Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Your greatest achievements
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DoomCollector
Mini-Member

What's your greatest Doom achievements?
Beat the game on Nightmare? Punched a cyberdemon to death?

Basically I'm searching for challenges to try out.

I'm doing a Doomathon and just beat the 100% UV (except E4M1, 100%/100%/100% really doesn't come easy on that one. I also think I missed some secrets and such on the boss levels and maybe some unofficial secrets on others). Next I'm going to play around on some easy difficulties, try pistol-starting some levels, do a nightmare speedrun and try to beat the PARs on as high difficulty as possible and also try to Tyson some levels.

Old Post 02-15-13 11:21 #
DoomCollector is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Beat Absolution and HR with the keyboard on UV. Those were also the last major Dooming sessions I did as a pure keyboarder, back in 2004.

Old Post 02-15-13 11:37 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff

They're generally very vague and usually date back to my more active times on Skulltag; being responsible for success on ludicrous Survival servers (when it really looked like a restart was inevitable) is usually what I'd manage, or something similar.

For more recent stuff, I suppose rushing my way through some of the tougher PSX maps on Nightmare! (thanks, Total Conversion!) will have to do. Or just punching my way through MAP01 of No Rest For The Living. Nothing world-beating or jaw-droppingly impressive, just silly little things I challenge myself with when I have time to spare. Or waste, depending on how many attempts it takes.

Edit:
And yes, I have punched a Cyberdemon to death... it's what 'Grosse' was made for.

Old Post 02-15-13 12:27 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomK07
Banned

My achievements so far:

- Many times I played through the levels with only 1% health on UV and from pistol start
- Killed two Cyberdemons with the super shotgun in an open area without cover
- Killed two Barons of hell with only fists without berserk
- Let one Baron kill another Baron with his claw
- Completed Alien Vendetta on UV from pistol start (three times)

Maes said:
Beat Absolution and HR with the keyboard on UV. Those were also the last major Dooming sessions I did as a pure keyboarder, back in 2004.

Did you mean that you played HR on UV with a keyboard without mouse? :o IMPRESSIVE!

Old Post 02-15-13 13:05 #
DoomK07 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
gemini09

whoops, off-topic here..

Last edited by gemini09 on 02-15-13 at 16:35

Old Post 02-15-13 13:53 #
gemini09 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

DoomK07 said:
Did you mean that you played HR on UV with a keyboard without mouse? :o IMPRESSIVE!

Yup. I was a pure Doom keyboarder until 2004-2005, even though I used mouse + WASD for other FPS. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that Doom could also be played like that.

Old Post 02-15-13 14:09 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

Is that an achievement that I've beaten quite a lot of Wads despite not using the mouse in Doom at all since I'm Doomin'?! Because I could never get used to it. I have to mention that these weren't "softcore" wads at all.

Old Post 02-15-13 14:51 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Touchdown

I'd say my greatest achievement difficulty-wise was beating all Deus Vult maps (except for a collective map05) and all DVII-1 maps (except for Hell's Vendetta which I didn't really like), everything on UV, 100%, pistol-start, no saving.

I'm probably the most proud of beating DV map02 (Torture Chamber) and DVII map21 (The Unholy Cathedral), because they are both long and failure costs a lot of time.

Old Post 02-15-13 14:56 #
Touchdown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
qoncept

Maes said:

Yup. I was a pure Doom keyboarder until 2004-2005, even though I used mouse + WASD for other FPS. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that Doom could also be played like that.

Same here, except I didn't switch until last year. I KNEW you could use a mouse, but I thought since I keep mouselook turned off it didn't make sense. All of a sudden I'm a lot better at Doom.

My achievements are usually centered around individual events. Surviving fights I don't think I will. I've killed 2 cyberdemons with the SSG, 4 barons with the fist. Those are obvious but what really gives me a boner is when I end up in a tough situation without much health and make it out. After making it out of a closet with 4 revenants and an SSG I had to stop and look at the bodies.

Last edited by qoncept on 02-15-13 at 19:03

Old Post 02-15-13 16:25 #
qoncept is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Springy

Probably beating PSX Doom on UV at the age of 7.
Scoring 5 on Ralphis' Magical Ice Forts and some castle map on pub in ZDaemon. Bearing in mind 5 was the server's maximum score.
I think those two are really it I have punched a cyberdemon down before but only with berserk.

Old Post 02-15-13 18:54 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimi

I managed to get the blue armor from Hectic without dying and exiting the level without using cheats. But that's more like being lucky at using the exit just when the soulsphere crusher stops.. It usually results in getting stuck in the blue armor alcove.

Old Post 02-15-13 20:03 #
Jimi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
dew
experts

DoomCollector said:
Punched a cyberdemon to death?

yeppp.

Old Post 02-15-13 20:45 #
dew is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Well, it appears my response is on-topic.

Old Post 02-15-13 20:53 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
DoomCollector
Mini-Member

Xaser said:
Well, it appears my response is on-topic.
http://www.doomworld.com/vbmisc/qvid.png

I hate being punched in the thigh so hard I explode.

Old Post 02-15-13 22:47 #
DoomCollector is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

DoomCollector said:
I hate being punched in the thigh so hard I explode.

Well, my greatest achievement is now that I was told of your weak-point. Eheheh.

Old Post 02-16-13 14:56 #
Cell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Relic

I completed episode 1 of Doom on HMP without using any weapons at all.

I don't have great achievements in Doom, but this is the best I can think of. Seeing all these epic achievements, I think I might attempt some of these...

Old Post 02-28-13 01:21 #
Relic is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Nevan

First time beating SF2011's Map07 UV-Max yesterday without saves, as last year it took me apart so bad. My sense of direction back then was so bad, haha.

Old Post 02-28-13 11:32 #
Nevan is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Best achievement so far is beating The Living End on Ultra Violence from a pistol start. Small, but it's what I got.

Old Post 02-28-13 14:10 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
C30N9

Published a good wad alone:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16718

Old Post 02-28-13 15:31 #
C30N9 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

Having beaten PL2's MAP11 with pistol start, given only the bare necessities.

Old Post 03-02-13 22:02 #
Tosi
Warming Up

I must really suck, the best I could do was beating Plutonia on UV. I still can't beat E4 or most of the megawads on anything higher than HMP.

Old Post 03-03-13 02:18 #
Tosi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Orangestar
Green Marine

http://i.imgur.com/p9nqoJa.png

Old Post 03-03-13 09:07 #
Orangestar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

Orangestar said:
*Down, but not out!*

Know better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotWVz0bSrY&
"Corpse wins the day!" :D

Old Post 03-03-13 12:23 #
Orangestar
Green Marine

Since I'm a noob, the only thing I was thinking was "Oh, so THAT'S how an Archvile jump works!"

Old Post 03-03-13 17:53 #
Orangestar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

Finished a map that was well over a year in the making.

Old Post 03-03-13 18:53 #
Jodwin is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

Jodwin said:
Finished a map that was well over a year in the making.

Well, actually it deserves a mordeth (my longest map progression measures nearly 7 months).

Old Post 03-03-13 21:27 #
DoomCollector
Mini-Member

Cell said:

Know better.

HA! Fuck, that's something I wanna do.

Gotta add finishing with 1% and 0% to the list.
I also saw someone killing an imp with an explosive barrel by punching the barrel and then quickly moving away as it burst on E2M2. Probably really easy and all but it looked ballsy.

I hear E4M2 was done in only 6 hours by the way. I think that's spectacular. I think it's absolutely perfect except for telefragging the Cyberdemon. That's a bit cheap IMO.

By the way I know Nightmare is really hard... and Nightmare PAR should be a real party. What about Nightmare 100%? Has anyone done it recently?

Old Post 03-09-13 17:02 #
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Cell said:

Know better.

I can top that. What's better than finishing the level with 0% health? Finishing with 0% health after getting revenge on the monster that killed you:

Old Post 03-09-13 17:06 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Cell

Actually, I've once heard of a guy, who was blasted up in the air by an Archvile, thus flying into a teleport that led to the Archvile's place. Kind of revenge, fucker.

Old Post 03-09-13 18:02 #
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Beating E1M1 on Nightmare under 30 seconds on the XBLA version a couple of years ago.

Old Post 03-09-13 18:12 #
Glaice is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote