Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Do you still play Vanilla DOOM? If No, what's your favorite DOOM source port?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I like GZDOOM for the advanced features but I sometimes I like to use PRBOOM+ for its classic limited settings and the nice looking alt HUD, the one with the coloured bars.

Last edited by Avoozl on 11-14-12 at 08:45

Old Post 11-14-12 00:47 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SteveD

I think I stopped using Vanilla Doom when the first GL ports appeared. I don't even use Chocolate Doom to test vanilla compatibility, though I may start soon.

My fave port is Risen3D, which is my main playing and testing port. It seems to be the fastest one on my machine, and never gives me the sense of slight halting I perceive in GZDoom or JDoom. It also looks more "right" to me in brightness, contrast and gamma. I've never had to adjust it, the way I do with GZDoom, which seems alternately too dark or too washed out.

I use PRBoom+ to play demos.

I test all my levels on Risen3D, GZDoom, PRBoom+ and JDoom. I almost never play for pleasure on any port except Risen3D, with the exception of GZDoom, which I use to play ZDoom levels.

Old Post 11-17-12 07:23 #
SteveD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lemonzest
Mini-Member

Seems PrBoom+ is getting lots of love :)

Old Post 11-17-12 07:34 #
Lemonzest is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Monitor
Mini-Member

I don't use Vanilla Doom anymore. As of now, I have myself restricted to GZDoom, although I do use ZDoom when GZDoom lags too much (like on Torm667's "The Refinery").

Old Post 11-17-12 22:26 #
The Monitor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

When the stars align and wind blows in certain directions I will fire up chocolate doom for a bit but other wise it's a non stop Gzdoom party with Mouse look on and auto aim off because not being able to look up and down is dumb.

Old Post 11-18-12 00:26 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomGater

Captain Red said:
(...) because not being able to look up and down is dumb.

Nowadays it's called oldschool and it's not dumb --- it's the way it was meant to be.

Old Post 11-18-12 11:54 #
DoomGater is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

DoomGater said:
it's the way it was meant to be.
Why respond with the least intelligent phrase possible? Meant in what sense? One can only think of the voices of Romero and Carmack booming, "here be it, my children, now follow the Way of DOOM or burn!"

It was made that way due to historical reasons and technical restraints. I like vanilla too, because it's fun, minimalistic and stable, but not because of some imperative.

Old Post 11-18-12 12:03 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

Only heretics yearn to look up & down. ;-)

Old Post 11-18-12 14:49 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
princetontiger
Mini-Member

For you guys using prboom+, if a wad requires zdoom, do you skip it? or do you load zdoom?

Old Post 11-18-12 15:43 #
princetontiger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

princetontiger said:
if a wad requires zdoom, do you skip it? or do you load zdoom?
I'm a bit more extreme because I spend my Sundays at the vanilla temple, yet otherwise the dilemma is similar: I sometimes play port WADs by joining online servers, but leave single player to (limit-raised) vanilla. I guess God doesn't pay attention to the Internet!

Old Post 11-18-12 16:00 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fuzzyfireball

Yes, I mostly play vanilla, lots of good megawads to still play too.

Old Post 11-18-12 18:04 #
Fuzzyfireball is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lemonzest
Mini-Member

princetontiger said:
For you guys using prboom+, if a wad requires zdoom, do you skip it? or do you load zdoom?

I skip it

Old Post 11-18-12 18:05 #
Lemonzest is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mason1729
Registered just to make one post

I use PrBoom+ for anything thats designed for Vanilla/Boom

I also use Zdoom, but only if the wad is designed for it.

Old Post 11-22-12 09:05 #
mason1729 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

prboom+, all day every day

Old Post 11-22-12 09:10 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

myk said:
...think of the voices of ... Carmack booming...

Try as I might, that voice will never be anything other than a nerdy whine in my ears :P

Old Post 11-22-12 09:54 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

I think the voice of Carmack booming would be more likely to say "okay, you've got the game data and the specs, now write your own engine to play it, from scratch; you have two days".

Old Post 11-22-12 10:48 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DaniJ

SteveD said:
...sense of slight halting I perceive in GZDoom or JDoom.

I can't speak for GZDoom but in Doomsday this typically occurs when a resource is cached that hasn't been precached before starting the map/game. Once all resources have been cached there shouldn't be any stalling. We intend to improve the resource precaching for a future release.

Old Post 11-22-12 11:36 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hex11

Gez said:
I think the voice of Carmack booming would be more likely to say "okay, you've got the game data and the specs, now write your own engine to play it, from scratch; you have two days".

Should be 40 days and 40 nights, alone in the desert where there's no distractions. Just a cave with a laptop, a coke machine, and a nearby oasis with a pizza delivery joint.

Old Post 11-22-12 14:48 #
hex11 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Definitely ZDoom, because I'm a total UDMF-whore when I'm mapping. I probably spend as much time in the scripting window as I do in the main view of Doombuilder.

My only qualm is that dynamic lights show up as exclamation marks in ZDoom (sw-mode, obviously), whereas in GZDoom's sw-mode they are simply absent. I spend 90% of my time testing/playing in sw-mode, but I do like playing around with hw features, for those people that might play my maps with dynamic lights on.

Old Post 11-22-12 15:02 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
savagegrant

GZDoom all the way. I like the OpenGL effects, and all the ZDoom goodies like hi-res modes, free look, crosshair and Heretic support. I'm not a fan of the high resolution textures and polygon models of certain other ports (especially the dodgy 3D monsters).

Old Post 11-22-12 15:53 #
savagegrant is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Urban Space Cowboy

Another member of the PrBoom Plus fan club here, and fuck ZDoom.

Old Post 11-24-12 18:01 #
Urban Space Cowboy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomfan69

I've yet to find a decent Doom WAD.
There may 1000's of em, but they mostly suck,
yep I'm sure to be popular for saying that but it's true.

I stick to vanilla Doom because I only go for the best, but if anyone
has a decent Doom Mod they think would change my mind feel free to reply
Total conversions for Ultimate Doom are preference.

Old Post 11-25-12 15:32 #
doomfan69 is offline Profile || Blog || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote