Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom screenshot converted to hi-res
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:28. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I haven't seen anyone else post this yet. Pretty impressive work.

Old Post 02-18-13 11:00 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

9600x7211

It's pretty fantastic. I don't really like what they did with Doomguy's face*, as is the way with all of these "Doom HD" endeavors of various descriptions. But it's hard to nitpick anything else about it.

*<shaviro> oh hey it's Jay Leno!

Old Post 02-18-13 11:13 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

The rocket launcher's a poor choice for that range

Old Post 02-18-13 12:16 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Very impressive. Hate to think what the levels par time would be if every frame took that long to render.

Old Post 02-18-13 13:31 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Captain Red said:

Yep, it's part of the implied story. You'll notice all the ammo counters are at 0, all he got left is one rocket. And there are two explosive barrels. He's gonna shoot, and kill the demon, but also his own dumb self, right in the exit room.

Old Post 02-18-13 13:43 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Captain Red said:
I think it adds the scariness of picture: We've all had the feeling of turning a corner and realizing that the weapon we have drawn is not appropriate for the fight we've about the engage. In the screenshot above, the weapon in-hand is actually a bigger threat than the drooling Demon in front of the player!

The only only thing that could add to the tension would be some Arch-flames licking at the player's boots. The correct choice in that situation is clear: enter the room while switching to SSG/Chnsw/ChG and tuck yourself into the closest, rightmost corner to evade the Arch-vile's flames. But no matter what, you're probably going to take some damage in that kind of engagement.

I got myself all hyped up now... *Sigh* Time to play a E1 again... and I have a paper due tomorrow. >_<

Old Post 02-18-13 13:45 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

Just as fascinating as the look of the final product, is the way the author outlined the process. An excellent blend of inspiration and execution.

Old Post 02-18-13 14:00 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

It's simply beautiful.

Now I'm trying to imagine the whole game like this.

Old Post 02-18-13 14:43 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

I love how the demon looks in this. Heck, even the Val Kilmer-esque doomguy looks pretty good.

Also, the STAR* textures seem just right here. I know we've always debated on what those actually are, but painted precast concrete panels?

http://www.highconcrete.com/products/Components/structural/images/Wall1_vlh.jpg

Why didn't I see that before?

Old Post 02-18-13 16:46 #
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

Gez said:

Yep, it's part of the implied story. You'll notice all the ammo counters are at 0, all he got left is one rocket. And there are two explosive barrels. He's gonna shoot, and kill the demon, but also his own dumb self, right in the exit room.

No, he's gonna backpedal at 40mph while squeezing the trigger.

Clonehunter said:
It's simply beautiful.

Now I'm trying to imagine the whole game like this.

Where's my remake.

Old Post 02-18-13 16:47 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vaporizer
Forum Regular

Well, he can just punch the pinky out! It's not like he's in danger with 100% health.

Old Post 02-18-13 16:52 #
Vaporizer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Csonicgo said:
I love how the demon looks in this. Heck, even the Val Kilmer-esque doomguy looks pretty good.

Also, the STAR* textures seem just right here. I know we've always debated on what those actually are, but painted precast concrete panels?

http://www.highconcrete.com/product...s/Wall1_vlh.jpg

Why didn't I see that before?

Whoa... I've seen some valiant attempts at bringing Doom textures into the world of high definition gaming (most of the time kicking and screaming, uglier than a baby with a Botox addiction), but that - that - works. The clunky, sharp edges translate very well into hi-def.

Old Post 02-18-13 16:54 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I like it. He didn't quite get the demon's legs right; it's obviously has scutes like a birds.

Old Post 02-18-13 17:49 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

This is what the various "high res Doom" projects wished they were.

Old Post 02-18-13 18:01 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
gggmork
If you can make any sense of this post, congratulations

That's cool. Kind of similar to beavis/butthead going hi-res/3d:
http://www.huhmagazine.co.uk/images...d/beavis_02.jpg

Old Post 02-18-13 19:14 #
gggmork is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

Am I the only one who thinks it looks a bit off? Because it seems to have too much detail for detail's sake, and the end product looks kinda overdone.

Old Post 02-18-13 19:24 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Shadow Hog said:
Am I the only one who thinks it looks a bit off? Because it seems to have too much detail for detail's sake, and the end product looks kinda overdone.
You aren't. I agree. It's neat, but the proportions and general outline of the Pinky are reproduced too exactly. It ends up looking silly (okay, sillier) than the sprite it's based off of.

Old Post 02-18-13 19:52 #
BloodyAcid

Very nice job! It's very cool.

Old Post 02-18-13 20:51 #
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I find one of the issues with many digital artists is they can't get the lighting correct. Everything here looks almost like it's self illuminating.

Old Post 02-18-13 21:31 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

New background

Old Post 02-18-13 21:45 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

jay leno doomguy none too smart, who would use a RL in that situation?

Old Post 02-18-13 21:51 #
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Orangestar
Green Marine

Technician said:
I find one of the issues with many digital artists is they can't get the lighting correct. Everything here looks almost like it's self illuminating.

It really does look like it was a (G)ZDoom screenie. The radioactive barrels and the light posts have their own little dynamic lights.

Old Post 02-18-13 21:54 #
Orangestar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

Orangestar said:
It really does look like it was a (G)ZDoom screenie. The radioactive barrels and the light posts have their own little dynamic lights.
Maybe I should give the author a little more credit.

Old Post 02-18-13 22:07 #
Phobus
Forum Staple

Heh, I looked at all of that fidelity and thought "The demon's legs are bending the wrong way there and it's back arm just looks fat".

Old Post 02-18-13 22:19 #
Phobus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Hellbent
Forum Bellend

It would have been cool if there had been some eye detail.

Old Post 02-18-13 22:53 #
Hellbent is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Eris Falling said:
New background

I know right?

Old Post 02-19-13 01:33 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Also, the face kinda looks more like humanized Shrek from Shrek 2, just with different hair.

Old Post 02-19-13 03:20 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

The art style is good for a drawing/static image, but for a 3d world, I'm not very sure.

Old Post 02-19-13 08:49 #
Vermil is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

I want this image on a trapper keeper. It would be better than my unicorn one by a factor of xBFG9,000 awesomeness.

Old Post 02-19-13 16:20 #
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vulture

id software acknowledged this pic on their facebook: http://www.facebook.com/idsoftware

Old Post 02-19-13 19:20 #
Vulture is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote