Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retog

Doom livestreams

Relic said:

God dammit, you had to start while I'm at school now didn't you! :/ Well have fun!

Aw sorry man haha :)

Let me know what time zone your in so I can work out the best time to stream.

Here's a video of my most recent spontaneous stream: http://www.twitch.tv/krispavera/b/371747082

I actually used to do this fairly often, and I gained a small following of dedicated viewers.. but I got kinda bored of the whole thing and went on hiatus. Though lately I've been kinda getting back into it. So like, come around next time, eh?

oh, and Kama Sutra begins around five minutes in. Also I apologize for a small jab at valkiriforce's mapping style. I really didn't mean anything nasty by it, and I think vf is a perfectly good mapper!

Great I followed you, follow back :) Hopefully we can get some good streams going.

Relic said:

I live in Australia at GMT +10:00 hours, it's currently 14:21 over here... I'm sure we can work something out :)

Well there is a twelve hour difference between us, since I live in England.
I don't think there will be a time when we can both be on the stream.

Pavera said:

Here's a video of my most recent spontaneous stream: http://www.twitch.tv/krispavera/b/371747082

I actually used to do this fairly often, and I gained a small following of dedicated viewers.. but I got kinda bored of the whole thing and went on hiatus. Though lately I've been kinda getting back into it. So like, come around next time, eh?

oh, and Kama Sutra begins around five minutes in. Also I apologize for a small jab at valkiriforce's mapping style. I really didn't mean anything nasty by it, and I think vf is a perfectly good mapper!

About damned time, too! :thumbsup:

Retog: Now following you. ^_^

Jimmy91 said:

Streaming through the rest of UAC Enterprises (from MAP10 onward) now.

http://www.twitch.tv/jimmybtsx

There are quite a few things to say about this playthrough.

First off, thanks so much! The criticism definitely helps. I just hope your experience overall when you're done with it won't have been too bad.

The insta-kill ledge in Map 13 is a mistake on my part. For extra buildings and decorations, I had to remove the instant-death tag of the floor. I must have missed removing the tag from that particular ledge.

My favorite line of the entire livestream: "Rainbow Nazi City"

It's too bad you didn't get to see the rest of Map 13, because there were some very interesting things to talk about that you missed.

Map 16 (The Hedge Maze) is an homage to my favorite game as a kid, "Zombies ate My Neighbors". Hence the maze setting with breakable walls, abundance of Chainsaw Marines (Chainsaw Maniacs in ZaMN), and of course, the trampolines. Your reaction to those was hilarious!

At the exit of map 16, you said I was ripping off something I've never heard of (Tetzuck, Tessuck? I'm not quite sure.) I was actually paying another (slight) homage to ZaMN, in a sense, by having the player plowing through walls. I thought it was a cool idea, though I admit it can be confusing at first.

The last point on Map 16 I should talk about is the fact that the breakable hedges did start out as destroyable from both sides. However, I changed this when I realized the scripts to take them down would activate for both sides, essentially causing the hedges to fall underground and create glitchy slime-trail effects on the walls.

It was a good playthrough overall, and I thank you for your patience (the swearing does get overboard, though)

The only suggestion I would give is to possibly print off a list of the map names to keep near as you play, to make referencing maps a little easier.

I will also give you a few notes as to what's ahead: Maps 18, 20, and 21 are fairly difficult, while maps 19 and 22 are both relatively easy, breather stages.

Map 23, "Attic of Anxieties", is the map I anticipate seeing your reactions to the most, though I have a feeling you'll loathe this stage! It is very big, and starts out in a very non-linear room (A hint to make progressing through this beginning part easier and less confusing: All you need is the red key, which is located in the bottom left portion of the huge room you start in. The red door is located at the top, middle of the room.) The yellow door, which you will need to use later, is located at the bottom, middle.

I can't wait!

Thanks again, Obake

Is there a chance of getting a Doom Builder livestream? I love these, and catch them whenever I can. They're good as videos, too.

Most of the DB videos are tutorials, and too short, which isn't as fun.

I'm really enjoying your UAC Enterprises videos, Jimmy. I especially like how you comment on map design, texture use, gameplay, etc. It's good food for thought.

I'm happy you're liking the videos. :) I'm mostly happy with how this one turned out, quality-wise, though it would've been nice to have broadcast it earlier, so I could've had more of an audience.

However, as I pointed out during the stream, I'm afraid the maps have not improved in quality throughout the set. That last playthrough was especially draining and frustrating. MAP23 is virtually unplayable (it's just bad in the bad sense... not "so-bad-it's-good" bad), and I stopped at MAP25 because god knows how I'm going to beat that one.

I do apologize for all the swearing, Obake, but at times, it's the only way I can cope. :x Just... these maps.

Jimmy91 said:

Final part of UAC Enterprises by Obake. MAPs 25-30. (Might IDCLEV to the secret maps to see what they have in store.)

http://www.twitch.tv/jimmybtsx

Definitely go to the secret levels! I want to see what you think about them!

Before I watch Part 4 of the livestream, I just want to say thank you for your cooperation.

Remember, this wad is supposed to be somewhat satirical (at least story-wise). That's why you have things like Nazi's (who have been hired by UAC-Hell as guards), dogs (who are actually marines whose brains have been transplanted into dog bodies as experiments), and real-life type of places (theaters, stores, skyscrapers, etc.)

Despite that, I've still attempted to design the maps as playable, interesting, fun, and well-designed. I know a lot of my newbish mistakes stick out like a sore thumb (I myself notice them in abundance as I look back on each level). However, I hope my effort has still made for a good experience.

By the way, that barrel that leads to the secret in level 25 is not supposed to float down like that (it's on top of an invisible bridge). It's supposed to be hidden in that secret alcove above the player start, but for some reason, I guess it just floated down. Oh, well.

Again, with appreciation, Obake

I just finished watching the part 4 of the livestream.

First off, let me say thanks, Jimmy91, for the playthrough. Seeing my levels in action on the internet is a huge joy.

However, I disagree strongly with some of your final thoughts.

Yes, the map-set has a lot of flaws. It's a first megawad attempt, afterall.

It's filled with weirdness, yes, but that's because I wanted to go all-out ambitious and really make something different from everything else out there.

That's why there are stages like Map 13, The City Scape (which, I will stress once more that you missed so much out on). Levels 31 and 32 (interesting that you didn't like level 32, when it's one of the few stages that doesn't have mean-spirited traps to speak of, such as lions-switch turrets, random crushers, etc.)

I personally think the Romero Head boss at the end is pretty good. You said it was the worst boss you had ever seen, and that it would be a nightmare for speedrunners (level 30 in itself, yes, but the last boss? I really don't think so.)

Whenever you shoot at Romero, he teleports to the triangular cubby to your left. To hit him with your rockets (which is the real intended method), fire directly in the middle of the cubby he is at, and then quickly shoot a rocket into the cubby just to your right. The second shot will teleport him back into the direct line of the first rocket you fired, which can either make him take splash damage, or if you have the timing right, a direct hit to his face.

All in all, I experimented to see how quickly I could beat the Romero boss after watching your livestream (starting out at the room just before the boss, and with just using the rocket launcher), and came up with a grand completion time of 27 seconds, having taken him down with a total of 4 rocket shots and no deaths on my part (I did get hit by a fireball or two, but that was the extent of the damage I took)

I'm not saying you did bad or anything, but I think you felt stressed for time, and therefore didn't try as hard to figure out how you are supposed to beat him (the method you used with the Big Flippin' Gun works too, but it still takes longer to beat.)

You don't seem to like the way I used colored lighting, whether because it's too bright or too dark (I agree, a lot of the lighting I used is ludicrous, especially in Unknown Realms.) But I would also stress that the official Playstation port of Doom is filled with similar lighting, including extremely dark, blue-shaded rooms like the ones in levels 27 and level 29 of UAC Enterprises.

I'm glad you played through my project, and I'm certainly not here to criticize your playthrough. Everyone has their own opinions, and I respect that completely. However, I think a few of the problems you had may arise from a difference in our play-styles. I personally grew up with the Playstation version of Doom, which is slower, darker, and more atmospheric.

You seem to have a more classic or speed running style. I built most of my levels with a more Playstation Doom-style in mind. In a sense, a lot of the levels I built are meant to be taken on at a more careful, deliberate pace.

Another problem, which is not anyones fault, really, is that you had to play the wad with Doom II's original PC music. Once I learn how to use a Decorate and sound editor, I will add sounds and music more appropriate to the intended atmospheres (which is what I do at home, anyway. I turn off the game music and play different music via YouTube Repeat) My goal is to create levels with the atmospheres of the PlayStation Port.

I know that UAC Enterprises has a satirical storyline. The gameplay, for the most part, however, is intended to be dark and creepy.

I've learned from your playthrough that my overuse of stealth monsters and invisible monsters is definitely a hindrance to the wad's enjoyment.

Thanks again for your cooperation playing through this wad. Despite some disappointments (skipping map 13, not seeing the Cyberdemon room in map 14, not to mention missing a really cool secret in level 14, skipping the end of map 23 (you were only a few rooms away from the exit!), missing the secret exits, not taking a look at the theater in map 24, and not finishing either of the secret levels (which both have interesting parts you missed, including the finishing line of Grocery Shocking: "Thank you for shopping Hell-Mart!"), I'm overall really grateful that you've taken the time to play through UAC-Enterprises. Perhaps future map releases of mine will be more favorable to play.

May God bless you in all of your endeavors, and happy dooming!

Sincerely, Obake :)

Man, I keep missing all these interesting-sounding streams. Oh well, keep posting links. Hopefully I'll catch one soon!