Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Biggest Blunder

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
obake

What is the worst blunder you have caused while playing Doom? It can be anything. Maybe your doing a speedrun of a particularly hard map, almost making it to the exit, just to fall into a damaging pit and die.

My personal biggest blunder was shooting rockets while standing in front of a teleporter. Big mistake. A demon teleported right in front of me and intercepted a rocket, roasting both of our faces.

Old Post 02-19-13 17:13 #
obake is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Coopersville
Supreme Gentleman

Getting hopelessly lost on maps I've completed dozens of times before.

Old Post 02-19-13 19:13 #
Coopersville is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Scypek2

Doing uv pacifist and not deciding to turn in into uv speed halfway through when after perfect play through most of the level I got stuck in a dead end with pinky eating my face. And berserk.

Old Post 02-19-13 19:41 #
Scypek2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
scifista42
Forum Staple

Doom is such a great game because it doesn't have long loading times. If you make a mistake (blunder) in a modern game, you're punished - you're forced to restart level / load game, which takes such a long time so it's really punishment. In Doom, when you make a blunder, even the worst, you just laugh. And press a button and you immediately have the opportunity to try better. And since we learn by our mistakes, we're getting better and better. And laugh at the same time. This is why I like Doom.

My biggest blunder was that I didn't understand ^^ for a long time. Saving the game on every step and being constantly frustrated. Get hit by one imp fireball? Restart. WHY!?!, when I can just run for fun and have fun? Not being reluctant and just run against those sergeants and shoot-'em-all! Died? No matter. The shooting was such a fun that I don't regret. And now I will shoot 'em again and experience the fun again! Excellent! Or I shooted rocket against a wall? lol. Laughed my ass, then I try again and better. Everything allright. No real punishment. Restarting a game is no punishment if the game is fun, I say. Blunders aren't bad. Doom isn't about acquiring scores and making mistakes. Doom is about fun. And I like Doom.

A little philosophy which maybe shouldn't have been here but maybe should... :D

Old Post 02-19-13 19:46 #
scifista42 is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
qoncept

3 of us have been trying to beat Doom 2 on survival without anyone dying. Each of the last 3 times I've fallen in lava I couldn't get out of in The Pit, each in a different place.

Old Post 02-19-13 20:02 #
qoncept is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
BaronOfStuff

qoncept said:
3 of us have been trying to beat Doom 2 on survival without anyone dying. Each of the last 3 times I've fallen in lava I couldn't get out of in The Pit, each in a different place.

I tried something like that on the PSX version around ten or so years ago. It's borderline fucking impossible though, because over the course of at least 54 maps, something's going to go wrong. The furthest we ever got was Twilight Descends. I wanted to scream when my ally went for this switch to lower that Yellow Skullkey, and the barrier so we could move on:
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/1852/descends01.th.png

The stupid bastard wasn't running, fell into the green shit... and melted. This is double-bullshit when you notice that there is an Invulnerability Sphere and two Medikits right next to that place:
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1663/descends02.th.png

I wanted to fucking kill him in his chair.

EDIT:
My own blunders are usually unintended suicides, caused by going on a Rocket Rampage when I start losing my composure; I get really fucked-off by Zombiemen when they start scoring frequent hits from far away... and for some reason this happens to me a lot. Out comes the RL, and I try to kill everything with high explosives.

And then some cunt of a Spectre trolls me.

Last edited by BaronOfStuff on 02-19-13 at 20:37

Old Post 02-19-13 20:22 #
BaronOfStuff is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

Forgetting to save in a rather large, difficult or tedious map, dying, and then realizing with dread that the last 20 minutes or so that I'd spent have to be repeated.

Old Post 02-19-13 20:45 #
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Vile
The man made of sticks

Hitting Q by accident while recording demos in vanilla doom. Granted, when the key setup is WASD for movement, then one loses the right to really complain when it happens. :P Even with that setup, it was extremely rare, but when it did, it was usually late into lengthy runs.

Old Post 02-20-13 01:07 #
Vile is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
darkreaver

Tried playing Legacy of Suffering

Old Post 02-20-13 01:45 #
darkreaver is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
TB171

Forgetting to save while 20-30 minutes into a huge difficult map... still happens to me ALL THE TIME.

Old Post 02-20-13 02:11 #
TB171 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

A Revenant jump scare that's executed well. Causes me to lock up, and usually costs me 50-75% of my health. I can't help it, those bony shits are unnerving, even to this day!

BaronOfStuff said:
I wanted to fucking kill him in his chair.

Woah man.

Last edited by Platinum Shell on 02-20-13 at 04:14

Old Post 02-20-13 04:08 #
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Archy
Forum Regular

Vile said:
Hitting Q by accident while recording demos in vanilla doom. Granted, when the key setup is WASD for movement, then one loses the right to really complain when it happens. :P Even with that setup, it was extremely rare, but when it did, it was usually late into lengthy runs.

Archy said:
...whoever decided to make that key uncustomizable is a dick.

Anyways, pressing one of the function keys while trying to change weapons while recording in Vanilla Doom. The game pauses but the recording keeps going as if I never paused, thus causing a desync. Doom's so close to being a perfect games but it's things like this that just scream laziness. There's just no excuse.

Old Post 02-20-13 05:49 #
Archy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
purist

I have an infuriating habit of getting save and load F2/F3 keys mixed up so that sometimes after a tough or tedius stretch that I don't want to risk having to play again instead of saving I load my previous save . Or worse, having died instead of re-loading my latest save I save from the start of the map.

Old Post 02-20-13 06:39 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote