Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

The way I see it, the trouble with 40's action was that he contacted Hall under the guise of Tango TV without anyone from the TTV staff endorsing it or even knowing about it, then posted the results publicly in a "behind the organizers' backs," sort of way. I think that if a PM had been sent to Fonz somewhere along the way, things would be fine. I could see Fonz possibly granting interviewer permission as well had one simply asked, though at this point I'm putting words in his mouth. :P

By analogy, as thrilling as it would be to have someone (who's not me or Lutz or NaturalTvventy) contact John Romero and convince him to make a map for No End in Sight then post about it, I'd probably be a bit miffed that neither myself nor NT was ever involved in the process.

I do wish to see this happen, still, since this is really a blue moon event in the Doom community.

Greetings all! We've finally found our 4th speaker in Capellan for TTV-pb11's discussion on comments, criticism and feedback this coming Saturday (delayed from last week thanks to the lack of said 4th speaker), but we'd be mightly pleased if we could get a 5th person to step up and make it that extra bit engaging -- particuarly if you haven't featured on the program before.

Also a reminder that Program B is intended to be a podcast where you can send in your opinions and questions to be read out on the program even if you yourself don't feature. Just spin me a PM, and I'll put on my best Terry Wogan impression!

Good tidings I bring from Doomradio.org! TangoTV's Program B episode 11 is now in a state of existence and tearing up the airwaves to the tune of screaming fanatics! Join me and co-commentators Tarnsman and MTrop as we chat about receiving feedback with Capellan of Doomworld. What do you value most in feedback? Does it matter who it comes from? This is one of the most comprehensive episodes to date, and we wring the topic for all it's worth.

>> Download << [60 mb]

We are currently in talks with certain folks to see whether they're available for interview in the near future, so in the mean time feel free to step up and be recognised in the bid to keep TTV the most listened to (only; generalized) talkback podcast for Doom alive!

Next week's Program B will be on Speedrunning.

40oz said:

I kinda popped up in this thread early on because Doom Radio always seemed like a brilliant idea to me and I wanted to do anything I could to add some steam to this engine, and in doing so I feel like I'm a part of it. It's a little discouraging to know I'm not, but I can respect the need to keep a radio show running under a solid framework instead of just being a get-together with no rules.

I can relate to your feelings in regard to this situation. But I think you went about this the wrong way. Both in how you decided to contact Tom without talking about it with the actual people in charge of the station. As well as how you are dismissing their reaction to this to you not being a part of the whole thing, not being allowed into the playground.

It's obvious to me that you are allowed to be part of it. But you have to realize that when you go after goals like this without consulting the people who are actually in charge, and just assuming that everyone will be on board. You're creating a difficult situation for the people who ARE in charge. Like Alfonze already said, it screws with their plans, and if you want to strive towards any kind of professional quality, you will need that planning and contact between the different parties involved.

If you are interested in taking a more active role in Tango TV, I am sure you can talk to the people who are in charge of the podcast and come to some sort of agreement. They are perfectly reasonable people and I doubt they'd say no to motivated and passionate people who truly want to help. But the key word here is communication. You need to talk to them about your involvement so both parties can make deliberate and informed decisions from that communication, which will make both parties happy. That's the only way you can work together. Otherwise it will be people going over eachother's heads or beind backs and sooner rather than later, people will bump into eachother, and everyone else get to see a dramatic spectacle as frustration turn into agression. But very little in actual podcasts.

Where's All the Data?'s 5th episode is a 10 minute review of Realm of Chaos, a 1996 megawad created by The Macintosh Team. Much like the WAD folks who remark on the mapset in question, however, I have nothing left to comment and will retire now to dinner.

>> Download << [12 mb]

Enjoy. But block your ears at the end!

I was watching some video that was used instead of usual audiofile as program B episode. Someone was playing Jenesis pwad on that video. And he used savename "fuck you essel". There are also many remarks on Back to Saturn X in some audio files, calling it shit, saying how things would be different if it would not suck so much, that it is samey, etc..

Why so much hate for Essel and his BTSX ?

Sokoro said:

I was watching some video that was used instead of usual audiofile as program B episode. Someone was playing Jenesis pwad on that video. And he used savename "fuck you essel". There are also many remarks on Back to Saturn X in some audio files, calling it shit, saying how things would be different if it would not suck so much, that it is samey, etc..

Why so much hate for Essel and his BTSX ?

Tarnsman is one of BTSX's main contributors, so he's in a better position than anyone to renounce its overwhelming terribleness.

And that's "fuck you double essel". Get it right.

Well if even its creators are renouncing that it is terrible, then maybe I should not play it after all.

Oh nice! One learns something new every day!

Seriously, This stuff is good to listen while mapping. I often go to browse some forums when I feel like being tired of looking at doombuilder, or thinking too long about what texture to use there and there. But these audio files keep my ears entertained while being doom related and not draging my attention out of doom.

REMINDER: All of the previously recorded podcasts can be streamed from doomradio.org]doomradio.org. Thanks to Bloodshedder for updating and maintaining the site!

Cavort! Your traditionally post-fortnight Program B episode has finally arrived, and this week we take a look at the hidden world of speedrunning! Together with Tarnsman and myself to discuss the topic are The Green Herring, dew, and Dime, who is prolific in the realm of RTS and formerly of Team Liquid. With this diverse and capable party of speedrunners, we move beyond the brass tacs to discuss some of the less immediate questions surrounding the subject. How does speedrunning impact the way you value a mapset? What's the deal with void glides? How best do we reinvigorate the public interest in this speciality?

