Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

syzGeeZm.jpg

*** Click the above picture to listen to all previous episodes and interviews, or listen in via itunes! ***

Founded by His Eminence The Tango in September 2012, Doom Radio is an ongoing broadcasting project designed to give voice to the Doom community, communicate ideas, and generally sling a lot of banter. It was originally conceived as a platform for conducting audio interviews, but the project has since expanded into the realm of talkback podcasts with the regular Intermission series, replacing the old, confused Program B series of shows, all of which you can still hear over at doomradio.org.

What's New?

27th May - Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

On this Emergency Pod edition of Doom Radio, the impending, and extremely leaky, release of John Romero’s hotly anticipated episogawad “SIGIL” has necessitated some gonzo journalism. Doomworld’s Linguica plays through SIGIL for the first time, with the help of playtester extraordinaire dew, who not only assisted in the playtesting of SIGIL itself, but also assists in the inner workings of Doomworld. It’s an insider extravaganza! This episode is an edited version of the conversation of

Linguica and dew during a co-op playthrough of SIGIL.

Podcast Series:

• Interviews: The flagship series, speaking to the biggest names within the Doom community, and possibly without! Interviews are generally one hour in length. PM Alfonzo or Bloodshedder on Doomworld if you're interested in taking to the hotseat.
  • Intermission: The new and exciting fortnightly Doom talkback podcast series; still like a modern breakfast show but without the trashy derailments and with loads more Doom. Features a bunch of different hot-topics and cool people like TerminusEst13, Kinsie and Sgt. Shivers. This is the true heart of the project, and the future of the Doom Radio experiment. Guests are welcome, so contact one of the aforementioned hosts if you're interested in taking part.
  • Where's All the Data?: The premier review podcast! Listen to Alfonzo as he succumbs to nepotism or rips apart some luckless sucker's cool new WAD. Leave you thoughts on the WADs discussed for your chance to feature at the end of each podcast!

Special thanks go to to Bloodshedder for doing all the legwork and supporting Doomradio.org, Jimmy91 for providing the various TTV jingles, and sgt. crispy for being the original and the best!

Edited by Alfonzo : I am a new podcast.

Just listened to the 3rd Program B episode. It was pretty interesting hearing your opinions on the different wads even when they disagreed with my own. Of course Tarnsman's rants were also as entertaining as usual.

I think your points on Interception were fair - when I first started mapping for it I sort-of knew that it would have some bad maps as well as good ones, but I think one of the best aspects of projects like that is being able to experience such a wide range of styles when playing them. It was a bit disappointing that you didn't mention your views on my maps, but that really isn't such a big deal. One correction: someone mentioned that the Phobosdeimos maps were unfinished, but from what I understand he considered them to be done when he submitted them - he just has a very minimalist style.

I also mostly agreed with what you guys had to say in the btsx discussion, but it's difficult to have a full opinion on the subject when I still don't know much about how the whole project was made. I was actually pretty surprised to learn the Alfonzo wasn't part of team. I called the selection process "highly selective" because from what I understand, Essel handpicked a group consisting of the best currently active mappers, certainly a "highly selective" bunch in my mind. Not sure how close this is to what actually happened though. It'd be really cool if the project's forums are made public after all the wads are released, so laymen like me can finally get to see what exactly was going on.

Anyways, thanks for using some of my suggested topics - nice to see that they didn't all got to waste. :)

Processingcontrol said:

I also mostly agreed with what you guys had to say in the btsx discussion, but it's difficult to have a full opinion on the subject when I still don't know much about how the whole project was made. I was actually pretty surprised to learn the Alfonzo wasn't part of team. I called the selection process "highly selective" because from what I understand, Essel handpicked a group consisting of the best currently active mappers, certainly a "highly selective" bunch in my mind. Not sure how close this is to what actually happened though. It'd be really cool if the project's forums are made public after all the wads are released, so laymen like me can finally get to see what exactly was going on.

There wasn't a conscious decision to create a highly-selective team, in setting out. After BTSX had been 'in progress' with a small disorganized group for a couple years and what little development was going on had completely stagnated, I went around contacting a lot of experienced mappers to see if one or two of them would be interested in making contributions, not expecting a lot of response, and to my surprise nearly all of them ended up participating. Several mappers on the team, like Pavera and franckFRAG, weren't actively sought out but just asked via private messages or IRC if they could do a map. I trusted them with the task and they delivered with really cool levels. So I think the selectiveness of the team may have been overstated a bit!

My exclusive selection process was essentially: "hey essel I have this layout can it be for btsx?" "yeah ok"

esselfortium said:

There wasn't a conscious decision to create a highly-selective team, in setting out. After BTSX had been 'in progress' with a small disorganized group for a couple years and what little development was going on had completely stagnated, I went around contacting a lot of experienced mappers to see if one or two of them would be interested in making contributions, not expecting a lot of response, and to my surprise nearly all of them ended up participating. Several mappers on the team, like Pavera and franckFRAG, weren't actively sought out but just asked via private messages or IRC if they could do a map. I trusted them with the task and they delivered with really cool levels. So I think the selectiveness of the team may have been overstated a bit!

Interesting, thanks for clarification!

Processingcontrol said:

One correction: someone mentioned that the Phobosdeimos maps were unfinished, but from what I understand he considered them to be done when he submitted them - he just has a very minimalist style

Blame Alfonzo, he told me they were unfinished when we played through it, so I just assumed he wasn't full of shit (THANKS ALFONZO!). That said I really did like Phobosdeimos' maps and considered them to be some of the best in the set.

Tarnsman said:

Blame Alfonzo, he told me they were unfinished when we played through it, so I just assumed he wasn't full of shit (THANKS ALFONZO!). That said I really did like Phobosdeimos' maps and considered them to be some of the best in the set.

you guys need to hire a Tango TV Fact Checker

Hark, fellow Tangolites!

Episode 5 of TTV's primary talkback Program B is now ready for downloab... and you're in for a treat! Khorus, Jimmy and Snakes agreed to set aside some time to talk to Tarnsman about the process behind making one-man megawads, delving into talks on stylistic compromise and self discipline, and offering their advise for budding level designers or those interested in the process of creating such monumental mapsets. If you're keen on hearing about the minds behind such winning releases as Jenesis, Base Ganymede or Unholy Realms* (or otherwise have delusions of grandeur) then check this out!

Or you could just download it anyway. We, uh, need the ratings.

>> Download << [55 mb]

Coming up in the next couple of days is the characteristically delayed review of 2002: A Doom Odyssey in episode 1 of Where's All the Data?... but most importantly we have an interview with Skillsaw coming up on the 7th, so stay sharp!

*My newly recruited and fully qualified TTV Fact Checker has just informed me that Unholy Realms still isn't out. God dammit Snakes.

st.alfonzo said:

*My newly recruited and fully qualified TTV Fact Checker has just informed me that Unholy Realms still isn't out. God dammit Snakes.

Snakes? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKES

Good podcast on single man megawad making. Took particular interest as I'm in the process of making and hopefully finishing a megawad soon. It's funny to see that I did a lot of the mistakes and faux pas you lot did when starting out.

NaturalTvventy said:

Ohh Skillsaw tomorrow! I'm lookin' forward to that one.

It's actually already completed, and went swimmingly indeed! I'll be looking to upload it (as well as Where's All the Data? E1) before too long.

st.alfonzo said:

I shall lock myself in my room with naught but my laptop, one month's supply of IPA bombers and Chili Cheese Fritos, and the films of Sergio Leone. I shall emerge only when UR is done.

You asked,* as we delivered. It's an interview with a skillsaw!

>> Download << [57 mb]

Massive, awesome dialogue runs riot through this episode as MTrop and myself glean a wealth of insight for the general public. Random points of interest include pizza delivery analogies, kitchen modelling, and a missed opportunity to make a Henry Fonda joke (13 Angry Arch-viles... it went right over my head!).

Episode 6 of Program B is postponed 'til next weekend, but if you're itching for a fixing then fret not; Where's All The Data hits the site tomorrow evening. Fantastic!

*Just play along. As long as they don't find the discrepancy between our published ratings and the forum feedback then they probably won't cut our funding.

Skillsaw, I am very upset that Skillsaw was not meant to imply that you are very good with wood working tools. I don't think I'll ever be able to move past this.

darkreaver said:

Get it up for streaming plz

the first ever live leaked sex tape?

Tarnsman said:

Skillsaw, I am very upset that Skillsaw was not meant to imply that you are very good with wood working tools. I don't think I'll ever be able to move past this.

Haha. I've heard the word used to refer to circular saws but I don't think I'd ever want to actually use one unless I had to. I value my fingers.

Anyways, thanks again to Alfonzo and Matt for having me. It was a lot of fun to be on! If anyone else is considering doing an interview but is a bit mic shy like me, I say go for it. Alfonzo and Matt are very friendly and easy to talk to.

yeah it definitely seems like it, It looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure I'd actually be able to do an interview some time, but I might need a beer and a red bull or something to really make it exciting.

