Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
march12314

Doom (SNES) Level Select Pro Action Replay Cheat

It's not necessarily a new discovery, but I think it may interest at least one in the spectrum of the good ol' SNES games. I also thought it may be interesting to share. I take no credit in the actual code, just the list that follows with the corresponding variables. So here it is.

7E06D1XX

The value XX starts off at the 2 digit variable "00" (Hangar) and continues on in single digit increments. That is, until it reaches E2M2-E2M4 and E3M8. That being said, here's the list.

00 - E1M1
01 - E1M2
02 - E1M3
03 - E1M4
04 - E1M5
05 - Freezes Game (Central Processing missing)
06 - E1M6
07 - E1M7 (End of Episode 1)
08 - E1M8 (Secret Level : Military Base)

09 - E2M1
0A - Freezes Game (Containment Area missing)
0B - E2M2 (I have no idea why they used lettering instead of integers)
0C - E2M3
0D - Freezes Game (Command Center missing)
0E - E2M4
0F - Freezes Game (Spawning Vats missing)
10 - E2M5 (End of Episode 2)
11 - E2M6 (Secret Level : Fortress Of Mystery)

12 - E3M1
13 - E3M2
14 - E3M3
15 - E3M4
16 - Freezes Game (Unholy Cathedral missing)
17 - E3M5
18 - E3M6
19 - E3M7 (End of Episode 3 and Game)
1A - E3M8 (Secret Level - Warrens)

That was quite the mouthful, but there you go. I hope you all enjoy, and thanks for letting me post.

Cool.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to play the SNES port, though. Getting the game working on 1990 16-bit games console was impressive, and, of course, anything to do with Doom is welcomed and celebrated by people around here. But this seems like something only applicable if you wished to play through it. Owning a cheat cartridge is also a prerequisite.

The SNES port was my first version of Doom and the only one for a long time and just playing through Doom 1 I actually prefer to run through it on an emulator rather than play the PC version of Doom 1. It's for nostalgic purposes, but that version is also a bit harder and has better distribution of music tracks among levels. The music itself also sounds better for my tastes than the standard midi variants. Also, the levels that are missing from it just don't feel like doom 1 for me because I played a version without them for so long. Overall if I play for myself I would never choose the PC version over the SNES one.

By the way march12314, I think they used letters because the level number is hex.

Thanks Antroid. It's odd how I feel as though when I play episode 2 on the PC that I'm annoyed by all the "extra" levels. As if they were all in the first place, foreign territory. But I'm glad someone else shares the same feelings. I think they did an absolute good job in removing the levels that felt lacking in the Doom title. But that's just in my opinion. :)

Sorry, I just can't see removing levels from the game as a good thing.

The SNES synth's version of the original soundtrack does sound better than the raw MIDIs, I'll grant you (although it's missing a few tracks itself), but the PC version is superior in pretty much every other way.

I wouldn't say they removed bad levels, but those levels just don't feel as much at home in the game for me as the others. Though I think all the removed music is legit crap and only the good tunes were left in the SNES port. But, again, for me it's 95% nostalgia.

Edit: also, since there was no saving in the snes port, having less levels is actually better since you had to play a whole episode in one sitting.

Shadow Hog said:

Gonna disagree again there; "I Sawed the Demons" is one of the better tracks from Episode 2.

I didn't like it at all, it's way too happy and upbeat for doom. I stand firm in my belief that "hiding the secrets" is an infinitely better track for that map.

That's funny, because I always felt "Hiding the Secrets" sounded much more upbeat than "I Sawed the Demons" did.

Boy are we way off-topic.

One of the biggest disappointments for me was the "new" music choice for Refinery. I mean, the intermission track? On a playable map?

It physically hurts.

Yeah, that was pretty bad. Refinery went pretty well with "the demons from adrian's pen", and I never managed to quite associate that track with the original e2m2. However, besides that and e2m1, for me the biggest disappointment, bar none, was the fact that "waltz of the demons" was used in e2m7 before e3m7. It doesn't really fit e2m7 and I think it should not have been "spoiled" before Limbo, which I always thought was the perfect penultimate hell level atmosphere-wise. All indoors, marble and ground and the red areas, damaging floors everywhere, and that amazingly haunting and sinister track. Hearing it on e2m7 beforehand must lessen the impact considerably.

Going to have to try these out! always just used my save states of each map i made.. always nice to hear people talking about prefering to play the snes versiob over the pc! i also play this version more often, at least when making a real attemp, not just for quick play, pc for that!

well i spent a lot of time working on a pc snes mod, so youve heard my opinion before!

Holy crap, FINALLY someone else who noticed this interesting little trivia about SNES Doom. All the level slots of the original game are maintained.

I would love to see a editor for doom snes! more so for playstation or n64, but something about the snes would just be fun!

Man, this would have come in such great handy back when the SNES Doom mod was just getting started. Having to play through all the maps consecutively on SNES Doom can be torture.

Bashe said:

Man, this would have come in such great handy back when the SNES Doom mod was just getting started. Having to play through all the maps consecutively on SNES Doom can be torture.

its about time for another full round!

What ever happened to the snes doom mod anyway, the last time I tried looking for it the only link to it was dead.

Avoozl said:

What ever happened to the snes doom mod anyway, the last time I tried looking for it the only link to it was dead.

it was never hosted, just mega upload and fileshare links.. i can upload it for you. i keep meaning to put together a cleaned up version. i would also like to do a version compatible with a dos version of doom. it would be simplified, no spc suppor etc.. something not specific to zdoom would be nice..

I would actually also be really interested in trying that mod, I have stumbled upon it in the past but I think it was either incomplete or the links were dead or there was some other reason why I don't have it yet. Upload it somewhere please - to mediafire for example, should last for a while.

It couldnt be added to id games database, because of the re-use of sprites and the spc's. It was never 100% conplete, but we did have a version with altered maps and a hud designed like the snes! looked good, but required also using the maps.. That was when i figured we should a simple version with doom2 support, and work was underway, but not finished. i should finish.it!

ShaneAmp said:

That was when i figured we should a simple version with doom2 support, and work was underway, but not finished.

Doom 2 The Way Sculptured Software Would Do? :)

Da Werecat said:

Doom 2 The Way Sculptured Software Would Do? :)

taking the behavior diffrences and adding it to the monsters and sounds that were not in the snes doom ie, single sided, faster animation, reduced and cropped sounds.. i was actually surprised last time i looked that i only really had sound editing left to finish!

Someone has a video on youtube of a fairly old version of the mod, someone here i would guess, would be nice to update that, have it known for more then that..