It's all here in one 70 minute podcast. Don't miss out!

>> Download << [60 mb]

Next week's (and thus next fortnight's) Program B will take a look at story in Doom. If this seems like a bit of a scantily clad topic, consider for a moment the different sorts of narrative techniques that can be employed via different source ports, the arguments for and against the motion that Doom can be a game enriched by a decent storyline, and the different sorts of gameplay narrative that can arise from carefully arranged themes, maps and content. We're not talking about Doom's storyline exclusively, here!

On another note, it's about time we got back to doing some interviews, and so at some point in the next few weeks we'll have our sights set squarely on Rottking. But don't take this to mean there isn't room for more scheduling or interviewees! Spin me a PM or drop a reply in this thread if you're keen on taking part on any of the programs featured on Tango TV, or if you otherwise have any suggestions.

Im more of a streamer Memfis. I do stuff on SRL but am working on demos. Some of the discussion is kind of based on streaming vs demos etc.

My priority is a 30PL demo which I have not gotten an exit yet. So it's not a shock you haven't seen any of my demos.

He's also working on getting Plutonia into Awesome Games Done Quick.

Howdy folks! Just dropping by to inform you that an interview with Rottking is set to occur tomorrow evening. PM me with any questions you'd like to ask the man!

This week's episode of Program B is also awaiting upload, as well as the Where's All the Data? review of BtSX and Favillesco. Stay tuned for some quality podcasts! There's a good listener.

Guess who's back. Back again.

Tell all of your friends.

Episode 13 of Program B is a discussion on storytelling in Doom, featuring Xaser Acheron (of Yor) in addition to your regular co-hosts Tarnsman and Alfonzo. What is the importance of storytelling in a game like Doom, and what are the different ways in which you can employ a narrative or sense of progression? Does the use of source ports allow for story to be used convincingly as the central focus of a mapset? Does Alfonzo really have no idea what anime is, or is he just pulling your leg? All this and more!

>> Download << [50 mb]

Interviews and Data?'s pending upload. We're not dead yet, folks, and you can be damn sure we'll start flogging ourselves the second we hit the ground. Keep that Tango TV rollin'!

I thin we should start promoting these on the news page, if enough people (moderators) think that this sort of thing is newsworthy.

MTrop said:

I thin we should start promoting these on the news page, if enough people (moderators) think that this sort of thing is newsworthy.

I agree. It's a useful conduit for the community and should be promoted on the front page so that more people can see it. :)

I think that the main site, Doomradio.org, needs a bit of a facelift. It still has the aesthetics of "I just put this up in 2 minutes".

Anybody want to lend a hand at creating a decent Wordpress theme?

part of the reason that i think so many of us still don't know about Tango TV is that it's name does nothing to hint at what it is. Although I admit that I think the name is great simply because of its absurdity, It really does the show no favors by being this way. We might get to hear from a wider variety of guests if it had a more Doom-centric name.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where Katamori was thinking about starting something like this and he had no idea Tango TV existed. Other regulars commented in the thread and they also had no idea.

I've been hoping that the name was temporary and was going to change once you guys got comfortable in the host chairs. Any idea if this is a possibility or are you guys already in love with the name?

Yeah, the name is absolutely silly. I wasn't expecting it to actually be used.

6:35:42 PM Tango: essel
6:35:45 PM esselfortium: hey
6:35:48 PM Tango: we need a name for this doom interview series
6:35:56 PM esselfortium: TANGO TV
6:36:04 PM Tango: rofl

I agree.

The name really should be Doom Radio, like the domain.

A simple acknowledgement of its origins can be put on a separate page.

NiuHaka said:

part of the reason that i think so many of us still don't know about Tango TV is that it's name does nothing to hint at what it is.

I don't think it matters that much, Odamex's name also does nothing to hint at what it is but everybody knows what it is... "Doom Radio" sounds too boring and official compared to "Tango TV" imo.

What's the first thing that comes to mind when the word Rottking appears on screen? Is it the International Doom League, perhaps? Double Impact? Images of a strong and confident mountain lion padding down a luxury sofa? With a voice like freshly squeezed ambrosia crashing through a rugged landscape, one might be forgiven for thinking that the enigmatic King of the Triad is actually the second coming of Christ...

...But this is Tango TV, and we don't interview frauds.

Click below to hear this exclusive episode!

>> Download << [43 mb]

EDIT: As an aside, we'll be testing out "Doom Radio" as the main title for the series, with Tango TV being the subtitle that invariably gets thrown about as the modern iteration of the Doom Radio idea. Thanks for the open discussion on this front, folks -- we'll see if it sticks!

Announcing Ribbiks and TraversD as the next two interviewees for Doom Radio: TTV. Look forward to Ribbiks sometime in the next week or two!

> Declares each Where's All the Data? podcast to feature at the beginning of each month.
> Releases episode 6 on the 22nd of September.
> Has no regrets.

This month sees Sideshow Pavera sitting down with TTV's two most blathering co-hosts to review BTSX and Favillesco. It's a damn sight longer than the other episodes in the series at 40 minutes in length, so you can expect some truly impassioned arguments to be made about the projects, with many in response to wider community feedback.

>> Download << [38 mb]

You also may have noticed that Program B skipped a week, just quietly. And you'd be right! Expect an upload this weekend.