Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Does the Red Cross issue apply to us?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlueFireZ88

I'm sure everyone here knows about the situation with the Red Cross and how they went after the games industry for using their logo (even though the industry's been using it for well over 2 to 3 decades and that they only recently started reinforcing their trademark as of a few years ago).

The most obvious effect of this is Id changing the cross on medipacks to pills in the recent re-releases of the classic Doom games (notably BFG Edition).

But really, does that affect us, the Doom Community, at all? Does that stop us from using the cross symbol in our mods? I'm sure that there are those who wouldn't use it out of respect, but beyond that, is there anything stopping us?

Old Post 12-14-12 20:38 #
BlueFireZ88 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

For the most part we're not making the crosses, just using something that already had crosses in it. Also, I think we fly low enough under the radar that no one notices/cares anyway.

Old Post 12-14-12 20:47 #
DooMAD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

you can copyright such a basic symbol? they should have picked a more unique logo

Old Post 12-14-12 20:51 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scypek2

Ribbiks said:
you can copyright such a basic symbol? they should have picked a more unique logo

I heard that T-mobile tried to copyright magenta.

I want to copyright oxygen. They would have to pay for usage.

Old Post 12-14-12 21:18 #
Scypek2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Well, it would definitely be nice if new mods would use something else than the red cross if they use different sprites for the health packs. This is more an issue of degrading the image by overexposure in entertainment media, and that applies here too.

Old Post 12-14-12 21:24 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Ribbiks said:
It's not a copyright, or even a trademark. The Red Cross is a protected symbol under the Geneva Conventions. It's actually just one of four such symbols. Essentially every country that is a signatory to the conventions has passed a special law that protects these symbols. Under US law, it's 18 USC § 706. In the UK there's the Geneva Conventions Act.

Technically if you use it in a Doom mod you're probably violating the law and could be fined for it, but in practise what DoomAD says is right: nobody really pays any attention to Doom mods or is going to waste any time following up on it.

Old Post 12-14-12 21:27 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Unless you distribute a mod with modified graphics containing a red cross used to refer to medical supplies, you have no reason to be concerned.

And even if you do distribute mods with medikit sprites in them, they aren't going to do anything about it. Certainly, it's less of an issue than distributing copyrighted resources, like a MIDI track from Rise of the Triad and a bunch of textures from Hexen. (This describes something like half of all Doom II mods ever created.)

Old Post 12-14-12 21:42 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Ribbiks said:
you can copyright such a basic symbol?

+

Take that society.

Old Post 12-14-12 21:43 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

Does it only apply to red crosses on white background?

Old Post 12-14-12 23:06 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Jimi said:
Does it only apply to red crosses on white background?
No, any red cross that's symmetrical on all sides, even if stand-alone.

Last edited by Technician on 12-14-12 at 23:37

Old Post 12-14-12 23:31 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimi

What about red plus sign or red x? Does BFG edition change STCFN043?

Old Post 12-14-12 23:50 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Technician said:
No, any red cross that's symmetrical on all sides

Hah-ah! Thanks to aspect ratio correction making the top and bottom branches longer than the left and right branches, the red cross in Doom does not feature 90° axial symmetry! Loopholed! :p

Old Post 12-14-12 23:51 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Six

In the recent releases of Doom, why didn't they just change the red cross to any other colour? Like for example, green...

The pill symbol just looks silly.

Old Post 12-15-12 00:07 #
Six is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Six said:
In the recent releases of Doom, why didn't they just change the red cross to any other colour? Like for example, green...
I've thought of that, myself. Both Green Cross and Blue Cross are copyrighted symbols. They're not Geneva protected symbols, but id would open themselves to a copyright infringement claim.

I think changing the cross to a red H would have sufficed. I don't care for the pill symbol, either. It would be appropriate on the Berserker packs, though.

Old Post 12-15-12 00:18 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

That green cross logo is more complex than a straight green +. It has a wavy curvature and is combined with a green leaf and (in negative space) a white sphere.

Old Post 12-15-12 00:28 #
Sokoro

Technician said:
I've thought of that, myself. Both Green Cross and Blue Cross are copyrighted symbols. They're not Geneva protected symbols, but id would open themselves to a copyright infringement claim.

I think changing the cross to a red H would have sufficed. I don't care for the pill symbol, either. It would be appropriate on the Berserker packs, though.

Then they could just use pink or orange cross. These colors also closer to red than green and blue.

Old Post 12-15-12 00:47 #
Sokoro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Technician said:
No, any red cross that's symmetrical on all sides, even if stand-alone.

Damn, Georgia barely escaped their rage (plenty of red crosses, but kinda curvy design).

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/georgia-flag.gif

Greece OTOH...suspiciously symmetrical cross, but OTOH we care about copyrights about as much G.W. Bush for an Iraqi's life ;-)

http://www.flags.net/images/largeflags/GREC0001.GIF

Old Post 12-15-12 00:48 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Isn't that Maes like, the Baron's cross or something?

Old Post 12-15-12 00:49 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Platinum Shell said:
Isn't that Maes like, the Baron's cross or something?

Yeah....go figure. And ancient Greeks were nazis:

http://www.arkoleon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ancient-greek-swastika.jpg
http://www.richardcassaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Gold-Disk-Swastikas-Greece.jpg

Old Post 12-15-12 01:24 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Could always swap the red and white around and have a red medkit with a white cross on it, but then it'd look like the Swedish flag. :P

Old Post 12-15-12 01:53 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

Heh. Never even knew about that bit.

Or like how Hitler started using the Heil gesture - well as it's now called - after the American's were using it.

Old Post 12-15-12 01:54 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Ventris

The Romans had that salute. You'll see plenty statues of Caesar doing it.

Old Post 12-15-12 04:07 #
Captain Ventris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Avoozl said:
Could always swap the red and white around and have a red medkit with a white cross on it, but then it'd look like the Swedish flag. :P

http://www.mapleterrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/swedish-flag.thumbnail.jpg

I think you mean Danish: http://www.mapleterrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/danish-flag.thumbnail.jpg

Old Post 12-15-12 10:27 #
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ASD

Or maybe: http://www.mapleterrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/swiss-flag.thumbnail.jpg

Old Post 12-15-12 12:10 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Sweden-Switzerland mixup

Funny how this often occurs in languages where the names for both are too similar: e.g. Sweden vs Switzerland (Eng.), Suisse vs Suède (Fra.), Svizzera vs Svezia (Ita.), Schweiz vs Schweden (Ger.) etc. while e.g. in Greek it's Ελβετία (Helvetia) vs Σουηδία (Swedia). Much harder to mix up ;-)

Old Post 12-15-12 14:43 #
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

Crossposted from the ZDoom thread:
http://jaybot7.com/blog/game-develo...y-the-red-cross

Old Post 12-15-12 14:56 #
scalliano is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

The Red Cross symbol actually originates with the Swiss flag - it's the same with the colors reversed. They chose that symbol because they wanted the Red Cross to be a neutral organisation, like how Switzerland is a neutral country.

Old Post 12-15-12 16:12 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CorSair
Forum Regular

The sign of red cross or rod of Asclepius always brings sort of comfort for me, even in games.
But it feels awkward for me. Why remove a universal symbol that means items which can aid people from their fatal wounds or cure them? It doesn't make sense for me.

Old Post 12-15-12 17:17 #
CorSair is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ducon
Régulier du Forum

What about the Anarchist Black Cross and the Red Crescent?

Old Post 12-15-12 17:19 #
ducon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

CorSair said:
The sign of red cross or rod of Asclepius always brings sort of comfort for me, even in games.
But it feels awkward for me. Why remove a universal symbol that means items which can aid people from their fatal wounds or cure them? It doesn't make sense for me.

That's not what the Red Cross means. It's actually a sign of protection - that is put on vehicles or people to indicate that they should not be military targets - military chaplains are also allowed to use the symbol for example. Most medical kits in real life actually have a white or green cross, not a red one.

Old Post 12-15-12 18:17 #