Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > What's your first Doom memory/when did you first hear about Doom?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:59. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
invictius
Forum Regular

I was in grade 6 ('94) and one of the students asked the other if they'd played doom yet... I didn't even have a computer until '98. My neighbour got it on the SNES and I'd borrow it every day for months... afterwards went out and bought a PC for doom but was sold a 386 sx, returned it for a DX, ended up fitting a total of 16mb ram in it. Started playing pwads when I got a cyrix 133 with a cd-rom which meant lots and lots of shovelware... in 98/99 I downloaded all the levels from walnut creek on 28.8k dialup. Have played it on and off since then, and got really excited about it again after seeing 3d models in jdoom and all the possibilities with zdoom.

Old Post 11-22-13 15:08 #
invictius is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Inkie

My brother owned the 32X cart.

Eventually we got the complete collection featuring the doom 98 port.

Old Post 11-22-13 15:09 #
Inkie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
Let's try Caesium

link

Old Post 11-22-13 15:20 #
Grazza is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
reality 2.0

I was reading an article about the columbine massacre. Because I was younger and more naive I simply couldn't understand a game could lead someone to doing something like that. I had never played DOOM before so I decided to give it a try for the first time from the doom 95 shareware version. I began to love doom quickly after that.

Old Post 11-22-13 15:34 #
reality 2.0 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Job
Forum Legend

I heard about it when my older brother told me about the shareware. At the time, I was in 5th grade and AOL was just getting into the mainstream. My friend had a 14.4 kbit connection and an AOL account. It took us an eternity to download the Doom shareware for ourselves. All in, it took up a whopping three 3.5" floppy disks, which was a pretty big deal at the time.

But it was worth it. And it was awesome. There's just a certain mystique a child's memory paints over a game like that.

Damn, I'm old.

Old Post 11-22-13 15:43 #
Job is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

I don't really remember it, but when I was 3 years old, I used to sit on my father's knees while he was playing Doom, which is how I got into it.

Few years later, which I already remember, we've been frequently playing together coop on Doom2's stock maps. We couldn't save, so we always only went through the first 6, 7 or 8 maps at one go. Still it doesn't mean I knew the maps well, in fact there are areas in MAP05 and others which were unknown to me until many years later. We rather had quite a standardized path and way to play, even divided roles of who of us two clears which room, heh.

Of course I played single too. I remember spending hours in MAP30 with cheats on and teasing all the chaos there. All this in my quite an early childhood.

Doom 2 (v1.666) was actually my only Doom-related experience for a whole lot of time. I only discovered sourceports, PWADs and the community several years ago, I confess.

Old Post 11-22-13 15:44 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

1994 at my cousins house playing doom 2, that's where my story of wall cutting black chainsaw comes from

Old Post 11-22-13 17:05 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BaronOfStuff

Some time in early/mid 1994, going to a friend's place after school and playing the Shareware episode ("Come to my house after school because my dad's got this really cool game called Doom and you HAVE to see it!"). Being a pair of dumb kids at the time with no real FPS experience (I'd played Wolfenstein 3D a few times but that hardly helped), we tried playing on Nightmare! and got absolutely destroyed by Shotgun Guys and respawning enemies before trying again on UV, only to get horribly murdered again. We settled on HMP, and it took us around two hours just to get to E1M5.

Yes, we were utter shit at the game.

Old Post 11-22-13 17:07 #
BaronOfStuff is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bashe

The earliest thing I remember of Doom is watching my dad play it when we lived on base here in 1994. I only remember seeing the game a few times, but I do remember seeing the ending and being really freaked out by Daisy's head on a stick. That's one I'll remember forever.

Old Post 11-22-13 17:36 #
Bashe is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

1995, freshman year in HS, my friend Josh is raving about this game "Doom" and finds out I have a computer so he walks all the way across town to install it on my PC.

Old Post 11-22-13 18:27 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

I discovered it almost when it came out, late '93 or early '94. It was at a friend's house, 'cause I didn't have a computer. We used to play for hours, not only Doom, but also Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat, Commander Keen, Mario Bros., etc. He had tons of games, and even playing several times a week for like half a year, maybe a little more, I'm sure I didn't even played half of them. I don't remember a lot of details though, I was only 10 at the time, but I do remember it was a lot of fun. A lot. I miss the 90's.

Old Post 11-22-13 22:43 #
Zed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rook
Mini-Member

Back when my main gaming experiences were the shareware version of Monster Bash and the demo of C&C Red Alert an incomplete set of Doom II floppies were gathering dust in my house (they belonged to my brother - I've no idea what happened to the missing one). It sounded good to me, but it was a few years and many other games later when I finally briefly played the game at a friend's house - it was OK, but I got caught up in the likes of Half-Life and didn't really look back.

Realising that Doom and Doom II were huge gaps in my gaming knowledge I finally bought them as part of the 2003 re-release of the Collector's Edition. Again, Half-Life 2 dimmed my interest when it was released in 2004. I also only played Doom 3 for the first time this year - it's amazing how late to the party I generally am, on thinking about it!

Old Post 11-23-13 00:02 #
Rook is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

I can't quite tell but I think I remembered seeing my cousin in two eperate occasions playing Final Doom Plutonia in the Aztec map and Doom 64 in the Watch Your Step map which was at first being in the room with the BFG9000 past the entrance.

Old Post 11-23-13 08:44 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

My mum at one point cleaned her rich friend's house as a part time job. I got to use thier computer sometimes, as it tons of classic games on it, and one time Doom 2 was being played on it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but never got to really play it till the Playstation port.

Old Post 11-23-13 08:49 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

"a Cybermonster shooting a punk guy in green armor? Hell yeah this is the thing, the first doom should be good too, I should play that first"

Old Post 11-23-13 09:45 #
joe-ilya is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FireFish

the first time i ever could see doom, was through a door that was not as closed as the players thought it was.

i was maybe 5 or 6 when i could see it through that door, when family members where trying to hide the game from the young ones.

in the 90's doom was an extreme game, and in the 90's frame of mind it was asolutely not suited for kids. now it is almost a non violent game compared to modern things that are actually made for kids.

Old Post 11-23-13 11:54 #
FireFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Back during the war (1997), mum has not long been with my step dad, he had his own flat that we would visit and everytime we went round, he would be playing Doom (PSX) on his small, black box TV. He allowed me too have a go not long after my 4th birthday and I was hooked on it. Even when we moved house in 2001 (I lost Final Doom PSX around this time sadly) I would still play it even when we got the PS2. I completed it god knows how many times before I even found Club Doom, Marshes, mansion and the other one. I acquired the PC one around 2003/4 and I remember thinking that it was a downgraded version due to the sounds.

Old Post 11-23-13 12:07 #
Springy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Hahaha, yeah, I forgot that PSX Doom and PC Doom werent the same. I always thought PSX Doom was the actual Doom just stuck on playstation, up until the Doom 2 levels, then I noticed that things were different.

Always thought the sounds were the same across all versions though.

Old Post 11-23-13 12:26 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

My granddad had the PSX version, and used to let me have a go on it a lot of the time. Probably around 2000/2001. Didn't know about the PC version until about 8 years later.

Springy said:
Back during the war (1997)

DON'T. MENTION. ZE. VAR!!!

Old Post 11-23-13 12:29 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ASD

Somewhere in the late 90s (98?) while playing Bubsy on our Mega Drive, I heard my older brother playing Doom95 shareware at full volume in the other room and thought the sounds and music sounded ridiculous, particularly the zombie deaths. I didn't look what he played until he reached E1M3 where he fell into the toxic pit in the donut-room with godmode on and got stuck, disabled iddqd, died and quitted the game. The other day he was playing E1M5 and E1M7 where he made monsters infight and it looked really funny. After quitting, I asked the name of the game and he said ''Doom''. The end. I saw Dark Forces, ROTT and Heretic before Doom in the mid 90s.

Old Post 11-23-13 14:48 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EvilNed

I once followed my dad to work. He had to work but he put me and my brother infront of a computer and loaded up the Doom shareware. He did the steering and I did the shooting. I was probably 7 years old and he 9. I still remember the first time we ran into a pinky, and the panic that ensued.

Later we got a computer and the Doom shareware was very popular. It was on those demo CDs that would accompany magazines and everybody was playing it. I did most of my initial dooming on the Shareware version, as I imagine most people here did.

A friend of mine had Doom 2 for whatever reason, so I played that there. I thought Doom 2 was much more dark, cryptic and hellish (remember, I'd only played Knee Deep at this point). I went out and got it for myself. In fact, now that I think about it, Doom 2 was probably the very first game that I bought for myself, and not something my brother bought or parents bought. We're probably in 1995 or 1996 now. Doom 2 was already in bargain bins. For whatever reason, I couldn't find Doom 1 however.

Then when I was visiting my relatives in the states I bought the Ultimate Doom and played that a lot with my cousins. I loved Thy Flesh Consumed, it's still my favorite 9 level mapset (No Rest for the Living might take that spot soon, tho, playing through that right now).

I then bought both Heretic and Final Doom at bargain bins, for like 10 bucks each. This was somewhat later, but I loved the new levels. TNT is still my favorite of the two, however...

Old Post 11-23-13 15:13 #
EvilNed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
129thVisplane
Mini-Member

I probably started playing Doom at the age of 3, in late 1999 or early 2000. Can't remember my very first Dooming experience; earliest thing I remember is drawing a picture of a Spider Mastermind and explaining Doom to kids in kindergarten when I was 4.

Old Post 11-23-13 15:22 #
129thVisplane is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Crasger

I've only actually started to play it recently, when I heard of CutmanMike and his game based on Doom, which in turn got me Zandronum. Then I noticed all the Doom references. I wondered.

I got the game, played it. Got Doombuilder started to make a few maps.

Old Post 11-24-13 02:55 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

I heard schoolmates talking about it back in gradeschool before my family even got its first PC. They mentioned 'ripping out a guy's ribcage out.' It sounded amazing.

Of course, I now know that the ribcage bit was hyperbole. But given some of the death animations, and the warped perceptions of teen-agers, I can see how they'd come to that conclusion.

It wasn't until I finally convinced me to rent the SNES version some time later that I actually got to try it out for myself. Was not disappoint.

Old Post 11-24-13 03:09 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

Probably saw screenshots first in a gaming mag but back then I would have dismissed it as a rail shooter since I'd never seen a FPS before.

I think the first time I saw it proper was in a demo in department store. It was on the Jaguar and I played a bit of E1M4 (that maze). It went on my Xmas list.

Old Post 11-24-13 08:33 #
purist is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

I remember when I was at my friends house when he was installing some version of doom 1. The install featured animated spidermastermind and my friends mother was terrified and said he can't install it if it features creatures similar to that. He had to install it in secrecy when his mother wasn't at home. I'm so glad my parents weren't overprotective, I could play any game and watch any movie without nagging and limitations.

Old Post 11-24-13 09:04 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

Waffenak said:
I remember when I was at my friends house when he was installing some version of doom 1. The install featured animated spidermastermind
That was probably the Doom95 port, I remember it displaying the same exact thing.

Old Post 11-24-13 09:26 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MFG38

Back in 2007 (yes, I was a little late), I was at my friend's and he had a 5-level demo of Doom 2. A year later, I saw the game in its original big box at a flea market and purchased it for 2.00.

Old Post 11-24-13 09:56 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Back in 2000 my friend got final doom & doom 64 and gave me his old copy of Ultimate doom and doom 2, That night I was up till 3 in the morning fully exploring the first episode.

Old Post 11-24-13 17:15 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

My first memory of Doom was find Knee-Deep in the Dead on multiple floppy discs back in the day. I was hooked on Doom ever since!

Old Post 11-24-13 20:10 #
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote