Archvile
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > What's your first Doom memory/when did you first hear about Doom?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:12. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joe667

Pirx said:
...The weirdest was the "souls wall" with animated faces on E3M3. it's a pity that most developers are going for realism today and there's little interest for this sci-fi setting.

By the "souls wall" do you mean that awesome "trapped-souls'-faces-as-I-like-to-call-them" wall? In other words...

SP_FACE1?

I love that texture! I can't decide whether it looks better as a still, normal wall texture, its classic scrolling appearance or its warping appearance with ZDoom texture warping. :)

Old Post 12-07-13 19:26 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mallo
Warming Up

Hmm, my first memory is probably my dad playing Alien Vendetta and not letting me watch, because "I'll get nightmares" and it was about 10pm...

Old Post 12-07-13 22:23 #
mallo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

JudgeDeadd said:

Hehe, a couple years back I went and translated a bunch of Polish Doom reviews for a guy who was writing a book about Doom. I still have these on a disk somewhere, though I'm not sure if I haven't deleted the scans.

Nice! Why would this guy need Polish articles of them all? Also, do you happen to be Polish? I'm asking because Polish is a very hard language to learn. Where did you learn it, assuming it's not your mother tongue?

Speaking of old reviews etc. when I clicked "Doom" in my Steam library today, it showed a piece of news referencing an old article from PC Gamer. It was dated May 1994 and it was the first issue of PC Gamer in the USA:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/02/m...doom-obsession/

Inside you will find links to full-sized scans.

Old Post 12-08-13 16:22 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
JudgeDeadd
Mini-Member

Patrol1985 said:

Nice! Why would this guy need Polish articles of them all? Also, do you happen to be Polish? I'm asking because Polish is a very hard language to learn. Where did you learn it, assuming it's not your mother tongue?

It is my mother tongue, teehee :P

As for why he needed them... well, I truly cannot remember it, but I think he posted a request for old Doom-related materials on some forum, I made an offer to translate some Polish articles, and he accepted. The completed book didn't make any use of them though.

Old Post 12-08-13 16:41 #
JudgeDeadd is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

JudgeDeadd said:

It is my mother tongue, teehee :P

The world is small indeed :P

Old Post 12-08-13 16:45 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote