Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Romero posted a doom 2 cover poster on FB

Well I haven't, and got to agree with the well demon, this looks so much better.

Always felt that marine picked a bad spot to fight a Cyberdemon, with his back to a wall like that. Splash damage will get to you.

Mordeth said:

Always felt that marine picked a bad spot to fight a Cyberdemon, with his back to a wall like that. Splash damage will get to you.

From the poses and action I've always felt like the Cyberdemon just stepped out of the smoke and the Doomguy is taking a reaction shot before he GTFO's.

uhh, explain for noobs why this is interesting please, I think I've seen this like 10 years ago?

Personally, I've never seen a version this crisp and high quality, so this is a great surprise. Now if only we could get an absurd resolution version, so I could take the image file down to a place that makes posters... :3

Jaws In Space said:

Could you imagine if this had been accepted as the box art instead?

Definitely odd. That was the original box art, right? The CyberDemon just looks like a mutant bull with metallic hooves...

Jaws In Space said:

It would have been great... for Contra.

schwerpunk said:

Personally, I've never seen a version this crisp and high quality, so this is a great surprise. Now if only we could get an absurd resolution version, so I could take the image file down to a place that makes posters... :3

There are definitely better quality versions of Brom's "Doomed" artwork floating around that are higher resolution, less compressed, and less washed out. For instance:
http://lcart2.narod.ru/image/fantasy/brom/brom_doomed.jpg

There's also this version which is a larger resolution and less cropped but seems to have had its black levels crushed too far:
http://interesnoe.info/pictures/gallery/gallery3/GERALD_BROM__Doomed.jpg

And just for fun, this is Gerald Brom's "Druid" which should be quite familiar:
http://www.sfxman.com/ttboard/data/GALLERY7/druid.jpg

The Doomist said:

Definitely odd. That was the original box art, right? The CyberDemon just looks like a mutant bull with metallic hooves...

Yes, that was the original Doom 2 covert art illustrated by Julie Bell who had also done the original Wolfenstein cover art. Fitting that you mention the Cyberdemon resembling a bull as Romero said that's exactly why they rejected it. Nonetheless, you can still buy a print of the art from the artist here:
http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=88

And since it's also on the same site as Brom's stuff, here's Bell's "Judgement Day" in high resolution as well:
http://lcart3.narod.ru/image/fantasy/julie_bell/hc/julie_bell_jugdementday.jpg

So the artist who made the cover art for Doom 2 also did the one for Heretic? Sweet! :D

BTW, isn't the Cyberdemon technically a bull, just slightly more humanoid? Other than that, I agree with the sentiment that the design in the old art didn't look all that great.

Also, one thing I do like about the old art is that the background looks more like a city than the final, which looks more like the Tower of Babel from the previous game.

Demon of the Well said:

The bit of starry night sky in the corner does worlds of good for the image.

I remember really liking the starry night background used in a few maps in PSX Final Doom. I always felt it added a ton of atmosphere to the game.

TBQH I have never seen a Doom II poster like this one, showing the rest of the surroundings and without the Doom II logo superimposed. Also, WTF@mirroring.

Revenant100 said:

*drops mana from heaven*

*Right-click save-as; Right-click save-as; Right-click save-as.* I don't suppose there's any way to, um, 'expand the blacks' on an without losing information / image quality, eh? :/

@joe-ilya: It's not exactly subtle, but somehow I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out, lol.

Jaws In Space said:

Hmm, when I first saw that I thought it was a cartoon of the real Doom 2 title pic.

Avoozl said:

One thing I find weird is Doom guy's hair style.

You are not alone. Brom was interviewed a while back and one of the questions was about the Doom guy's hair style that he chose. Even though I hate the style I still love that he has it because it gives it that 80's sci-fi movie look.

Avoozl said:

One thing I find weird is Doom guy's hair style.

So you're completely fine with the cyber crotch gap?

j4rio said:

So you're completely fine with the cyber crotch gap?

Well he is part cyborg.

IMO if you look closer, it's not a hole, but a very dark mechanical metallic joint.

Revenant100 said:

Great pictures, thanks a lot for posting them.

By the way, does anyone have a similar quality picture of Doom 1's cover art?