I've been listening to the streams bloodshedder made available, mainly because I didn't feel the need to keep these monster files on my hard drive, as I'm sure I'd rarely listen to them more than once or twice. Their great to listen to while mapping, as it's doom related and masks the discouraging thoughts I make to myself while mapping in silence.

I'll have to make some time to appear as a special guest for a new episode, because it's important to me that we keep this going. You guys are a lot more insightful than I originally expected and I think I could fit into the conversations quite well. I kinda backed off at first only because we were "borrowing" our next door neighbors internet, and it's a little flaky and switches on and off sometimes, so it's not that reliable. But my fiance pays for our own internet now so I think I should be all right.

Thanks for the feedback and comments, all! It's much appreciated. I feel like we're still picking up steam, and that with even more shows of support and hard hitting discussions we'll be able to find our top form, ready to tackle any topic with maximum vigour and 'thusiasm.

Let's make it happen!

Anyhow, today seems like a good day to release episode one of TTV's premiere reviewing program; a scathing glance at pcorf and company's 2002: A Doom Odyssey... using musical chords as a rating system! That's right, no numbers here. We believe that a musical chord far better captures the nuances of subjectivity in review while offering up a solid framework for reference of quality. It's only 45 minutes in length, or there abouts, so why not listen to it on your way to work on the train, or while putting on the green at your local golfing club? Don't listen to it in your car though -- we've had reports of some people falling asleep. We're a respected broadcasting company and we don't want to lose out on a burgeoning success because your sorry backside doesn't know when to pull over. Or stop listening.

Enjoy!

>> Download <<

In other news, Program B episode 6 is coming ‘atcha in due course, as is a certain Mr. Tvventy we hope. We'll keep you posted!

That episode was great and an interesting listen. It was cool listening to criticisms of a flawed mapset. The tune at the end of the podcast made up of all of the musical ratings made me laugh out loud.

I've liked every episode of Tango TV so far. It's fun listening to it while mapping. Keep it up!

Or if you have a couple of hours to kill and want to watch how we arrived at our conclusion/us be pompous annoying elitists.

E1 Playthrough: http://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/c/2079914
E2 Playthrough: http://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/c/2079940
E3 Playthrough: http://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/c/2079974 and http://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/c/2080006
E4 Playthrough: http://www.twitch.tv/st_alfonzo/c/2080036

Sorry for the inconvenience here, but I had to reupload the podcast due to an egregious editing error around the seven minute mark, in which skype crashes and I reassure Tarnsman of my commendable skills to edit it out.

No Alfonzo, you're not the maestro.

Man, can you imagine how angry the fans would be if this thing was actually on time? Fuming, I'd wager. We'd never see the back of them.

Episode 6 of Program B is "all systems go!" and ready for tune-in, so what are you milling around for? Get clicking!

>> Download << [77 mb]

A slight hicup: This episode is not a discussion on Doom 3 and 4 as advertised. We had a couple of eager guests in Jimmy and essel waiting to jump in an help out at the time and so we elected to fast track to a discussion on music in Doom. 90 minutes of chit chat says it was time well spent, and we think you'll agree as we cover a whole mess of topics from soundfonts to mp3's, Mexican soap opera to Denis Leary.

I also used a more convenient method of mp3 to wav conversion before passing it through the Levelator on this occassion, although I'm not sold on the quality of the result... after it crops up on the site it should sound improved, but my apologies if it's not quite up to snuff.

In other news, 40oz is on the cards for an interview on the 27th of April, so pen it in and spin me some questions to ask him on your behalf! You can can also begin sending questions in for a future interview with Natural Tvventy, date still pending.

Aww yeah boy! It's gonna be fun to talk to you again. Hope you listeners enjoy it too!

Questions for Mr. Oz.

The original UAC Ultra was a mapping collab while UAC Ultra 2 isn't. Did you prefer mapping in collaboration with someone else or do you find mapping by yourself offers more freedom?

My impression of UAC Ultra 2 is that it attempts to break away from many common Doom mapping "tropes", particularly with it's handling of difficulty levels and avoidance of orthogonal walls. Do you think that many modern mapsets can run the risk of becoming formulaic by adhering too closely to doing things "the right way"?

Are there any modern mapping tropes that you hate?

What's your approach to difficulty levels in Doom? I've seen many people admit that it tends to be a bit of an afterthought. Is there any way you think we can all improve in this regard?