Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreyGhost

I'm giving away copies of Doom Classic Complete and only Steam can stop me!

BloodyAcid said:

>>make new account
>>gift yourself

Best idea to make yourself look less selfish than you really are. Great way to own 20 copies of Doom though.

joe-ilya said:

Doom Classic Complete?
What is that? The whole doom series like : doom , doom II , plutonia , tnt?

It's Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and the Master Levels rolled into one package. With the exception of No Rest for the Living, it's pretty much all of the commercial Doom wads you can get.

I caved in and bought the quakecon package today. Never thought I'd actually own the doom games on steam. As a pleasant surprise, the package also landed me RAGE, even though that game is restricted on steam in Russia due to some publisher-related legal stupidity.

In any case, happy birthday GreyGhost! Repeating everyone's sentiment, you're a cool dude for doing this, for sure.

Happy birthday, GG!

wesleyjohnson said:

Does anyone who already has Steam know if you get a legal transferable copy of the game, that can be moved ?

The games will generally be downloaded to the following place:
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\<Game Name>\base

More precisely, in the case of Doom-engine games, the directories are:
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\DOOM 3 BFG Edition\base\wads
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Final Doom\base
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Heretic Shadow of the Serpent Riders\base
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Hexen\base
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel\base
<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Master Levels of Doom\master\wads (with bonus Doom II IWAD in <Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\Master Levels of Doom\doom2)
<Steam Directory>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ultimate Doom\base

For the old Doom engine games (and many other vintage titles), it's just a DOS Box package. So you do not need to use Steam again once they are downloaded successfully. You do not need to use Steam to run the games. You can fire up DOSBox yourself, you can use source ports, you can copy the IWAD and exes and other files anywhere you please, nothing will try to prevent it.

<Steam Directory>\SteamApps\common\

You're welcome.

Creaphis said:

GreyGhost, however, is priceless. Happy birthday.

Actually, I can be bought, but I'm not cheap. Thanks.

WildWeasel said:

Nice thread title change. =P

Yep, it seems I'm not unstoppable after all.

Patch93 said:

Alright, count me in for Doom Classic Complete

Consider yourself counted.

XCOPY said:

So I can stop having to satisfy myself by beating fake cyberdemons

QFT. As we all know, true cybers are sinistrals.

wesleyjohnson sadi:
Worse, it is a dial-up modem (Steam seems to require broadband).
I go to the library for large downloads, where I can get 120 Kbps

Steam's too large a download for dialup and the library probably won't let you install it. Do you know someone who'll let you plug your Linux box into their ADSL router?

Thanks to the other well-wishers. Maybe I should have birthdays more often.

Obsidian said:

It's Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and the Master Levels rolled into one package. With the exception of No Rest for the Living, it's pretty much all of the commercial Doom wads you can get.

It's crazy that NRFTL is missing, since it's in the PS3 version of DCC. I had to buy BFG edition just to get the nerve.wad file off it to complete my official wad collection :/

Anyway, hb Grey, this is a great thing your doing and reminds me that the Doom community is pretty much the only decent one left these days.

Well it is Doom Classic Complete and NRFTL was made in 2010 afaik.. so it makes sort of sense..
What is stupid is that they do not offer to buy NRFTL alone, for like $3 or even for free (if you own doom2 already).
Instead, You are forced to buy that monstrosity which is called Doom3: BFG edition, with broken iwads.

Ladies and gentlemen, as of August 3rd 2013, I am proud to announce that I am officially a legal owner of Doom. (Aside from a SNES Doom cart.) :D Thank you so much GreyGhost, if you weren't for you, I would have had to suffer an eternity with the freeloaders. :P But in all seriousness, this was truly a kind and generous act of you and I wish you have had a happy birthday. :)

Also brb checking out the Master Levels.

Thanks Gez, that is what I needed to hear.
I would just install Steam on the Linux boot of this machine, if it is going to be less than 10 MB download. That is 30 min to 2 hours.

I have gotten a 750MB download (flightgear) through the library by changing a few of the FireFox defaults and doing it in three trips and using days where they automatically extend your allotted time. It still takes hours and hours. If their install can be teased into downloading without installing, then I can get it that way.

Another solution is to zip the Heretic and leave it somewhere I can get to it.

Another is to just send me the confirmation that I have a legal copy purchased on Steam, and I can then copy the Heretic binary from the easiest available source. Is the Steam Heretic copy marked with any kind of special Steam identification ???

Thanks...

Wesley, did you get my emails? As soon as it's in your steam account it's yours and you can access it from another computer (you just have to input a special key that's sent to your email in order to use your steam account with the other computer, I think).

wesleyjohnson said:

Have received emails, but not special key (that I have noticed).
Thanks ...

Special key? I thought with gifts one just sends the gift to a user with steam without the need of a key. I'll have to look into this and report back. Either way, this copy is reserved for you. Oh, by special key I mean say if you have, I don't know, steam installed on one PC and want to access your steam account via, I don't know, mobile or another completely different computer that you have installed it on. Steam sends this code to your email that allows you to activate the already existing account on another computer. The special key isn't for a gift (if that's what you're wondering).

You'll be emailed a code to input the first time you try to log into your steam account on a computer other than the one you registered on.

