Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Logical explanation for the HOMs

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:33. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Crasger

I've just had a stupid idea.

I've always wondered if there was a logical explanation for the HOM glitch.

Old Post 12-20-13 00:56 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Dragonsbrethren
Forum Staple

When the game renders the level to the screen, it draws it into a buffer, an area of memory. During gameplay, the previous contents of the buffer are overwritten by consecutive frames. However, if a player travels outside the level, there are no walls to draw, so Doom draws nothing. Instead, the previous contents of the buffer are displayed, left over from previous frames.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hall_of_Mirrors_effect

Old Post 12-20-13 01:04 #
Dragonsbrethren is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
schwerpunk

I wonder... is there a way to make a HOM that doesn't also tile weapon sprites, so you'd just see the walls next to the blank sidedef repeated? Probably not easily, come to think of it.

But it is a pretty neat effect. I'm surprised more games don't make use of something like it. Reminds me 60-70's cinema, man. 8^D

Old Post 12-20-13 02:21 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
GreyGhost
I have a custom title now!

schwerpunk said:
I wonder... is there a way to make a HOM that doesn't also tile weapon sprites, so you'd just see the walls next to the blank sidedef repeated? Probably not easily, come to think of it.
Try using a pwad with transparent weapon sprites, there's also the r_drawplayersprites CVAR for ZDoom which I use when taking screenshots.

Old Post 12-20-13 02:42 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
amputechture32
Green Marine

Crasger said:
I've just had a stupid idea.

I've always wondered if there was a logical explanation for the HOM glitch.

Do you mean from a technical point of view or a story point of view? :p

If the latter, I guess it could be given the standard "malign influence of Hell" explanation. :p

Old Post 12-20-13 05:48 #
amputechture32 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Antroid

It's a place that can't be grasped by a human mind, can't be comprehended or interpreted, hence the brain does the only thing left and just fills the space with things that were there previously since there's no new information coming in. Elementary.

Old Post 12-20-13 06:23 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

If you took a photo of it it would probably still look the same, it's the pc which is causing it not the mind.

Old Post 12-20-13 06:42 #
Avoozl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Antroid

Naw, it's definitely the mind. The PC? Don't be ridiculous!

Old Post 12-20-13 08:04 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Crasger

I think I didn't make it clear enough. I mean try to come up with a convoluted plot and story about HOMs and try to make it as realistic (or as funny) as possible.

Old Post 12-20-13 08:34 #
Crasger is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

Crasger said:
I think I didn't make it clear enough. I mean try to come up with a convoluted plot and story about HOMs and try to make it as realistic (or as funny) as possible.

No HOMo

Old Post 12-20-13 08:42 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

Story explanation is the same as the technical one. Hell is clearly a simulation to test Doomy McGuy's mental acuity and resilience in a battle of bizarre and unexpected circumstances. Ergo, HOM is a glitch in the Matrix. Ergo, HOM is a glitch in the Matrix.

Old Post 12-20-13 11:41 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Crasger said:

It's fairly standard iIllusio-pit technology. The UAC has mastered the process for decades. Why, they even use it to trap cyberdemons!

Old Post 12-20-13 11:45 #
Gez is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

Gez said:

they even use it to trap cyberdemons!

Genius!!!!!
WOW.wad

Old Post 12-20-13 11:49 #
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Crasger

Ah yes, WOW.wad

Old Post 12-20-13 16:10 #
buttspit

It's a special environment that induces scintillating scotomas. You know, those lovely and panic-inducing visual disturbances that can precede an excruciating migraine.

Old Post 12-20-13 17:41 #
buttspit is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

If you stare into a HOM for too long, the radio will cracker and tell you that you're the demons. And then you will be a zombie.

Old Post 12-20-13 21:08 #
Maes is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jimi

They're the demon funhouse mirrors.

Old Post 12-20-13 21:26 #
Jimi is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Krispy

They're glitches in Doomguy's visor HUD.

Old Post 12-20-13 22:17 #
Krispy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
joe-ilya
Nescient Member

You suck at mapping, don't wonder.

Old Post 12-21-13 09:38 #