Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
duh

Vanilla, IDE and demos

First step is to verify that the parameter list looks OK. If you can't see it in a terminal add this line to your batch file:

echo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 > ide-log.txt
my hunch is that there's some path/filename problems with the 8.3 filename limit in DOS but that's just a wild guess really.

edit: also since the batch file itself is run in Windows (I assume) you can probably use %* for "all parameters".

Quoting problem maybe? i.e. the first quotes around the demo filename are actually getting interpreted as the terminating quotes from the DOSBox -c command. Don't know if you can get IDE to use single-quotes around the demo filename, or whether using single-quotes around the -c dosbox command will work.

Otherwise you might be able to filter the quotes out of the parameter but that's going to start to get ugly. It might not be so bad if you can assume the demo filename is always the 8th parameter.

I don't even know if that's the problem, but it's all I can think of. It's been a while since I've used batch files for much of anything.

EDIT: other quickfix solution is to have dosbox always run a doom2.bat file that always records a demo, just make sure you copy the demo to a different filename after you exit Doom.

Actually looking at it more, I the problem might also/instead be that E:\jogos\ide\demos\SINGLE~1 doesn't exist in DOSBox, so Doom2 can't write files there.

Here's one solution:
Make a file d2record.bat or whatever in the same directory as doom2.exe that looks like this:

doom2.exe -record tempdemo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
note: IIRC with vanilla doom you DON'T add the lmp extension to recording demos?

Now make another batch file that is run by IDE (I'm assuming Doom 2 is in "E:\jogos\doom2", change the last line as you need.)
dosbox -conf system.conf -c "d2record.bat %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9" -c exit

set d=%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~0,2%
set d=%d: =_%
set t=%time:~0,2%%time:~3,2%%time:~6,2%
set t=%t: =0%

copy "E:\jogos\doom2\tempdemo.lmp" "E:\jogos\doom2\demos\demo_%d%_%t%.lmp"
This should hopefully always record a demo and then copy it to a filename with a date+timestamp.