Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Worst textures in Doom/Doom 2?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:26. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

I've been playing these games for two decades now and am finally seeing a few things here and there that I don't like about them. Most of the textures are perfectly fine, but I'd be hard pressed to find a use for that skull flat, the one that's just rows of brown skulls. They're much bigger than human skulls and look awkward! A lot of the rock textures also look awkward, kinda flat and dull.

Old Post 09-25-13 23:41 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Well I don't find an issue with the brown skulls being bigger than humans, it's supposed to be Hell thing going against logic after all.

Old Post 09-25-13 23:46 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

Feels to me more like they goofed up the proportions.

Old Post 09-25-13 23:47 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Anything with CRAT in the filename. You're not Tom Hall, stop it.

Whoever says FIREBLU, 'cause someone's gonna say it, you're wrong.

Old Post 09-25-13 23:50 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

I like fireblu. Gotta agree on that skull flat though, it's obviously a texture and the skulls are definitely oversized too. You can use that flat if you don't use it in a location where you can clearly compare it to your surroundings, like up high on a ceiling or something, but other than that I hate it as a flat.

Old Post 09-26-13 00:01 #
40oz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mechadon

FIREBLU is clearly the best texture in Doom. Everyone knows that!

I'm of the opinion that just about every one of the vanilla textures can be used well in some fashion. Some definitely have more niche uses than others. I don't really dislike any one texture or flat in general.

But if I was pressed to pick one, I'd go with ROCK1 (and its variants). For some reason, it sticks out against the rest of the other rocky textures. Wasn't it derived from a Wolfenstien texture? It feels like something that should be relegated to the secret maps. Of course now that I say that, I feel like I should try to use it more :P

Old Post 09-26-13 00:05 #
Mechadon is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

That red stripe on GRAYTALL is pretty bad, I think Nicolas Monti likes to use it.

Old Post 09-26-13 00:09 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

I'm not fond of green circuit boards. They look like lazy edits of some random hardware photos. Which they are, I suppose. Their scale is particularly unnatural.

COMP01 is the laziest flat ever.

Also, I never liked those "snake" textures. Other fleshy stuff is fine and Gigeresque, on the other hand.

Old Post 09-26-13 00:14 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Dem frikkin Nazi textures. :P

Old Post 09-26-13 00:50 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Da Werecat said:
Also, I never liked those "snake" textures. Other fleshy stuff is fine and Gigeresque, on the other hand.
I think they're supposed to be tenticles.

Old Post 09-26-13 01:07 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Memfis said:
That red stripe on GRAYTALL is pretty bad, I think Nicolas Monti likes to use it.

http://dkk.slickproductions.org/images/doom/graytall.png

Stripe's a nice way of breaking up the monotony of GRAYBIG, I don't use it often since I'm not a big fan of the GRAY textures to begin with. You're a horrible monster if you tile it vertically, though.

Old Post 09-26-13 01:10 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

I always thought the SNAKE textures were intestines myself. I like using them. :P

Old Post 09-26-13 01:14 #
Obsidian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Well they seem to have suction caps.

Old Post 09-26-13 01:15 #
Da Werecat

Ah, that moldy patch. You'd think that GRAYBIG and GRAYTALL shouldn't be tiled vertically, but quite a few mappers tend to think otherwise.

Old Post 09-26-13 01:37 #
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Really anything GRAY, though the Skull flat is equally awful.

Old Post 09-26-13 04:25 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Why do people try to apply real logic to a game anyway including with certain textures, the story generally makes out the fact that the demons bring their own hellish reality with them which I find is the explanation as to why certain textures intended for hell style or partial hell style maps were done a particular kind of way.

Old Post 09-26-13 04:56 #
Maes
I like big butts!

AASHITTY and AASTINKY are the worst. So bad, in fact, that they cause HOMs when used. The author of WOW.WAD didn't know that: he just wanted the infamous Illusio-pit to be textured with GRAYTALL, but he chose AASTINKY instead, because they look the same in editors. Fact.

Old Post 09-26-13 08:20 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SFoZ911

I never liked GRAYVINE texture, kinda ugly to me.

Old Post 09-26-13 08:51 #
SFoZ911 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
yakfak

Stuff like TEKWALL1 and BROWN144 where the patch repetition is glaringly obvious. also the boring STARG*s and BRICK6 coupled with SUPPORT3 because of 20 years of their overuse. >:3

Old Post 09-26-13 09:19 #
yakfak is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

I agree with ROCK1-3 and WOLF*

I also find ugly and I hate SKIN*, MODWALL2 and TANROCK8.

Old Post 09-26-13 09:50 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya

The wolfenstain textures are good , I don't understand what's wrong with them.
F_SKY1 is a really ugly texture as well as MFLR8_1 , these are some ugly pieces of crap.

Old Post 09-26-13 11:30 #
joe-ilya is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
durian

COMPSPAN, every time.

Old Post 09-26-13 12:00 #
durian is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
vdgg
MM2 maniac

Oh wow, I find COMPSPAN awesome, as in Invade 2...

Old Post 09-26-13 12:33 #
vdgg is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
CorSair
Forum Regular

I really don't find any of the textures worst. It's more like how you implement it. Or how it works in that environment.

But flats. Most of those lights and other notable thingies, like the computers. They are my nightmare. Why? Because you can't nudge them into any direction, and you gotta apply it directly on that 64x64 grid. Unless it's in UDMF.

Old Post 09-26-13 12:49 #
CorSair is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fernito

I think that, technically/objectively speaking, TEKWALLs are the 'worst' textures in Doom. Now, Doom wouldn't feel like Doom without them, and I use them a lot actually.

Old Post 09-26-13 13:01 #
Fernito is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

joe-ilya said:
The wolfenstain textures are good , I don't understand what's wrong with them.
F_SKY1 is a really ugly texture as well as MFLR8_1 , these are some ugly pieces of crap.

As of now all doom maps must be set indoors. Joe Ilya has spoken :P
I don't really have an issue with any flats/textures really, I think most if not all can look good if used correctly. Maybe not AASTINKY

Old Post 09-26-13 13:17 #
cannonball is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
traversd

CorSair said:
But flats. Most of those lights and other notable thingies, like the computers. They are my nightmare. Why? Because you can't nudge them into any direction, and you gotta apply it directly on that 64x64 grid. Unless it's in UDMF.

You can scroll flats to suit with Boom linedef actions.

PS.

Roses are red
Fire is blu
FIREBLU
WELOVU

Old Post 09-26-13 13:31 #
traversd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Fernito said:
I think that, technically/objectively speaking, TEKWALLs are the 'worst' textures in Doom.

There are some rather meticulously drawn parts.

I appears to me that the artist wasn't quite sure what he was doing. Patch sizes speak for themselves.

Old Post 09-26-13 13:48 #
RjY
anARCHy

CorSair said:

traversd said:
You can scroll flats to suit with Boom linedef actions.
http://i.imgur.com/zqN7dw1.gif

Old Post 09-26-13 23:56 #
RjY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I never knew one could scroll flats in UDMF, I feel like such an idiot now. :P

Old Post 09-27-13 00:10 #