Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
levir

ridiculed for doom

The Jr-high putdown of anything they are not doing themselves.
The old dis-you-first, to put you on the defensive before you can see what they are doing.
It isn't Doom, it is everything and anything they could find.

A couple local TV channels ("ME TV", ???) are running "Dobie Gillis", "Burns and Allen", "Jack Benny Hour", "Dragnet", etc...
"Burns and Allen" are pretty good.
"Dobie Gillis" was "hip" through the Zelda episodes, but the last season it was Bob Denver doing goofy stuff (warmup to "Gilligan's Island").

scalliano said:

Cheese-slapping? What's that?

Nothing more than throwing pieces of processed cheese into people's faces. Really stupid.

My friend recently played doom with me after buying it and he remarked that it has better physics than Battlefield 3.

Never been ridiculed for Doom. When folks find out they tend to express benign befuddlement. Might hear that x, y, or z are better than Doom but I never start any confrontation based on that. It's been pretty easy to get people started with Doom and it's so small in size that people let me install it on their machines willy-nilly and they have fun blasting around for an hour. Gotta watch out for motion sickness among any converts I make, however. It's happened twice now.

TheCupboard said:

Never been ridiculed for Doom. When folks find out they tend to express benign befuddlement. Might hear that x, y, or z are better than Doom but I never start any confrontation based on that. It's been pretty easy to get people started with Doom and it's so small in size that people let me install it on their machines willy-nilly and they have fun blasting around for an hour. Gotta watch out for motion sickness among any converts I make, however. It's happened twice now.

Could be the rather intense view bobbing is to blame for that motion sickness. Most 'modern' era gamers aren't used to that kind of speed and movement.

darkreaver said:

Computer games very rarely comes up when I talk to people (at least new people who dont already know I`m into Doom), but when it does, and I say I`m into Doom, almost everybody goes like: "Doom! Awesome!".

Same here, except maybe not the older members of the family.

I have heard of the motion-sickness problem too.

Most importantly, turn off "AutoRun". MO, It is a cheat anyway.

AutoRun does not match a persons internal concept of walking or running, and thus feels like falling or loss of control.
They unconsciously tense for an expected impact, along with other side-effects.

Otherwise turn off bobbing. Then it looks like fast gliding.
Still not good, but not as bad.

This only goes away once they are a player that feels that they have good control over what they are seeing on the screen. Then they relax enough.

Autorun is not a cheat. It is no different than holding down Shift

(or setting a config option in vanilla doom)

Side note, I think the cure to motion sickness is Descent. Once you've played that for a while, every other game is nothing.

I've never received flak from peers for still enjoying Doom myself.

MG_Man said:

Autorun is not a cheat. It is no different than holding down Shift

(or setting a config option in vanilla doom

Vanilla Doom doesn't have an autorun option.

It does, sorta. If you bind it to Joystick button 29 or 31 in the CFG then it will always be on.

Before someone says "That proves it's a cheat!" remember that Quake has no option to have mouselook permanently enabled unless you add +mlook to the cfg yourself. Unless you'd consider mouselook a cheat too...

MG_Man said:

It does, sorta. If you bind it to Joystick button 29 or 31 in the CFG then it will always be on.

Before someone says "That proves it's a cheat!" remember that Quake doesn't have mouselook permanently enabled unless you add +mlook to the cfg yourself. Mouselook isn't a cheat, methinks.

Hey, nice trick! I gotta try it out.

MG_Man said:

Before someone says "That proves it's a cheat!" remember that Quake has no option to have mouselook permanently enabled unless you add +mlook to the cfg yourself. Unless you'd consider mouselook a cheat too...

In Quake or Doom? In Doom mouselook is definitely a cheat.

Fernito said:

Hey, nice trick! I gotta try it out.

Or, for a more flexible option, you can bind 'RUN' to keyboard 58, and so you'll autorun while Caps Lock is on, but you can switch back to walking by turning Caps Lock off.

durian said:

Or, for a more flexible option, you can bind 'RUN' to keyboard 58, and so you'll autorun while Caps Lock is on, but you can switch back to walking by turning Caps Lock off.

Is that so? :O I definitely have to try that out!

qoncept said:

In Quake or Doom? In Doom mouselook is definitely a cheat.

In Quake. But it's still the same concept; you have to deliberately edit the CFG file to get it, just like autorunning in vanilla Doom. Therefore I don't think it's a cheat to do so.

MG_Man said:

In Quake. But it's still the same concept; you have to deliberately edit the CFG file to get it, just like autorunning in vanilla Doom. Therefore I don't think it's a cheat to do so.

Kind of ironic that these "noncheats" are more work than actual cheats, but yeah, I agree. I think. I mean, I think the autorun thing is kind of a workaround, not something id intended. But you could do it with a piece of tape. And more importantly, I use autorun. :)

DoomUK said:

People are more baffled than anything when I tell them I still play Doom. The confabulation boils down thus:-

"...But it's old."

"So what?"

yeah, what now.

but the graphics suck!

that´s the most frequent argument.

no one said it looks like crysis 3. however, i use to play it with gzdoom or doomsday in full hd, and i think the graphics are decent. am i supposed to play or just marvel at graphics one needs triple titans to get a meaningful frame rate?

@ Memfis: interestingly, i had no problems seeing details back when i played in 320x200 resolution. maybe i had better imagination. but then, i had a 14", then 15" CRT. the game was optimized to look good on the screens used at that time. now, 320x200 stretched over my 24" widescreen (a Benq XL2411T with that lightboost hack, or my 27" korean IPS) looks like ass. so high resolution is my only concession to modern graphics.

you and the same old game!

that´s right. the same old game that keeps entertaining me for almost 20 years now. as opposed to many modern games i played once, perhaps twice and never felt like slogging through them again. let´s see which modern shooter will have a still an active, map making, demo recording community in 20 years, shall we?

but it´s not realistic

sure, because realism makes better games :p

i wrote a couple times that doom´s speed is what sets it apart from more recent games, as it´s stated very nicely in coelacanth´s essay on doom´s gameplay. i like this one man army gameplay. i like to warm up by ripping and tearing through ep.2 maps, as most of them have a berserk pack. combine that with accurate input (console ports have often awful controls), and movement in doom is simply beautiful.

now for the reactions of others... i was on a LAN with the friend who sawed the demons with me since the game came out, we fired up doom for a change... a few guys looked at us in disbelief, but not because seeing such an old game was strange, but because they didn´t seem used with such fast movement. one said: wow, that´s doom. that sounded rather admiring. and no one complained about graphics or whatever.

Pirx said:
however, i use to play it with gzdoom or doomsday in full hd, and i think the graphics are decent.

We obviously all agree with your point that good graphics aren't important. But no high resolution makes Doom's graphics even remotely good by today's standards.

It reminds me of a friend telling me about the high res pack for Duke3d. He said it makes it look like a game that came out today. But it doesn't. It takes a game from 1996 and makes it look like a game from 2000.

I often feel compelled to ridicule anyone in my hometown of Dallas who doesn't know who id software is or that they're local.

Pirx said:

@ Memfis: interestingly, i had no problems seeing details back when i played in 320x200 resolution. maybe i had better imagination. but then, i had a 14", then 15" CRT. the game was optimized to look good on the screens used at that time. now, 320x200 stretched over my 24" widescreen (a Benq XL2411T with that lightboost hack, or my 27" korean IPS) looks like ass. so high resolution is my only concession to modern graphics.

There's nothing to stop you from playing Chocolate Doom configured to display in a window that's about the same siza as a 14-inch monitor. It also has "fullscreen" modes that actually just center the display, so you end up with some black bars on the sides of a widescreen LCD (to preserve the aspect ratio DOOM was designed for). You have to try the different modes to see which one looks best on your hardware. And yeah, that means you're not using 100% of the display. So what? There's no such obligation, and the gaming police won't come and arrest you. ;-)