Doom Marine
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Drawing Doom maps, start to finish
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:17. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

This is interesting, but also a bit predictable: maps are designed from start to exit.

Old Post 12-16-13 20:26 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
ClonedPickle

printz said:
This is interesting, but also a bit predictable: maps are designed from start to exit.

the thread title said:
Drawing Doom maps, start to finish

gasp

Old Post 12-16-13 22:24 #
ClonedPickle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren

printz said:

Not all of them.

Old Post 12-16-13 22:54 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

After watching these gifs, I am now of the opinion that most maps seem to be built with a series of lines. Always learning

Old Post 12-16-13 22:56 #
Ralphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant

Updated dmvis Omgifol to use unsigned numbers wherever possible/necessary to have "true" limit removing map support (hi Mek, try it now :V)

Also, maps don't need to adhere to the ExMx or MAPxx naming conventions anymore.

Old Post 12-17-13 03:10 #
Revenant is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Nice! Thanks for updating that. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see what happens :D

Old Post 12-17-13 03:25 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Linguica

You should add an option to enforce a maximum time limit and/or combine an arbitrary number of steps into one frame, so people can make GIFs that don't necessarily have hundreds or thousands of frames.

Old Post 12-17-13 06:46 #
Linguica is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant

There's already the --draw-shapes option, which will draw an entire closed shape (usually a sector) in a single frame, though the effect that has on the frame count obviously varies from one map to another. I might also add an option to generate an exact number of frames to make it more predictable.

Old Post 12-17-13 18:20 #
Revenant is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Mechadon

Vela Pax - MAP01

It works! It takes a few minutes to run completely through, for those interested in watching it.

I decided to try out the draw-shapes option this time, and it was a wise decision. It still took quite a few hours to render, but the file size is much smaller now (~2.3mb) and the drawing is much faster. I'm pretty sure if I rendered it out in line mode again, it would take an order of magnitude longer to watch.

As the person who made the map, I find it incredibly interesting to watch this; I can't say others will find it nearly as interesting as I do :P. But the order in which the things are drawn is pretty close to reality. It is a bit disjointed in some places though, and I imagine that is, in part, due to a massive optimization sweep I did recently. For instance, some parts of the exit are drawn very early, but that area was one of the last areas I did (and in fact I redid it during my optimization sweep). So my guess is that all of the lines that I cut out during optimization were push up into the new exit area.

Anyways, this is a supremely cool tool and I will definitely render out some of my other maps!

Old Post 12-18-13 08:05 #
Mechadon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Revenant

https://github.com/devinacker/dmvis...ter/maps/doom64

Fortune favors the bored. Thanks to Kaiser for the technical info, of course.

Old Post 12-22-13 23:02 #