Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Doom 3d engine ?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Demonicus666
Green Marine

Hey doomers what doom engines run doom in 3d? To take advantage of today's pcs ?

Old Post 12-02-13 05:51 #
Demonicus666 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
doomguy93
Forum Regular

I think GZDoom runs Doom in 3d. There are some mods that you can find on the internet that have 3d sprites/texture packs.

Old Post 12-02-13 06:26 #
doomguy93 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
StupidBunny
Forum Regular

Doom 3

Old Post 12-02-13 07:12 #
StupidBunny is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

Risen 3D has a possibility to add 3D models in place of sprites. To be honest though, I think I prefer sprites.

Take a look yourself and decide what's better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbx3bAQFG8

Old Post 12-02-13 07:18 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

I've always wanted to see Doom rebuilt using the Quake engine.

Old Post 12-02-13 11:41 #
Technician is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

There was at least one attempt. Apart from a nicely scripted intro cutscene, it's rather... unpolished.

Old Post 12-02-13 12:16 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Any OpenGL (or Direct3D) port will use a true 3D rendering thing.

This doesn't mean that it won't still use sprites! And it also doesn't mean that the physics won't still be 2.5D!

Vavoom is probably the port that pushed the 3D angle the farthest, being so highly derived from the Quake engine as it is.

Old Post 12-02-13 12:40 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl

I would want to see it in the ID Tech 3 engine.

Old Post 12-02-13 13:02 #
Avoozl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I don't know if it actually renders the whole game in 3D, but JDoom can support .md2 models in place of other graphics.

Old Post 12-02-13 14:29 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

Source ports like Jdoom, Risen and GzDoom render the game in what I call "sort of true 3D." That is, the perspective is along all three axes, and there is 3D model support, but the maps are still 2.5D. Tricks can be implemented to allow for slopes and room-over-room effects, but you're still using an XY grid to build everything. I think Vavoom is the only engine that lets you construct true 3D geometry.

Old Post 12-02-13 15:01 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

GoatLord said:
I think Vavoom is the only engine that lets you construct true 3D geometry.

Doomwiki.org lists "3D floors, 3D middle textures, slopes and colored lighting." among ZDoom's features. Since GZDoom is a derivative of ZDoom I assume it has those features as well.

Old Post 12-02-13 18:30 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

What engine should I download to make use of my 3D glasses?

Old Post 12-02-13 19:06 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord

I remember reading about a 3D glasses version of Doom years and years ago...

Old Post 12-02-13 19:38 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

I think this works with red/blue glasses too.

Old Post 12-02-13 19:48 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

By the way.

Demonicus666 said:
Hey doomers what doom engines run doom in 3d? To take advantage of today's pcs ?

3D can mean several different things.

1. Support for true 3D geometry, like in Quake.
2. 3D floors and other tricks that can somewhat compensate for the lack of true 3D geometry.
3. 3D models. Even Wolf3D-like engines can be taught to show them.
4. OpenGL, etc.
5. I dunno, 3D goggles support?

It would be nice to elaborate.

Last edited by Da Werecat on 12-02-13 at 20:11

Old Post 12-02-13 19:59 #
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

Yeah, really. Vanilla Doom is 3D as far as I'm concerned.

Old Post 12-02-13 20:25 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hawkwind
Forum Regular

GoatLord said:
Source port Risen render the game in what I call "sort of true 3D." That is, the perspective is along all three axes, and there is 3D model support, but the maps are still 2.5D.

Sitters/Abbs maps for Risen3D are true 3D.

Old Post 12-02-13 23:45 #
hawkwind is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Risen3D supports true 3D maps? Or is it another case of using 3D floors/portals/whatever?

Old Post 12-02-13 23:54 #
DaniJ

Krispy said:
What engine should I download to make use of my 3D glasses?
The latest version of Doomsday (unstable) supports various stereoscopic 3D modes, including anaglyph and the Oculus Rift.

Old Post 12-03-13 00:10 #
DaniJ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

Da Werecat said:
Risen3D supports true 3D maps? Or is it another case of using 3D floors/portals/whatever?

I thought these meant essentially the same thing. What is the difference between true 3D geometry and the things you've listed?

Old Post 12-03-13 06:01 #
Da Werecat

Technical stuff. But it means a lot if you're a mapper.

Old Post 12-03-13 10:25 #
Patrol1985

In that case, is there any Doom port which supports TRUE 3D geometry, without any tricks?

Old Post 12-03-13 10:54 #
Avoozl

I doubt it.

Old Post 12-03-13 11:03 #
Avoozl is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Patrol1985 said:
In that case, is there any Doom port which supports TRUE 3D geometry, without any tricks?

Why bother? That'd mean you'd need to use a completely different map format. And by completely different, I don't mean something like "Hexen format instead of Doom format" or "UDMF" -- I mean something which has no concept of sectors at all, and instead uses brushes like Quake and Unreal, or meshes like the Bethesda games.

That also means that the engine in question would need to perform some on-the-fly conversion of Doom maps to whatever it uses natively. (Brushes are easier to imagine for that.) And then you run into all sorts of hassles because things like sector movements in Doom would correspond to brush transformations rather than movement. (E.g., a lift doesn't move up: it gets taller.) And then there's the rendering hacks for effects like deep water and invisible floors -- entirely tied to sectors.

Simply put, a TRUE 3D geometry without tricks? That's not a Doom port anymore. If you're fine with something that isn't a Doom port, then you can look at Garry's Mod.

Old Post 12-03-13 11:55 #
GoatLord

Patrol1985 said:

I thought these meant essentially the same thing. What is the difference between true 3D geometry and the things you've listed?

True 3D Geometry involves no trickery whatsoever, while Doom is a fundamentally 2D game that can, with Open GL fanciness, come very close to approximating the real deal.

Old Post 12-03-13 13:35 #