Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

Computer troubles...

Well, I may be away for the next few days. Having major computer troubles. I tried watching a few DVDs last nite, and after a half hour, they kept locking up. So I reboot, and the damn things lockup even before the menu comes up. Tried watching a DIVX movie, same bloody thing. Reinstalled windows, thought it might help. It didn't same damn thing. Games crash as well. My computer doesn't lock up or crash for Windows use, but programs (movies, games, ftp, even photoshop) fuck up.

I'll be fucking around with my computer for the next few days, but will be checking back here every once in a while on another PC. Life sucks. :(

Gah! While I was reading this, Bersirc crashed! You hexed my computer!

Some things you might want to check:

It could be a hardware problem due to overheating. Check all your fans (power supply, cpu, video card etc.) to make sure they are still working and not clogged up with dust. You might want to make sure the inside of your case is as free of dustbunnies as possible too. Dust acts as an insulator and keeps heat in, which can freak out sensitive computer electronics.

Check all your cable connections to make sure nothing is loose.

Make sure all expansion cards are properly inserted.

If all your hardware checks out ok and you are still have problems try checking for viruses or trojans. (You should do this regularly anyway)

Already did a virus scan. Nothing. However, it just locked up a little while ago and the video card (GeForce 2 MX) was quite hot after only 20 minutes of use. Looks like I might be buying some heat sinks and fans tomorrow. :P

No worries about dust in my case. The cover is off all of the time (unless, of course, annoying little cousins come over).

Hopefully that fixes it. Just to double check, I'll throw in my old video card (G200) tomorrow and see if it fixes it.

Oh well, Windows needed to be wiped out anyways.

I love Linux. But the reason why I don't use it is the same reason why I don't upgrade to Windows XP: I love the programs I use too much, and don't want to worry about incompatibilities, such as assigning all 4 buttons with my Trackman Marble FX. Doesn't work right in Linux, no matter how much I try.

Heh my win98 just had it's first major-gigantic crash fest in like a few months. First my interface got all fucked up, buttons turning black and disappearing and shit, then I tried to reboot and bersirc crashed about 30 times before I finally got a BSOD and rebooted with my reset button. *sigh*

I'm running wondows 2000... killed it last week when I highlighted about 75 mp3's and pressed enter... rather than create a playlist with the said songs, stupid winamp opens 75 instances of itself and proceeds to play all the songs at the same time.

It hurt...

Damm...when I opened up my case a while back, there was a layer of dust over everything about 2-3mm thick. Heh.

I crashed some computers down at the local computer shop, by highlighting all the icons on the desktop and pressing enter several times...don't know why though.

Recently I had to reinstall Windows. I kept getting all these messages about Rundll32 being corrupt, so something like that, yet Windows booted up and ran seemingly perfect. Odd. Oh well.

Liam the Bard said:

Heh my win98 just had it's first major-gigantic crash fest in like a few months. First my interface got all fucked up, buttons turning black and disappearing and shit, then I tried to reboot and bersirc crashed about 30 times before I finally got a BSOD and rebooted with my reset button. *sigh*

Oh, beautiful.

I have this 98se-specific beauty where the close program icon gets 'ripped' in half. Half of teh icon is replaced by just... black. And of course it won't work. A few seconds later and it freezes. I just laugh when it (rarely) happens, I find it amusing that it not only is fucked, but artistically looks fucked as well.

On the subject of reinstalling windows, I think too many people automatically resort to that method whenever they have problems. It does seem to work a lot of the time but its using a sledgehammer on a nail..

pritchfish

Not another one!

heh, you're kinda late there buddy, he had the fish for ages. =P

Heh, I've had this one 98se thing where, after this one program crashes, Windows just kinda starts deteriorating. The first thing that always happens is the text on the menu bars and toolbars disappears. If there's a keyboard shortcut for a menu option, the little underscore is still visible, but the rest of the text is just gone. After that, Windows gradually gets slower and produces more errors until I reboot the thing or it freezes.

I've also had IE Javascript errors where one or two windows become paralyzed: The window cannot be brought to the front, reduced, or closed, but all the other windows work normally. I ultimately have to force-crash IE to fix the problem, or close a bunch of other windows to see which one is responsible for freezing the one, which are both a bitch if I have a lot of browser windows going.

Jon said:

On the subject of reinstalling windows, I think too many people automatically resort to that method whenever they have problems. It does seem to work a lot of the time but its using a sledgehammer on a nail..

I used the same install of Win95 for four and a half years (1996 - 2001). My windows folder was nearly 200 MB (!) but it was still working fine when I wiped it.

darknation said:

I'm running wondows 2000... killed it last week when I highlighted about 75 mp3's and pressed enter... rather than create a playlist with the said songs, stupid winamp opens 75 instances of itself and proceeds to play all the songs at the same time.

It hurt...

Hmm, lemme try....

Dammit, Quake 2 and Red Alert fefuse to install on windows 2K... i'm getting bullshit "Only made for local win95" messages before it even starts installing.

I need a win95 emulator... :p

darknation said:

stupid winamp opens 75 instances of itself and proceeds to play all the songs at the same time.

happened to me a few times before, mainly because I clicked on "open" in the right click menu instead of "play in winamp".

wow, that was fun. I couldn't open 75 copies of xmms, because it only lets me run one instance of itself. So I tried opening 100 kvims (kvim = an enhanced version of Vim editor).

On Kvim number 68 I ran out of both RAM (256 MB) and swap (300 MB). Jesus these beasts are huge. The computer slowed down almost to a halt. No more kvims tried to run. Bash shell where I ran them from crashed with a segmentation fault. The rest of the system is OK, and back to normal once I killed the kvims.

Of course, kvim != winamp, and kvims didn't try to play music, but i don't think that makes much of a difference.

Did the Winamps actually start playing those mp3s? All at once?

MAN you people have NO idea how to use a computer!
Sheesh!My new computer has NEVER EVER crashed, but my old computer has only had ONE huge gigantic crash and it was fixed.It has a pentium but can run without many badly damaging lockups.All it needs is more ram.. and..... something FASTER THAN A PENTIUM!!!!!

Edit: let me also note it has 32MB of ram and a 30GB hard drive, you can't imagine how many errors and slowdowns it suffers from...
One more thing: My new computer has about 500MB ram while I set it up to have 2GB backup ram on my hard drive.
Now let's stop posting in this thread unless it's REALLY important.

Fixed. One of the fans died in my pc.

[edit] Since I reinstalled windows, I forgot what the address I have to block to get rid of the popups. Can someone give it to me? [/edit]

The evidence is conclusive. A gremlin did it.

Keep a can of Raid on hand, elby.

I'm having the same problem with my computer as Elbryan! I've tried everything I know to do short of reformatting my drive cause I don't wanna do that since the system started freezing soon after I had built it. I switched to Win XP from Win 98 and now instead of freezing the sound drops out when it feels like it (between as soon as windows has finished loading to 5 hours)

I got all latest drivers for my video and sound cards and flashed my mobo's BIOS. I've had this problem for months now and no one has been able to help me :(. I really wanna go back to windows 98 but can't until this problem is fixed.

I've also checked the temps of the video card and the CPU. The graphics card was running at around 50 celcius (122F) so I put a fan on top of the video card and now it's down to about 40c. The Heatsink and Fan for the CPU is AMD certified as is the Power Supply. I did everything right when buying parts for this computer and this is what I get for it. The CPU is not overclocked and varies between 100F6and 115F degrees depending on what I'm doing on it.

when I talked with you before you sounded pretty reluctant to updating the sound card drivers. You also may want to look at 3rd party drivers just incase a fix to this exist. If all else fails just get a SB Live, it's great and works on XP.