual levels, I would suggest you remove that link before the wrath of moderators or admins strike down on you.

Old Post 11-10-12 19:05 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

It's just a directory setup, a renamed dosbox, and a conf file set up to run everything out of the box.

Old Post 11-10-12 19:06 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mystery Man in 3D
Mini-Member

What Dragonsbrethren said.

I'd never upload the content you have to pay for on here, unless it became freeware (fat chance :P).

Old Post 11-10-12 19:50 #
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

I remember being able to copy .wads directly from the CD and throw them into my Doom directory.

Old Post 11-11-12 07:51 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Badboy

GoatLord said:
I remember being able to copy .wads directly from the CD and throw them into my Doom directory.

there is a version where you must install it. its a problem without dos in win7. see above how i unzipp the install file.

Old Post 11-11-12 09:00 #
Badboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote