Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suitepee

Doom Year Resolutions 2014

Complete all 30 maps of my "Thy PrBoom Maps" Megawad and they have to be in a playable, non-rushed standard that doesn't make me look lazy...

That and get a life.

I'm going to focus on learning some visual basic, among other languages, this year. So after over a year of straight vanilla-mapping, my goal is now to make one UDMF map that isn't horribly bloated with useless scripts.

Also it should play well. Really, if I can make one or two good maps this coming year, I'll be very happy. :)

First resolution: To get Echoes of Hell working with at least the resources and DECORATE sorted.

Second Resolution: Play a lot more Doom.

I can proudly say those are very realistic goals.

Work on and hopefully complete ngm2 (definitely will if I go roughly a map a week). Put in a map for sf2014. Experiment with texture editing (probably nothing will come of this). Experiment with invis and infighting.

I think that's plenty.

My new year resolution is to become more active in the Doom community again and hopefully return to my roots from my 2003~2005 years.

Play more Doom maps. Finish DOP 3. Finish that Doom bot pathfinding and AI project.

Resist the temptation to commit to community projects so I can work on my own project

Learn to map faster

Be more involved with the DWMW Club again

Patrol1985 said:

Spam enough posts on this forum to set my own custom avatar...

Wait, is that how it actually works?

Edit: Never mind, found the FAQ.

"When you reach 250 posts, you will be able to upload your own custom avatar"

Kotzugi said:

Wait, is that how it actually works?

I will count teaching you this lesson as my "good deed for the new year" :P

To actually make a map with decent gameplay and without a single crate. Not even a single 16x16 crate in an inaccessible area.

And to stop being scared of multiplayer.

Patrol1985 said:

Spam enough posts on this forum to set my own custom avatar...

You will never post more frequently than SavageCorona did :D

Spoiler

and even SavageCorona did not come even close to Zaldron's 200 posts on June 12, 2001. He still has a post per day count of 2, despite having only posted twice since 2010. Something tells me the forums have changed a lot since then.

TimeOfDeath said:

Noooooooo!

Most probably like in the vein of Joshy ;)
I'm guessing I'll be back when I reach my mid-life crisis, or something.

rant: ATM I'm having the least motivation and interest I've had in Doom, ever, and it kind of scares me, because I have quite alot of work left to do (mapping). I just hope it gets back up soon!
Also I'm reeeeally getting short on spare time these days. There is so much I want and have to do besides mapping, so...

I'm just browsing these forums out of habit and boring days at work :P

Patrol1985 said:

I will count teaching you this lesson as my "good deed for the new year" :P

Appreciated. Although with my current post rate it'll take me something like (roughly) another year to reach it.

I'm gonna be totally cliched and say that I'd like to complete a map and be happy with it enough that I'd want to upload it to idgames. My last attempt at mapping was back in 1996. lol

I should probably play more, map less. I feel like as I focus on the latter I'm getting progressively worse at this game over time.

Eris Falling said:

Zaldron's 200 posts on June 12, 2001.

Someone posted 200 (as in: TWO HUNDRED) posts within a single day?! I can't imagine it, unless the person replied to his own posts :P

Avoozl said:

To create my first map and get it uploaded to idgames.

heh. this. it's something every doomer should have done once: build a map, perhaps upload some demos. i didn't even get to make a map for the doomworld mega project :(

other than that, play some more doom. not that easy when you're staring at a monitor every day at work, you'll simply feel like doing something else when you get home.

happy new year everyone.

Quasar said:

Release more than one version of EE in a calendar year :)

Release my /newproject for Eternity this.. decade.

1. I wanna finally complete my first map and submit it to the idgames archive. I've attempted to make maps and always end up scrapping them for one reason or another.

2. Post more and join in events more often.

One resolution ought to be to actually implement this.

There's some stuff Chocolate Doom desperately needs (like OpenGL scaling) that I should really aim to get done this year.

fraggle said:

There's some stuff Chocolate Doom desperately needs (like OpenGL scaling) that I should really aim to get done this year.

If this is whatever's preventing MSI Afterburner (for video recording) from working with Chocolate Doom, I'm down with this. Yo. Unless, of course, there's any plans for native video logging in Chocolate itself in the future?