Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Source Ports > Chocolate doom issue

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
theserbiandoomer
Warming Up

Im trying to play Ultimate Doom using chocolate doom. I drag the IWAD into chocolate doom at it wont play the game. When i first downloaded it, it would play Doom 2. Now somehow its playing the Plutonia experiment. Does dragging and dropping not work? Please help!!

Old Post 06-11-13 19:01 #
theserbiandoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Chocolate Doom does not support drag and drop. The documentation (INSTALL.txt) explains how to get started:

code:
* Within Explorer, simply place the IWAD file in the same folder as the Chocolate Doom files, and double-click chocolate-doom.exe. * Run Chocolate Doom from the command prompt with the '-iwad' command line parameter to specify the IWAD file to use, eg. chocolate-doom -iwad c:\games\doom2.wad * Set the environment variable DOOMWADDIR to the location of a directory containing your IWAD files. * If you have multiple IWADs in different directories, set the environment variable DOOMWADPATH to be a semicolon-separated list of directories to search (similar to the PATH environment variable).

Old Post 06-11-13 20:15 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

If you want drag-and-drop of IWADs for ChocoDoom, create a batch file, named chocolate-doom.bat (or anything else you want; the extension is important but not the name).

A .bat file is a text file, so edit it and put this single line of code in it:

code:
chocolate-doom -iwad %1

Old Post 06-12-13 09:45 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Or use a launcher.

Old Post 06-12-13 10:23 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Indeed.

Or make a bunch of shortcuts for each iWAD.

Old Post 06-12-13 16:47 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
theserbiandoomer
Warming Up

What kind of launcher can I use?

Old Post 06-12-13 22:55 #
theserbiandoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
theserbiandoomer
Warming Up

Gez said:
If you want drag-and-drop of IWADs for ChocoDoom, create a batch file, named chocolate-doom.bat (or anything else you want; the extension is important but not the name).

A .bat file is a text file, so edit it and put this single line of code in it:

code:
chocolate-doom -iwad %1

How do I go about doing this?

Old Post 06-12-13 22:57 #
chungy

Um... exactly as Gez said?

Old Post 06-12-13 23:44 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

You don't know how to create a text file?

Old Post 06-12-13 23:58 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Gez said:
You don't know how to create a text file?

We were all once computer novices, weren't we? :P

Old Post 06-13-13 00:11 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

I'm only asking to make sure that's the issue here.

Old Post 06-13-13 00:15 #
theserbiandoomer
Warming Up

I know how to make a text file but I dont know what to put in the text file.

Old Post 06-13-13 01:10 #
wesleyjohnson

In windows, Open NOTEPAD (or WORDPAD).
Type in (or copy) the line:

chocolate-doom -iwad %1

Save it as a ANSI TEXT file (not the defaults in windows) with a name like "choco.txt"

Rename it to "choco.bat"
( You could try to name it "choco.bat" in the editor, but this is safe. )

Make it executable, if your system requires that to execute the file.
(Right click, properties).
(I run Linux, so your executable requirements may vary).

Bring up a DosBox or the command line, and type in the name "choco"
example:
>> choco plutonia.wad

Old Post 06-13-13 01:51 #
wesleyjohnson is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

theserbiandoomer said:
I know how to make a text file but I dont know what to put in the text file.

Just the code line I put above. (chocolate-doom -iwad %1) Nothing else is needed.

Old Post 06-13-13 09:13 #
Quasar

wesleyjohnson said:
In windows, Open NOTEPAD (or WORDPAD).
( You could try to name it "choco.bat" in the editor, but this is safe. )

This'll fail on any stock install of Windows because the shell option to hide known file type extensions is always enabled. If you name a file this way in Notepad with that setting enabled, it will append .txt silently and invisibly to the end of every file name, even if it already has an extension.

Old Post 06-13-13 13:48 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sector666

I know you can right click on a file, choose properties, and change the filename there. Hitting OK to confirm does change the extension too if it was altered. But I don't know if that still works if hide known file type extensions is enabled.

In case anyone finds this thread wanting to drag and drop pwads with Choco Doom as well:

code:
chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -file %1 -skill 4 -warp 11
That would load the pwad using doom.wad (assuming it's in the same folder as Choco Doom) and start E1M1, on UV difficulty.

code:
chocolate-doom -iwad doom2.wad -file %1 -skill 3 -warp 07 -fast
Doom2 using pwad's Dead Simple replacement, Hurt Me Plenty, fast monsters.

Having a few bat files for the different episodes and iwads is very convenient if you don't want to use a launcher.

Old Post 07-01-13 20:58 #
sector666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote