Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods > Bob Evans and the Odessa series
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:14. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Zed
Forum Regular

Maybe he could just post a directory listing as GreyGhost said, and upload just the missing archives to idgames.

Old Post 01-30-14 19:54 #
Zed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

It would be nice to see the full set just for posterity, and it's also possible that maybe some of the WADs are older/newer versions of what's in idgames?

Old Post 01-30-14 19:56 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

Zed said:
Maybe he could just post a directory listing as GreyGhost said, and upload just the missing archives to idgames.

I don't see why he needs to "just" do anything instead of posting the full ISO when the weather/arrangements permit it. Awkward half-measures are awkward.

A torrent is definitely the winning approach for Bob-at-home, though.

Old Post 01-31-14 00:02 #
Xaser is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Would a few dozen hopefuls hammering the sole torrent source (and a slow connection at that) get the .iso out any faster? Somehow I doubt it.

Old Post 01-31-14 03:56 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bob Evans
Green Marine

For anyone interested the balance of the Odessa levels made it into the archives.
ODESSA_1.ZIP, ODESSA_2.ZIP, ODESSA_3.ZIP, ODESSA_6.ZIP, ODESSA_7.ZIP,
ODESSA_9.ZIP, ODESSA11.ZIP, ODESSA_12.ZIP and ODESS_13.ZIP along with their respective Text file.
Please keep in mind these are antiques. :)
The CIS CD matter is still in progress. No word yet on using a local server to upload. Maybe mid week?
For everyone's information I plan on uploading the CD to:
https://archive.org/details/doom-cds

Old Post 02-01-14 20:23 #
Bob Evans is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

That's awesome. I just played some of the levels and they're still fun - though I didn't finish all of them. I think it's going to take me a while to figure out some of these puzzles :)

It's really great to see these in the idgames archive at last. Thanks!

Old Post 02-01-14 23:50 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rampage470
Mini-Member

I might be doing something wrong, but on idgames whenever I type in 'odessa', all I get is #14.

Old Post 02-02-14 01:26 #
Rampage470 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Ah, so 4 5 8 and 10 were thrown out or went to Eternal.

I'll be sure to paly through these when I have time (and when my computer's GPU fan is repaired)

Old Post 02-02-14 01:49 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Rampage470 said:
I might be doing something wrong, but on idgames whenever I type in 'odessa', all I get is #14.

Try looking here - ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/newstuff/ It will be a few days before they appear on doomworld.com/idgames.

Old Post 02-02-14 01:50 #
Memfis is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

Rampage470 said:

http://doomworld.com/idgames/ is not the idgames archive - it is only a pretty frontend to the archive. The Doomworld frontend automatically checks the archive for new submissions: once a week, I think. So there's a delay. It's in the archive, just not listed on Doomworld yet.

The easiest way to find the Odessa levels is to look in the /newstuff directory in the archive: it lists all the files that have recently been submitted (also the origin of the name of "the newstuff chronicles").

Old Post 02-02-14 02:36 #
Bob Evans
Green Marine

Ragnor said:
Ah, so 4 5 8 and 10 were thrown out or went to Eternal.

I'll be sure to paly through these when I have time (and when my computer's GPU fan is repaired)

All those were abandoned years ago except 1 level that went to Eternal and became Silures.

Old Post 02-02-14 14:36 #
Bob Evans is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

We've been waiting for this day for a long time. I'm definitely looking forward to the CD, I hope you'll have luck with that.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT:

Rampage470 said:
This really needs to be front page news or something. Seriously, this is the Doom equivalent of finding the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, and D. B. Cooper living together.

Gez said:

Once it's available, definitely.

I think it's time.

Last edited by Zed on 02-02-14 at 21:43

Old Post 02-02-14 20:49 #
Zed is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

Bob Evans said:

All those were abandoned years ago except 1 level that went to Eternal and became Silures.

Do you think you'll ever finish them off and make LORDDOOM.wad happen? :p

Old Post 02-02-14 22:24 #
Ragnor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Zed said:
I think it's time.

Link or it didn't happen yet.

Old Post 02-02-14 22:58 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rampage470
Mini-Member

Gez said:

Link or it didn't happen yet.

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/games/idgames/newstuff/

Ctrl+f for 'odessa'. Bingo.

Old Post 02-02-14 23:11 #
Rampage470 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

I think he's talking about the CD, but yeah, I was thinking about the Odessa wads.

Old Post 02-02-14 23:13 #
valkiriforce
Forum Regular

Loving this whole thread so far. :)

Old Post 02-03-14 08:54 #
valkiriforce is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nemark
Mini-Member

Still no sign of this ISO? Is there anyway it could be uploaded onto some temporary storage site like Mediafire or something just so it gets out into the wild in the hands of some people while we wait for the more permanent upload to come about?

Old Post 02-16-14 14:13 #
Nemark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

I too have been spying on this thread for quite some time.

Old Post 02-16-14 16:10 #
40oz is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

In fact, it's been two weeks without any sign from Bob Evans. I'm beginning to think the Compuserve ISO will never make it to the Internet.

Old Post 02-16-14 17:13 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

And while we wait, somebody uploaded Maximum Doom.

Old Post 02-16-14 19:10 #
kmxexii

Nemark said:
Still no sign of this ISO? Is there anyway it could be uploaded onto some temporary storage site like Mediafire or something just so it gets out into the wild in the hands of some people while we wait for the more permanent upload to come about?

Did you read the thread? Evans's home connection isn't fast enough to make uploading it via any conventional method feasible.

Old Post 02-16-14 21:28 #
kmxexii is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Something I'd like to suggest but it may be too late would be to split the ISO into several parts (any proper zip utility can do that), like ten 60-megs files instead of one 600 megs file. Then they can be uploaded one at a time, on different days. Other people can download these files. Once all the parts are there, the ISO can be extracted from the whole and uploaded to archive.org by someone with a fast connection.

Old Post 02-16-14 22:02 #
Nemark
Mini-Member

kmxexii said:

Did you read the thread? Evans's home connection isn't fast enough to make uploading it via any conventional method feasible.

From what I understand, he was saying the increased net traffic in his area from the winter storm was causing his internet to slow down. Is that winter storm still an issue?

Even then, he said it would take 10+ hours to upload in those conditions. That could easily happen over a night while sleeping. His main issue with a hosting site like Mediafire was that it seemed temporary.

Old Post 02-17-14 00:54 #
Nemark is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

Gez said:
In fact, it's been two weeks without any sign from Bob Evans. I'm beginning to think the Compuserve ISO will never make it to the Internet.
Hey, let's not get impatient. I'm sure Bob will get it uploaded as soon as he can. For reference, it's still very cold here on the US east coast.

Nemark said:
Yeah, Bob's made it clear the problem is with his Internet connection. Speaking from experience, Internet Archive has a very fast connection: if it's going to take a long time to upload there it certainly isn't going to be any faster to "Mediafire".

Old Post 02-17-14 01:48 #
GreyGhost

I'm prepared to wait another 14 years, if I have that many left in me. ;)

Zed said:
And while we wait, somebody uploaded Maximum Doom.
And everyone's downloading Doom + Accessories, don't know what so special about it to warrant 15k downloads in the last week.

Gez said:
Something I'd like to suggest but it may be too late would be to split the ISO into several parts (any proper zip utility can do that), like ten 60-megs files instead of one 600 megs file.
I did that once with an 80MB database when on dialup, still took forever to upload but only one or two failed and had to be re-done.

Old Post 02-17-14 02:37 #
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Another suggestion: burn it to a CD and post it to a trusted soul with a good connection for them to upload. I've done that before.

Old Post 02-17-14 09:14 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
machoman127
Green Marine

IMHO screw the ISO -- the fact that Bob Evans and most of the 'lost'
Odessa series have shown up after all these years has made this old Doomer a happy man.

Old Post 02-17-14 11:05 #
machoman127 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle

machoman127 said:
IMHO screw the ISO -- the fact that Bob Evans and most of the 'lost'
Odessa series have shown up after all these years has made this old Doomer a happy man.

It's certainly a bit disappointing that we haven't heard from Bob in a few weeks now. I'm still hopeful he'll pull through though, and yes, at least we have Odessa now.

Enjay said:
Another suggestion: burn it to a CD and post it to a trusted soul with a good connection for them to upload. I've done that before.

I'm located on the US East Coast and would be happy to do this.

Old Post 03-01-14 20:33 #
Nemark
Mini-Member

I'm in central Florida and would be willing to do this as well.

Old Post 03-02-14 00:38 #