Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Doom Radio] Where's All the Data? Plays SIGIL

Episode 14 of Program B is a discussion on longevity in Doom. Approaching our favourite FPS's 20th anniversary, it seems appropriate to once again ponder why the game has continued to thrive both within and without the immediate community these last few years. Can we envision this success to continue further down the line? Sideshow Pavera takes part once again in what turns out to be a very thought provoking chat!

>> Download << [49 mb]

Next fortnight's Program B will present the idea of there being right or wrong ways to go about creating a level for Doom, and whether such a view is a valid one. We'll also be discussing what these different ways might be. Stay tuned for the completed interview with Ribbiks, as well as the next episode of Where's All the Data!

As always, we're looking for listeners to send in their thoughts regarding the Program B topic, so PM me with your say on the idea of there being right or wrong choices in map design. Better yet, you can volunteer to take part in the show! Guests abound, I say!

Just my two cents, by it strikes me that the idea that there any aspects of design that should be regarded as completely necessary when mapping for DOOM, or that there are any non-negotiable design choices in DOOM level creation, is kinda absurd. Still, I'll be interested to hear the show :)

It's a perfectly valid argument to be sure, but it's not at all universally held, which is partly why I think it will make for a fine discussion. I personally believe that there are certain choices one can make when designing a level for Doom that are simply bad, unless for instance the map is part of a jokewad or the gameplay is so far removed from Doom via source port features that it no longer qualifies for discussion. We've discussed at length on the program (this last one in particular) the fact that Doom is game that has gameplay so basic it can be moulded to fit almost any design envisioned, but it doesn't entirely exempt the author from all restraints. At least in my mind! Perhaps my peers will disagree?

Spin me a PM if you want to have your thoughts read out on the show, though!

I have a request. If we could please have a dedicated segment where Alfonzo and Tarnsman switch accents that would be great.

Announcing more people in the interview pipeline to look forward to. We have Super Jamie (UAC Ultra) and Devastation (Came in 2nd Place at the 20th Anniversary Doom Tourney at Quake Con) coming up in the near future.

Alfonzo said:

It's a perfectly valid argument to be sure, but it's not at all universally held, which is partly why I think it will make for a fine discussion. I personally believe that there are certain choices one can make when designing a level for Doom that are simply bad, unless for instance the map is part of a jokewad or the gameplay is so far removed from Doom via source port features that it no longer qualifies for discussion. We've discussed at length on the program (this last one in particular) the fact that Doom is game that has gameplay so basic it can be moulded to fit almost any design envisioned, but it doesn't entirely exempt the author from all restraints. At least in my mind! Perhaps my peers will disagree?

Spin me a PM if you want to have your thoughts read out on the show, though!

Well, it wasn't really an argument! Just an opinion, though - of course - I think I have good reasons for holding that opinion, but I neglected to supply any :)
I do agree though that, partly in view of this lurking point of dispute, it will make for an interesting discussion. Perhaps - to go up a level - it might be interesting if, on the show, you were to say something on why it is that you think that there are such standards of 'good' and 'bad' in DOOM mapping, and - relatedly - why you think that evaluative predicates like 'good' and 'bad', or 'correct' and 'incorrect', can be categorically applied to DOOM maps, or design decisions.

In any case, like I said, I look forward to the show :)

durian said:

Perhaps - to go up a level - it might be interesting if, on the show, you were to say something on why it is that you think that there are such standards of 'good' and 'bad' in DOOM mapping, and - relatedly - why you think that evaluative predicates like 'good' and 'bad', or 'correct' and 'incorrect', can be categorically applied to DOOM maps, or design decisions.

Heh, good idea. I've refurbished the episode's description to focus on the validity of this very idea. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

TimeOfDeath said:

Aw Ribbiks, you sold out man. ;)

Ribbiks has indeed sold out! All of the seats for this month's high profile interview (including those for general admission ticket holders) were purchased within just 36 hours of going on sale! it's a Doom Radio miracle!

>> Listen << [37 mb]

Today on TTV we sit down to chat with the man behind this year's Stardate 20X6 (A Homestar Runner reference, not a postcode) and Slaughterfest. He's a multi talented individual, involved in both the speed running and MIDI composition scenes, and we spend the best part of 45 minutes gleaning much about his methods and inspiration. Stay ye a while and listen!

