Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GooberMan

By unpopular demand...

Absolutely perfect. =)

Unpopular demand? Screw that. I demand more of them. The last six comics of yours have been about 900x as funny as the last six Penny Arcades.

deadnail said:

Unpopular demand? Screw that. I demand more of them. The last six comics of yours have been about 900x as funny as the last six Penny Arcades.

Tycho said:

You might recall that Gabe and I never had any intention of doing "funny" cartoons, and some would argue that we've been largely successful.

Every time I watch the first couple, I think he's talking about me. Thank God I'm always wrong.

DC

Anyone have any ideas for what I should cast my attention to for the next one? It's either give me a few ideas or wait a while until I come up with another one.

GooberMan said:

Anyone have any ideas for what I should cast my attention to for the next one? It's either give me a few ideas or wait a while until I come up with another one.

Something about Lüt being Jesus.

I was going to do one on why Millennium is taking so long (the text at the end of it was going to be "Every post Lüt makes on a forum delays Millennium's release by 1/2 a day. Is this what you want?"), but first that whole ordeal last month happened, and then it was revealed Millennium will be released next month so that idea's now officially dead. Lüt as jesus? hmmmm, I'd have to think about it

GooberMan said:

I was going to do one on why Millennium is taking so long (the text at the end of it was going to be "Every post Lüt makes on a forum delays Millennium's release by 1/2 a day. Is this what you want?"), but first that whole ordeal last month happened, and then it was revealed Millennium will be released next month so that idea's now officially dead. Lüt as jesus? hmmmm, I'd have to think about it

I think at this point you could joke about and make a comic about last month's "ordeal."

I fixed it 1 second before you posted (got a phone call). Pretty nice of goobie to pay all that attention to DeePsea:)

In fact, DeePsea is much easier than WA for editing.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's see. I'm an idiot. And I learned to edit levels on WA in a day. WA does things for you, like make doors and stairs, and fixes your errors.

Archvile64 said:

I think at this point you could joke about and make a comic about last month's "ordeal."

Not according to this South Park chapter...but we're more advanced than real-life's community anyway.

Archvile64 said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's see. I'm an idiot. And I learned to edit levels on WA in a day. WA does things for you, like make doors and stairs, and fixes your errors.

Uh, so does Deepsea. Better than WA, in fact.

Liam the Bard said:

Uh, so does Deepsea. Better than WA, in fact.

Well you all said "WADAUTHOR" whenever I asked which editor would be the best for an editing newbie like myself to download.

Archvile64 said:

Well you all said "WADAUTHOR" whenever I asked which editor would be the best for an editing newbie like myself to download.

LOL - I don't always reply - don't want to sound too pushy you know:)

The thing about WA is that he made a mistake enforcing the shareware time limit, so it's "free" in a way. Too bad for him and too late for him to fix that now. It's a good editor for starting out, just a bit limited in what it can do as you get interested in more things.

For example, if you get into Hi-Res textures (invented by DeePsea and supported by ZDOOM and 1 other port right now and maybe LEGACY soon), you might find the tools interesting. Texture creation from BMPs takes just a few clicks. There's a thread in editing about this.

Archvile64 said:

I learned with WA. Deepsea would've just frustrated me when I was a newbie. I'd recommend Deepsea or DETH once you can do serious stuff with WA though, WA is extremely limited in what it can do compared to those two.

I learned with WA. Deepsea would've just frustrated me when I was a newbie.

Exactly, WA is easier than than Deepsea.

The thing about WA is that he made a mistake enforcing the shareware time limit, so it's "free" in a way. Too bad for him and too late for him to fix that now.

Why is the fact that it's free a bad thing? I have the registered version, anyway, so I really don't worry about any shareware constraints.

For example, if you get into Hi-Res textures (invented by DeePsea and supported by ZDOOM and 1 other port right now and maybe LEGACY soon), you might find the tools interesting.

Meh, I really don't care about that kind of stuff, not right now away. First of all, I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to editing, seeing as how I've only totally completed one level so far. Also, I'm too fucking stupid/busy/lazy to learn all the source-port tricks and stuff, I looked at Rick Clark's ACS guides, and could barely understand a single word (I'm sure his guides are fine, it's just my computer illiteracy ;) ).

Besides, if I ever do decide to really get involved with that, I have the ZDoom wcf file for WA, which I looked at and it didn't seem that awful.

Texture creation from BMPs takes just a few clicks. There's a thread in editing about this.

This is where WinTex comes in handy. I've learned to edit using a WA/WinTex tag team, and I've gotten used to it/good with it, so I see no reason to quit now.

I'm sorry if I came out sounding like I was bashing Deepsea or other editors, I really didn't mean to sound like that, I haven't tried any of them, I'm sure they're good but for right now I'm doing fine using WadAuthor and WinTex.

Archvile64 said:
Exactly, WA is easier than than Deepsea.

There are more choices in DeePsea which intimidate beginners. However, if you stick to PREFABS only then DeePsea is actually easier. The prefabs are way more flexible - since you can move them around your level (and resize them) before they DROP. Plus you can drag any vertex on top of a line and it will spit instantly and other stuff like that.

Why is the fact that it's free a bad thing?

LOL - it's not supposed to be free, that was my point. John W has posted many times here emphasizing that point (he didn't even know how bad it was).

This is where WinTex comes in handy. I've learned to edit using a WA/WinTex tag team, and I've gotten used to it/good with it, so I see no reason to quit now.

Sorry to hear that. DeePsea can make a 1000 textures in about 1 minute from BMPs WITHOUT you having to know a single thing about PNAMES, TEXTURE names and PATCHES. Since you say you don't like things complicated, figured that might appeal to you.

Wintex has many limitations and awkard moments with the new port lumps. Hi-Res textures are out of the question. But like I said, the more sophisticated you get the more you'll realize what I'm saying.

WA does not support the NEW BOOM or ZDOOM flags. Something that is sometimes totally not known even by experienced designers. They think the few extra types is all there is. There are 1000's of extra linedef types and a whole bunch of extra sector types you don't see in any WCF file.

I'm sorry if I came out sounding like I was bashing Deepsea or other editors

That's not bashing. You're just expressing what is working for you. By the same token, I'm not bashing either, just pointing out some basic differences. Everybody has a different comfort level - not a problem at all:)

I've been using DeepSea for a few months now and I must say I find it very easy and intuitive to use for the basic essentials of map building.I couldn't imagine anything being easier,maybe as easy,I don't know.But there's certainly an awful lot of features which slowly but surely I'm learning and becoming aware of.The Hi-Res support is certainly where the future is.

I should have warned people that deep would be in here posting a reply. We currently have a war going on in the MGON forums, and I provided a link to this thread to show what a chunk of the community think of his attitude towards the editing community (if you ask me, in his perfect world everyone would use his editor and everyone would ask him about editing questions). I say that the basic interfaces of DEU, DETH, and DeePsea are the same, but he says that because he's added all this stuff that they're nothing alike and that comparing them is like comparing DeePsea to WadAuthor.
I'm sure anyone who's used all four editors can instantly see what's wrong with deep's opinion.
Some highlights of the thread:

deep: my editor does flags faster because of flag buttons on the info box (repeat * alot)
me: I object. DETH does it faster if, like me, you are quick on the keyboard
deep: oh so speed is an issue now, huh?

me: the basic interfaces are similar
deep: the basic interfaces are nothing alike because I've added stuff
me: here's an article comparing the interfaces between DEU, DETH, and DeePsea 10.20
deep: here's an article saying what's changed since then and me mentioning that I based the interface on DEU
me: so now that it's been established that the interface was based on DEU, why do you still insist on saying that the interfaces are nothing alike?
deep: because I've added stuff which I think makes things quicker

As you'd expect, I've culled out all the insults from both parties, but if the whole thread could be summarised, look at the link right up the top of this thread and then read those highlights.

Prediction: deep is going to reply telling me how wrong I am and how arrogant etc etc I am as a result and I know nothing at all about DeePsea (yet I know enough to compare the basic interfaces - watch deep say how the billions of things he's added means underneath it all you can't navigate it in a similar fashion)

Well, I've tried Deepsea and I can safely say that it's NOT better than sex ;-)
Btw, the thing went nuts on me after I tried to do a level so I wiped it off my hard drive.

Oh yeah, and if I may suggest something: Let the text in the beginning of the comic stay there for a while longer so that people have a chance to read it all at once - I had to view the comic THREE times before I managed to read it all.