Icon of Sin / Baphomet
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > What's your first Doom memory/when did you first hear about Doom?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
peach freak

MFG38 said:
Back in 2007 (yes, I was a little late), I was at my friend's and he had a 5-level demo of Doom 2. A year later, I saw the game in its original big box at a flea market and purchased it for 2.00.

Where did he get this 5-map Doom II demo? AFAIK a shareware product of Doom II was never released, unless it was something for like the Xbox 360...

Old Post 11-25-13 01:03 #
peach freak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StupidBunny
Forum Regular

My first experience with Doom was at the tender age of five, when my dad let me play Doom I with all the monsters turned off. As pointless as that seemed, I still had a great time exploring all the environments, especially all the tech ones in E1. However, the atmosphere got the better of me, especially in E3 with all the hanging corpses and blood and flesh walls, and even without the monsters the game gave me nightmares that basically made me afraid to even see the name of the game on my computer. (I was a very sensitive child, you see.)

Close to a decade later, I happened across an old CD with the shareware Doom on it. Intrigued by the possibility of distant memories resurrected, I started playing it, and was instantly hooked. By then our copies of full Doom and Doom II were long gone, so we had to get the commercial release with Doom 95. The rest is history.

tl;dr: Doom made me cry when I was in kindergarten but then I rediscovered it later and it was awesome

Old Post 11-25-13 02:44 #
StupidBunny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Netherstorm

Around 2007-ish I found out about Doom. It wasn't until mid-2009 when I got my hands on the xbl version and finally got to play Doom. From then on in mid-2010, I moved to the PC and started playing and making WADs for Doom II.

I'm a late Doomer yes, but i'm glad I found out about it since it's now my favorite first-person shooter of all time.

Old Post 11-25-13 03:16 #
Netherstorm is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. T

in 94-ish someone was playing it, and I was like "sweet, it has water" after seeing the blue carpet in E1M1. Cool story bro

Old Post 11-25-13 07:52 #
Mr. T is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

I do remember thinking it was water for the longest time. When I replayed it later and realized that it is, in fact, just carpet, I was sorely disappointed. D:

Old Post 11-25-13 08:13 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Does UD even have water? By memory I cant recall any, just nukage, blood and lava. I know Doom 2 has plenty.

Old Post 11-25-13 12:30 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StupidBunny
Forum Regular

I think most of the water, oddly enough, is in E3 where it seems like it shouldn't belong. E2 and E3 both have some I think. Cacodemon blood maybe? Also, I swear I remember as a wee kid watching one of the in-game demos with water in an E1-looking map, though that indeed could've been carpet. Who knows, that was 17 years ago and it's more an impression than a memory.

Old Post 11-25-13 12:38 #
StupidBunny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Professor Sir
Green Marine

I was surfing the web back in '04, when I came across a web site that was offering the shareware version of Doom for online play. At the age of 7, I had no idea that I was even supposed to kill things (Nor did I realize that's what I was doing when I figured out how to shoot). I was scared by a Demon, and died. Then I didn't touch the game for years until someone gave me the collectors edition that had all 3 classic doom games last year. I went straight to a source port, and even at the age of 16, got scared of a Demon and died. And I still get scared of Demons even though I've played through the game several times and know their exact positions.

Old Post 11-25-13 18:44 #
Professor Sir is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

Professor Sir said:
And I still get scared of Demons even though I've played through the game several times and know their exact positions.
Pinkyphobia?

I used to have it too. Whenever I crossed a corner and there was suddenly a demon or a spectre, I jumped. The shock from them was bigger than from any other monster. At least as far as I remember.

Old Post 11-25-13 19:28 #
scifista42 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

scifista42 said:
The shock from them was bigger than from any other monster.

I agree. They still make me jump from time to time.
That said, I've never jumped more because Doom than the time I was playing the PSX version of E1M1 in a speedrun style. While not necessary on a UV max run, I went up the lift, and ran into the hallway up above full belt, completely forgetting there's a Pain Elemental there. It scared the shit out of me.

Old Post 11-25-13 19:32 #
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StupidBunny
Forum Regular

Same for me. I remember when I was still new to Doom, I always dreaded that maze in E1M4. I'm pretty sure I once blew up a rocket in my own face out of panic when I ran into one around a corner.

The first time I saw the Barons of Hell was pretty scary, too. I think I ran all the way back to that room at the beginning of the level to collect myself, before going to find out how badass they actually were. It's an exciting feeling, seeing the monsters for the first time, one which I unfortunately was able to spoil with the other bosses by having looked them up online before reaching their levels.

Old Post 11-25-13 20:04 #
MFG38

peach freak said:

Where did he get this 5-map Doom II demo? AFAIK a shareware product of Doom II was never released, unless it was something for like the Xbox 360...

My memory might serve me wrong, though. But I'm pretty sure it was at least some sort of demo.

Old Post 11-26-13 15:02 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

You're not the first one to remember a shareware/demo version of Doom 2, but no one's actually ever turned one up. (And speaking of XBLA, shows how times change, you only get E1M1 as a demo for Ultimate Doom. At least you get both MAP01's in Doom 2.)

I know I downloaded a "shareware" version around 2000 that was actually the full game. Some random abandonware site, they offered the real Doom95 shareware, Doom 2 DOS "shareware", and DoomEd for an editor.

Old Post 11-26-13 17:07 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Seeker_of_Truth

I knew of Doom for quite a while. My dad had Wolf3d and at some point picked up Doom as well, early 1995 most likely. I remember watching him play through it (and Wolf3d too) and was scared stiff all the time.

The earliest memory (I think) I have of playing the game myself is fighting the two Baron of Hell's in e1m8. Took me a while to gather up the courage to play through that level. One of my most common early memories, though, is trying to figure out how to beat map30. I would keep killing wave after wave of demons, but it wasn't until quite some time later that I managed to figure it out. This was all circa late 1995-1997.

Old Post 11-26-13 18:10 #
Seeker_of_Truth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joe667

I first came across Doom when I was like, four years old. My Dad came in holding the case (Doom Collector's Edition) and asked me what it spelt. I said "Ooom".

I have to many mixed-up memories of me and my sisters watching my Dad play that it's impossible to list them all... but I can say that I thought the cross at the start of map09 was a slope that was really slippery, because I couldn't stay on it (it was probably down to my bad five year-old playing}.

Last edited by Joe667 on 11-30-13 at 16:51

Old Post 11-27-13 07:33 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Luke Dacote
Mini-Member

It was my first GBA game along with Mario Kart.

Old Post 11-27-13 11:55 #
Luke Dacote is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominator2
Forum Regular

peach freak said:

It cant be the doom 2 demo for xbox 360 is only one level

Old Post 11-28-13 03:24 #
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

The very first time I encountered Doom was due to its review in a prominent Polish gaming magazine of the times. The review was 1 page long and featured on the back cover of the issue. It was February 1994. Not so long ago I managed to find a PDF scan of the magazine. Here's the picture of the review:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6204/73wj.jpg

You can see three figures of "100%" in the lower right corner. These were marks for graphics, sound and gameplay respectively. Additionally, if a game was particularly good, the reviewer could give a bonus "super" mark for a given category and Doom received "super" in all three, as you can see (diagonal, yellow writing).

Back then, I had only played Wolfenstein 3D as far as FPS games were concerned, so despite Doom's great notes I didn't take interest in it. Without actually seeing the game it was hard for me to understand the technological leap that took place. I went on shooting nazis, but then I met a friend in school who owned Doom and told me about it. I remember two things particularly: he told me about multiple crushing vertical walls in one of the maps (he was referring to E2M2), which got me interested because Wolfenstein 3D had no such elements, and about the death sequence. He told me that once you got killed the camera would "fall to the ground" and look as if your hero really died in that position. Compared to Wolfenstein 3D I considered it the epitome of realism, that's why I remembered it so well (in Wolfenstein 3D, you would just get a freeze frame showing your killer and the screen would go completely red).

Old Post 11-28-13 07:37 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Those old reviews and game commercials in magazines are fun to read, even after decades. You can sense the excitement of the reporter. I don't speak polish so I couldn't read it but I was speaken in general manner concerning game reviews back in the old days.

Old Post 11-29-13 02:19 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimothy

I'm going to throw out the shamebait here - I actually first saw it on an episode of Family Guy, during a special intro satirizing the Simpsons.

I was curious as to -what- it was, and I looked it up. Some time later, here I am, wrecking things with the Brutal Doom v19 mod and jamming out to the loudest music I can. Several years takes you a good ways.

Old Post 11-29-13 02:44 #
Jimothy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

Waffenak said:
Those old reviews and game commercials in magazines are fun to read, even after decades. You can sense the excitement of the reporter. I don't speak polish so I couldn't read it but I was speaken in general manner concerning game reviews back in the old days.

I love them as well. Currently I'm trying to find all info about Doom in Polish magazines: reviews, walkthroughs, custom WAD contests, etc.

If any of you can upload scans of good quality from magazines written in English I would be more than happy to read them. I wonder what the foreign reviews of the time were saying.

Jimothy said:
I'm going to throw out the shamebait here - I actually first saw it on an episode of Family Guy, during a special intro satirizing the Simpsons.

You should be ashamed indeed... because the intro satirizes the "Naked Gun" series, not the Simpsons (even though Homer does appear at the end) ;)

Old Post 11-29-13 07:45 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FirebrandX

I saw a friend playing it while at his work place in spring of 1994. I personally didn't get into the series until December of 1995 when I got it for the Playstation. As such, I was completely put off by the music of the PC version when I finally did play it. It seemed so "wrong" to have midi-rock playing in such a dire setting.

Old Post 11-29-13 18:45 #
FirebrandX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ASD

Dragonsbrethren said:
I know I downloaded a "shareware" version around 2000 that was actually the full game. Some random abandonware site, they offered the real Doom95 shareware, Doom 2 DOS "shareware", and DoomEd for an editor.

I found this site in 2005 where it claims Doom2 to be shareware too, oddly. Maybe this was copied from that site.

Old Post 11-29-13 22:13 #
ASD is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
drifter20k
Green Marine

In the fall of 1994 I was in 9th grade in Highschool and 14 years old. The school had just received a bunch of new computers, one of which ended up in the library. I would go to the library at lunch sometimes to get homework over with so I could play shitty games after school.

I began to notice the same 4 guys in grades above me huddled around the computer everyday, always hogging and taking turns playing some game with only the keyboard. I watched them play it for a few days until I asked one of them what it was and he said, "Doom."

What a name for a game, I waited late one day to use the computer and had no idea how to navigate it and was completely overwelmed. Bought the shareware and could not use it until my father replaced DR-DOS with MS-DOS 6.22 on our 486-SX25 with Soundblaster 16 ct2230.

I played Doom every morning before school and after school for months. My grades plummeted but Doom always came first since then.

Old Post 11-30-13 10:17 #
drifter20k is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FirebrandX

drifter20k said:
My grades plummeted but Doom always came first since then.

Lol!

Old Post 11-30-13 16:24 #
FirebrandX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enzo03
Mini-Member

There was this shareware games CD I had in the early 2000s. It had several of games which would later become my favorites, including Descent 1 and 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Wacky Racers, and others.

Doom was certainly not a game I would be allowed to have played by this time, because my mother was very strict against the notion of me playing a game where I am a person shooting guns, not to mention games with satanic imagery everywhere.

Actually she still is, but she trusts me to be smart enough to discern virtual from reality.

Not that I hadn't been playing other games before then; I had been playing DOS games since I was around 4 (1996), but never played or heard of Doom until then.

Heck, I played both Quake and Half Life far before I even touched Doom.

Old Post 12-05-13 18:05 #
Enzo03 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ACrispyHobo

All I remember of Doom from my childhood was being scared as hell the entire time & only getting about half way through the first episode... I had it for the 3DO &, as a kid, you tend to ignore how poorly a game may play & just play it. Eventually, we either A) lost it, or B) sold it; I then went back to playing Wolfenstein on the 3DO. As fun & not scary as that game was, I don't think I got very far in it either. Ah, the good old 3DO...

Old Post 12-06-13 06:22 #
ACrispyHobo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
JudgeDeadd
Mini-Member

Patrol1985 said:

I love them as well. Currently I'm trying to find all info about Doom in Polish magazines: reviews, walkthroughs, custom WAD contests, etc.

Hehe, a couple years back I went and translated a bunch of Polish Doom reviews for a guy who was writing a book about Doom. I still have these on a disk somewhere, though I'm not sure if I haven't deleted the scans.

What's your first Doom memory/when did you first hear about Doom?

Watching my uncle play Heretic on a black-and-white monitor, back in 1996 I think--I was 5 years old back then. (All video games look several times more magical when you're a kindergartener; sometimes I wish I could see them through my kiddie self's eyes again.) Some time later my dad got Doom 2 for the first time. I was intrigued and tried it out; I made it through most of "Entryway"... but when I got to the imp cage, I was transfixed with fear. Aah, there's a toothy thing on my screen, and it's attacking me, and I cannot do anything! Later that day I told my Dad that I'd never be playing this scary game again.

Old Post 12-06-13 22:30 #
JudgeDeadd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Diamhea
Warming Up

Whenever it came out on SNES, that was when I first played it. I was probably 8 or so. It didn't scare me though, mainly because the SNES port is one giant pixel. But the music sounds freakin' badass on that console, gotta love the SNES "overdrive guitar" sound.

Old Post 12-07-13 01:25 #
Diamhea is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pirx
Forum Regular

i posted this here on doom's 15th anniversary:

i saw doom in early 1994 for the first time, on a friend's brand new 486. i was blown away, as the game was exactly how i imagined an improved wolf3d. i think the 3rd demo was on mt. erebus, i liked the hellish style best, and the bunch of enemies on that map looked like a never ending horde for me then (luckily, hell revealed was still a few years away ;) )

my first deathmatch ever was on e3m2. i and 2 others loaded a random map as we didn't know them anyway. playing as indigo, i found the rocket launcher in a recess and chose to camp here until green got in too, i fired and we both died. not a brilliant start...

perhaps i should have spent less time playing doom, but i grew fond of this game like of no other.

to be precise, i was playing spear of destiny in 1993 when some guy told me that the company that made this game was working on an even better one. i imagined it could have "graphics everywhere" as i called it (well, textured ceilings and floors instead of wolf3d's plain dark ones) and moar gunz, so it would be better.

but when i saw it in january or february 1994 on that murderous pc it exceeded all my expectations. what a difference, when people today say "these graphics suck!" but for me they looked real then. did we have more imagination when we saw actual things in these graphics?

i walked around e1m1: holy shit, it had a pool of water, barrels that exploded, and perhaps i could even get outside that building! romero was indeed a great level designer.

i had beaten wolf3d, i just had this tactic of peeking inside a room, retreating and gunning down the soldiers who followed me. this didn't quite work while standing in the acid, while the 2 imps were throwing fireballs at me.

iirc one of the most difficult fights was on e1m5 at the yellow door, those demons and the imps coming out of their closets trapped me every time... annoying when you don't run, strafe, or find a rocket launcher.

the cyberdemon of course was sheer terror, one hit and i'm splattered! i posted somewhere else how i retreated as far as possible firing plasma (and not seeing his rockets) and hiding behind the pillars. his introduction worked exactly as planned: i knew how difficult the barons had been, now there were some baron corpses hanging from a wall, who the hell can do that?

the spiderboss was pretty much the opposite of this. but the hellish style of ep. 3 impressed me the most. it was what i considered doom to be about : one marine fights hell. it had that cool satanic imagery, pentagrams, inverted crosses, skull piles, blood pools etc. still the best depiction of hell in a game, imo. the weirdest was the "souls wall" with animated faces on e3m3. it's a pity that most developers are going for realism today and there's little interest for this sci-fi setting.

Old Post 12-07-13 04:45 #
Pirx is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote