Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Things in Doom we've accepted

I just love the random candelabras in techbases.

The demons brought fucking candelabras and put them in random corners of the bases thei were invading? Haha. Its so funny.

"Hey, maybe in that corner? Yeah, there. Ah, yes, really nice! Feels more like home now."

"*sigh...*"

"What's the matter, Belphrat?"

"I dunno, it just.. it still doesn't feel right somehow."

"Even after hanging all those bodies on hooks?"

"Yeah, I mean, that helped. And those weird eye things with the green symbols, I like them. It's just... "

"I know! Some candelabras! Just like they used to put up in the rituals!"

"OH, maybe! Let's try some... it's perfect! Oh, much better. Great idea."

"Great! Hey, you coming to trash the other moon base with us tonight?"

"Nah, I think I'm just going to hang around here. Walk in place for a couple of hours, maybe something exciting will come along, you know?"

"Sounds good! I'll catch you later."

General Rainbow Bacon said:

How about this? If the UAC can open a portal to Hell, then couldn't they open a portal to Heaven too, and just let the good forces send the demons back? Doomguy would be out of a job then, nevermind.

As Buddha said:

"It's easy to do what's wrong and harmful. It's hard to do what's right and beneficial".

Avoozl said:

Doom 2's story mentioned the architecture and everything subverting before Doom Guy's eyes, I think the purpose of them is to show some of the changes the demons presence has done to the base and making everything seem suspiciously different to Doom Guy's eyes.

That's an interesting factoid, gives the games a bit of a psychological element (Kind of like that idea that some of the stuff Ash sees in the Evil Dead movies is all in his head). So basically Hell is trying to drive Doomguy insane with satanic imagery.

darkreaver said:

I just love the random candelabras in techbases.

The demons brought fucking candelabras and put them in random corners of the bases thei were invading? Haha. Its so funny.

"Hey, maybe in that corner? Yeah, there. Ah, yes, really nice! Feels more like home now."

Why not? I mean considering the overall theme of Doom, it seems fitting.

You can, while carrying heavy weaponry, run over a small obstacle without tripping and falling. You'll either climb it or be stopped right in your track, but you won't lose balance.

You can also run along a 3-cm-wide ledge along a wall. Even run backward, and shoot various firearms, without losing balance.

Those DoomFacts are also true for most other games, even recent ones.

this is interesting, as i never have seen or felt anything that made me think "do i need to accept this in doom or doom 2". i just play games the way they are.

durian said:

(e.g., I still lean back in my chair when I see a rocket heading straight for me, and swerve to the side to avoid fireballs).

Same here.

The fact that running diagonally while facing the same direction is mysteriously faster than straight up running. I tried this in real life once.... never again....

The big doors are always ripped up, dirty and stuff- but still work perfectly fine... even if the area is not overflowing with the spawn of hell...they are still scratched up- xD

Goes for maps too I guess as there are no clean alternatives (bar for custom textures)

Maybe because the idea was to give the impression that there was previous battles before Doom Guy enters the bases.