Ragnor said:

It's crazy that NRFTL is missing, since it's in the PS3 version of DCC. I had to buy BFG edition just to get the nerve.wad file off it to complete my official wad collection :/

Well the difference is that Doom Classic Complete on Steam is just a bundle of the existing Steam downloads for the games, which are vanilla running in DOSBox, while the PS3 version is a "game" running in the same engine used for BFG Edition.

Now why they couldn't just have No Rest for the Living use the new engine with a separate copy of Doom 2, similar to how Master Levels works, is a mystery. When Doom 3 BFG Edition is $5 it's a non-issue, but at normal price NRFTL just isn't worth buying that compilation, so it'd be great to have it as a separate game on Steam.

(As a side note, the way the games are packed on Steam leaves a lot to be desired, even if you want to use vanilla Doom. Ultimate Doom has terrible default DOSBox settings, the other games run at 800x600 so text mode screens look terrible, Master Levels installs a second copy of Doom 2, Evilution is run as a pwad so you get the "modified" warning and Plutonia's text strings... id, I'd fix this shit for free, it's not hard!)

Edit: Oh, and before I forget, happy birthday GreyGhost, and thanks for doing this! You're awesome :)

Not to mention it runs with an outdated version of DOSBox. You're better off just copying the game files into a different directory, and then download and install the latest version of DOSBox, and use that.

wesleyjohnson said:

Is the Steam Heretic copy marked with any kind of special Steam identification ???

Nope. Exactly the same as Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders on floppies.

The only difference is that since they've bundled it with DOSBox in a lazy way, the original README.TXT from Heretic (I'm pretty sure there was one) got overwritten by that from DOSBox.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Well the difference is that Doom Classic Complete on Steam is just a bundle of the existing Steam downloads for the games, which are vanilla running in DOSBox, while the PS3 version is a "game" running in the same engine used for BFG Edition.

Now why they couldn't just have No Rest for the Living use the new engine with a separate copy of Doom 2, similar to how Master Levels works, is a mystery. When Doom 3 BFG Edition is $5 it's a non-issue, but at normal price NRFTL just isn't worth buying that compilation, so it'd be great to have it as a separate game on Steam.

(As a side note, the way the games are packed on Steam leaves a lot to be desired, even if you want to use vanilla Doom. Ultimate Doom has terrible default DOSBox settings, the other games run at 800x600 so text mode screens look terrible, Master Levels installs a second copy of Doom 2, Evilution is run as a pwad so you get the "modified" warning and Plutonia's text strings... id, I'd fix this shit for free, it's not hard!)

Edit: Oh, and before I forget, happy birthday GreyGhost, and thanks for doing this! You're awesome :)

Yeah, I bought DCC on PC just to get the Master Levels a long while back. I gave the BFG Edition to my brother, then pulled nerve.wad off his installation.

It's shocking just how lazy the Steam Dooms are.

GreyGhost: Do you have still have a copy of Heretic & Hexen pack? If so, I'd love to have a copy of it since I own all Doom games on disk but am missing all Heretic & Hexen full games.

Attempts to install Steam have failed.
(Mozilla Firefox 20)

On Linux: Cannot load steam pages. Page would not come up even after 15 minutes of waiting. I could get DoomWorld though.

On WinXP: Get Steam page would not advance. Would not let me select a question, nor change the captcha. JavaScript is enabled.

Is Steam this erratic or is it just slow dial-up that it does not like ??

Life (and downloading) would be easier if the old idtech games were on GOG.

Cire said:

GreyGhost: Do you have still have a copy of Heretic & Hexen pack?

I have, and it has such big, empty, sad looking eye sockets - like it's pleading with me to find it a new home. What's your Steam ID?

Good question. I emailed your copy to the gmail address you provided but it's still sitting in my gift list. Check wherever your spam mail normally ends up, if it's not there I can try re-sending the gift. If you've received other emails from Steam, could you PM me the name they identify you by.

Man, how on Earth are there still empty slots...

Patch93 said:

Not to mention it runs with an outdated version of DOSBox. You're better off just copying the game files into a different directory, and then download and install the latest version of DOSBox, and use that.

Stuff like this warms my heart. Mostly because when I was growing up, not-quite-legally acquired games made up well over half of my 'collection.'

Feels good to go legit, doesn't it, Patch? :)

I'd imagine there are still empty slots because this is Doomworld, where everyone has at least one copy of one of the Dooms in some form.

Also, GG, do you gift them as Steam inventory gifts, I might have a friend who wants it.

GreyGhost said:

Good question. I emailed your copy to the gmail address you provided but it's still sitting in my gift list. Check wherever your spam mail normally ends up, if it's not there I can try re-sending the gift. If you've received other emails from Steam, could you PM me the name they identify you by.

I don't see it there\at all.

SavageCorona said:

I'd imagine there are still empty slots because this is Doomworld, where everyone has at least one copy of one of the Dooms in some form.

Yeah, still got my Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom discs here.

I used to have the 5-episode Heretic and Hexen + Deathkings discs and (probably due to moving house almost a dozen times in as many years) misplaced them down the line, so I don't have those legitimately any more.