Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

What's in your command line?

-file psxsound psxmusic ketchup.pk3 scp173.pk3 BDoom_M BDoom_W
As you can see I have quite the command line going on. I love having PSX Doom's music and sounds in, and the Brutal Doom weapons and monsters and of course more blood and gore. Makes Doom that much more better in my opinion.

glboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file zone300.wad -complevel 9 -warp 18 -skill 4 -record demo1

Waiting on me to record this one. Been somewhat busy with other projects lately...

For Ultimate Doom I have:
-file playstation.wad (PSX music for Ultimate Doom) Sbar15.wad (A custom stat bar based off of the grass flat from Doom 2)

For Doom 2 I have:
-file marathon.wad (music replacement) PSXSOUNDS.wad (Sounds from the playstation) Stbar15.wad
And occasionally TPBM.wad (If I feel like testing out my WIP megawad)

For bot episodes of Final Doom I have:
-file zmwr.pk3 zudmwr.pk3 (or otherwise "scallianos 667 shuffle", it randomizes weapons, items and enemies) Stbar15.wad

Or at least that is when I run ZDoom off of the edited shortcuts I have.

Usually something along the lines of -ff:\dump\diskname -i0 -ff:\dump\diskname.adf -i5

Most of my Dooming's done via a front-end launcher.

Other than the bare essentials (glboom-plus and any pwad names and the iwad if it isn't doom2, and a complevel if needed - i.e. not 2) one of the following:

* -shorttics
* -skill X -warp XX -complevel X -record DEMONAME

(Yeah, I find it annoying if I come across, e.g., a glide and it is more difficult than it should be just because of silly long tics. If I am going to the hassle of using a command line instead of just clicking on the pwad, I might as well include -shorttics too.)

I sometimes have a music wad preloaded. At the moment it is ICMUS.WAD - i.e. the music lumps from Icarus.wad.

Currently it's:

Prboom-plus -iwad doom.wad -skill 4 -fast -warp 2 6

Once I beat it (damn ammo... so little of it...) it will be:

Prboom-plus -iwad doom.wad -skill 4 -fast -warp 2 7

;)

Nothing because I only use GZDOOM. I have two modes for it: one for vanilla / Boom mapsets (Boom strict compatibility, autoaim, no jumping, crouching, mouselooking, etc) and one for GZDOOM stuff (Default compatibility, no autoaim, etc).

When playing plain old vanilla Doom, I generally just play Chocolate Doom with no attachments (I can't find any that work anyway). If I want it a little more modernized however, I often play GZDoom with Beautiful Doom and the Remastered music by KevinHEZ for Doom 1 and the darkhard music by Mr. Chris for Doom 2.

When playing map wads I usually don't have any attachments unless it's a re-imagining of familiar maps in which case I use a music wad or it's designed specifically for a certain mod (In most cases it's Brutal Doom).

Luke Dacote said:

When playing plain old vanilla Doom, I generally just play Chocolate Doom with no attachments

Why not just launch it in DosBox? That's what I do when I want to play it the old way. Actually that's what I'm gonna do to celebrate 20 years of DOOM in December.

Odamex has a feature that loads wads right from the console menu, so I just set it to my wad directories and can simply type:

wad doom2.wad av.wad av.deh

and it will load alien vendetta for me without having to quit out or run doom from a commandline or anything.

I do have some batch files with a demo recording template, just change the name of the wad directory and the lumpname of the demo and I'm good.

Touchdown said:

Why not just launch it in DosBox? That's what I do when I want to play it the old way. Actually that's what I'm gonna do to celebrate 20 years of DOOM in December.

I bought the Doom collection off Steam and for whatever reason DosBox just doesn't seem to work on my PC. I later bought Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and Blood and they all work fine with DosBox (aside from a bit of lag and a glitch here and there) so I'm not sure what's wrong. Wolfenstein 3D also doesn't work on DosBox (Really bad lag) so I have to use a source port for that game also. I've been told you can improve the performance by changing the config settings but nothing I try seems to work.

In ZDoom I always have in the autoload folder a WAD that makes blast radius infinitely tall, as in vanilla Doom.

Luke Dacote said:

I bought the Doom collection off Steam and for whatever reason DosBox just doesn't seem to work on my PC. I later bought Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and Blood and they all work fine with DosBox (aside from a bit of lag and a glitch here and there) so I'm not sure what's wrong. Wolfenstein 3D also doesn't work on DosBox (Really bad lag) so I have to use a source port for that game also. I've been told you can improve the performance by changing the config settings but nothing I try seems to work.

Interesting, I have no problems with games you've mentioned but I do also have issues with Wolf3D. It's like it runs at half the framerate.

Discovered just few days ago what in prboom+ (well, at least in 2.5.1.3, which I use by now) specifying a file extension is not required anymore. Amazing )

Hitherto said:

Discovered just few days ago what in prboom+ (well, at least in 2.5.1.3, which I use by now) specifying a file extension is not required anymore. Amazing )

That has been true since the vanilla days. Generally, you only need to specify a file extension if it isn't .wad.

Gez said:

That has been true since the vanilla days. Generally, you only need to specify a file extension if it isn't .wad.

Ah! Even DOS Boom?

Btw, vanilla had stupid double behavior about extensions: you always should add it to wad names, but not to lmp names. Specifying a <demoname.lmp> interpreters as <demoname.lmp.lmp>

Luke Dacote said:

Doom on Steam runs in an outdated version of DOSBox, and Ultimate Doom in particular has an awful default configuration. You could try copying stuff from the DOSBox games that do work's configurations into the Doom one, but I see no reason to do that over using Chocolate Doom. That's kind of the point of Chocolate, not having to deal with emulation.

Yeah DOSBox introduces a lot of inconveniences compared to just using a native port... and that's not even related vanilla-related inconveniences yet like DeHackEd or WAD merging or novert :p