EDIT: Linked the on-site stream in lieu of horribly panned mp3 download.

Jroc said:

The way you panned that is really horrible for headphone users, just saying.

Yikes! Thanks for pointing this out. I'd accidentally forgot to set each track to mono, leaving them instead as split stereo left/right. Fortunately Bloodshedder is a tolerant and charitable overseer, and fixed everything for the stream http://doomradio.org/tangotv/interview-with-ribbiks/.

Cool, I'll check out the Ribbiks interview when I get a chance on my work computer. I wonder if anyone could get an interview with gggmork.

Release of this week's already postponed Program B episode has been... postponed! Again! By one week. In the mean time, however, Where's All the Data's review of Kama Sutra is pending upload, and a whole new host of mysterious content looms closer on the horizon.

Brace yourselves for a prosperous era of unrelenting Doom Radio content!

After a criminally prolonged absence of almost 3 weeks, Doom Radio finally splutters to the surface with episode 7 of Doomworld's favourite podcast review program. Where's All the Data? features Kama Sutra as the centerpiece for this month's review.

>> Download << [20 mb]

Next month will feature both Snakes's recently released (took long enough, Knox!) Unholy Realms and pcorf's Zone 300, in what promises to be a very in-depth episode. Both Tarnsman and I were itching to play both of these mapsets before we finally got 'round to doing so, so you can bet your bottom dollar we'll be running riot come crunch time.

But are we running with praise or rage? Perhaps we're just running with scissors? Maybe we don't need an excuse to run; it's a free country. Find out later!

Hey, everybody. This week, we've got a brand new show for you on Doom Radio - Knee-Deep in the Code featuring me, Matt Tropiano, and my co-host, Doom Radio veteran Xaser.

Very first episodes require very special guests, and for this episode, we interview Pascal van der Heiden, or you may know him better as CodeImp, maker of amazing software such as Doom Connector and crowd favorite Doom Builder!

Due to the nature of the program, some parts of the talk may get pretty technical, but if you're still interested, have a listen. Hopefully my awkward stuttering still makes for good radio.

>> Download << [~45 mb]

Spectacular news indeed. A brand new show to fuel the Tango Truck!

Knee-Deep in the Code is 100% Alfonzo free and MTrop governed, you'll be glad to hear, which by all calculations should mean an exponential boost in our listenership. Tune in to KDitC for all of your technical insight!

Jimmy mentioned here that it might be a good idea to run a Halloween speedmapping session: would you guys be keen on that? Unless it's already November where you guys are, I can never keep track of international times.

As a kiwi, you pave the way chronological path of chronological chronologicalness.
Please inform me within the next 100 minutes if October 30th is a good day or a bad day. If it is the latter, I will not be participating in October 30th. ^_^

Hello folk people, yes! The Doom Radio halloween speedmapping special, aka TTV's Halloween Speedmapping Extravaganza 2013, will take place on the 2nd of November at 10pm EDT. Send me a PM and I will respond with skype contact details, and answer any other questions you may have. Tell your friends!

Spooky cool!

Heh, I thought it'd be straight on the night: you going trick or treating, Alfonzo? ;-P I'll send my details.

Alfonzo said:

Hello folk people, yes! The Doom Radio halloween speedmapping special, aka TTV's Halloween Speedmapping Extravaganza 2013, will take place on the 2nd of November at 10pm EDT. Send me a PM and I will respond with skype contact details, and answer any other questions you may have. Tell your friends!

Spooky cool!

Just for absolute clarification, that's 1pm on the Sunday for you, Fonz, and hence 10am for me?

Yes sir! And may we be thankful that it isn't the day after, too, otherwise the sudden time shift in America would throw my already ill-equipped mind for time zone navigation completely off kilter.

Maybe if Australia was a civilized nation it would have Daylight Savings as well, but you don't be cause you waste daylight like the polluting environment haters you are.

A little under 6 hours to go yet. Time zones can be confusing!

As an aside, all future updates and enquiries regarding Doom Radio speedmapping events will and should be made here.