Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom General > Timed/one time go secrets?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Platinum Shell said:
Not bad, but I didn't know you made maps.

The only thing I've mapped for recently has been ZDCMP2.

Antroid said:
Maybe something with scripts, compiled zdoom scripts can't be understood and decompiled, right?

Of course they can. If they truly couldn't be understood, then ZDoom itself wouldn't understand them either. There is never a 100% foolproof way to provide data that can be read only how you say it should be read. (See also: everything about DRM and copy prevention.)

Old Post 01-05-14 16:22 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Antroid

Gez said:
Of course they can. If they truly couldn't be understood, then ZDoom itself wouldn't understand them either. There is never a 100% foolproof way to provide data that can be read only how you say it should be read. (See also: everything about DRM and copy prevention.)

Yeah I didn't think about the scripts thing long enough... (The extent was that I couldn't read the compiled scripts in XWE, so that means nobody and nothing possibly could). The entire idea was based on my knowledge that there is (was?) a way to make super mario world hacks unopenable in lunar magic (the editor used to make them). Although now that I think about it, someone probably made some sort of unlocking utility.

However there are presumably quite a few games that people can't just extract and edit levels and other data from, because nobody could work out how. At least judging by the number of games that have rumors about them that hardcore fans spend considerable time ingame trying to debunk or prove. It would be cool to be able to hide something in a doom level that would be so hidden that people would have to kinda hunt for it and record evidence on video or something, instead of just opening the wad in an editor and looking. Oh well.

Old Post 01-05-14 16:35 #
Antroid is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
William Blazkowicz

I think they can be annoying. Like in (The Ultimate) Doom's E1M4 in the area where you get the rocket launcher and must press the switch for a platform to raise up to get the soul sphere. But if you are not quck enough to press the switch and run onto the elevator, you are crud out-a-luck. All you can do is sit their (and if you have a source port that lets you look vertical, look up at it), and just groan until you decide to run like hell across the radiation pit.

Yea, I really hate 'those' secrets. It's truly a pain when you cannot get 100%.

Old Post 01-05-14 17:40 #
William Blazkowicz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote