Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Super shotgun reference

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DoomUK
Forum Staple

I don't recall ever reading anything about this, so I'll ask with a little trepidation: Does anyone know if there was a specific model of side-by-side shotgun, toy shotgun or double-barrelled rifle that was used as a reference for the SSG?

Or was it purely based on id's imagination and the generic image of a sawn-off shotgun (to be fair, most of them look pretty identical to the non-gun aficionado, unless you're comparing antique ones with hammers and more modern hammerless models)?

Old Post 12-14-12 11:37 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff

Most likely the one from Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

Old Post 12-14-12 17:09 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Springy

DoomUK said:
I don't recall ever reading anything about this, so I'll ask with a little trepidation: Does anyone know if there was a specific model of side-by-side shotgun, toy shotgun or double-barrelled rifle that was used as a reference for the SSG?

Or was it purely based on id's imagination and the generic image of a sawn-off shotgun (to be fair, most of them look pretty identical to the non-gun aficionado, unless you're comparing antique ones with hammers and more modern hammerless models)?

AFAIK the whole set of sprites for the arsenal were based on toys, for example the plasma rifle was based off part of a little toy gun that could be detached from it, the SG was based off a toy shotgun for kids and I can't remember the rest.

Old Post 12-14-12 17:43 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

The fists and chainsaw were real ;-)

Old Post 12-14-12 19:07 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
buttspit

Maes said:
The fists and chainsaw were real ;-)

Well, I don't know Maes... wouldn't you agree that the FISTS were based on toys? :P

Old Post 12-14-12 21:03 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

BaronOfStuff said:
Most likely the one from Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

You know, I was watchign EDII the other day, and the first person scenes... Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Doom 2 SSG was digitized right out of the movie for it's standard sprite. For the rest I dunno. Maybe they just got the same kinda gun of course.

Old Post 12-14-12 21:42 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

buttspit said:
wouldn't you agree that the FISTS were based on toys? :P

Too hairy ;-)

Old Post 12-14-12 22:16 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I remember John commenting on his forums a long while back that the rocket launcher was based off the shotgun sprite, and the BFG was a toy gun with some shit glued to it. I think both sides of the BFG are mirrored.

Old Post 12-15-12 00:37 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Raptomex

I remember reading somewhere the fists are real. I forget whose.

Old Post 12-15-12 07:01 #
Raptomex is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Raptomex said:
I remember reading somewhere the fists are real. I forget whose.

They're Kevin Cloud's.

Old Post 12-15-12 10:24 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

Maes said:
Too hairy ;-)

That's why they call it manly sock 'em boppers.

Old Post 12-15-12 18:04 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote