Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Remembering the work of Jean-Yves Delpech

I know there are quite a few of you that don't remember Jive, but I do and it is sad that he died a few years back. He had a couple of websites but the one I'm putting back online (it was a hosted site at one time) was his baby. I haven't linked it from the main page of DWS (yet) and many of the files are still uploading as I write this, but the site IS online. By the time you read this, all the updated html files - removed references to doomwadstation.com and replaced with .net will have uploaded, so pretty much everything should be functional. When it is all done, I will put an "in Memoria" on the index page and the home page. I know the cancer turned him to religion but I have been asked to do this in his honor and I am more than happy to do so. RIP, Jive.

Doom Legacy Wads

I knew who Jive was before I joined Doomworld (Or at least I knew him from Doomwadstation, I found that before I found Doomworld, in fact I think it was how I found Doomworld!), it is a shame on what happened to him.

RIP Jive.

-

I remember these wads as well, I played a good few of them in my spare time.

Well, hopefully, putting his websites - this one and gzdoom (already in queue) will be a proper way to remember our old freind.

Brad_tilf said:

Well, hopefully, putting his websites - this one and gzdoom (already in queue) will be a proper way to remember our old freind.

Indeed, also with the resurrection of these websites his work as well as many others will hopefully never be lost to the ages.

Your doing a very noble thing here, keep it up and thanks for your services.

EDIT: Added the website to bookmarks, time to start browsing again after all this time.

I don't know what happened to him, but I will also be restoring the work of Kent Carson - aka Looneytooner to the site - Looney Toon Doom.
That will be up by tomorrow. :-)

Last I heard from Kent, which was many years ago now - he had come in to some money. Really haven't heard from him since about 2006, I'm going to say.

So much nostalgia right here, I just get memories flooding straight to me with the somewhat cheesy but equally awesome old levels and megawads I see on the site, I think I even remember playing some of them ages ago.

One thing I don't remember is how you were supposed to download the wads, that one stumps me (Unless I disable addblock, maybe that will help).

Doesn't work for me either. There's probably meant to be list in click.php that returns a filename and path when presented with an id number.

I've also noticed that clicking on wad thumbnails does nothing and there are still embedded links to weborama.fr (http://script.weborama.fr/gold.js), which I think is an advertising portal.

Good to see this back online.

Oh - Ok. Easily fixed, although I could have sworn I checked all the links. That code is still running on the site. I have it working with several downloads. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Woops - wait. forgot - his site, not mine. I'll still look though

Ok - looks like it's fixed. :-)
Racked my brain for awhile because I do use that code on dws but I hadn't looked at it in awhile. I got it going though, looks like.

Looks like I'll have to make similar changes on gzdoom, as well.

Both sites - Doom Legacy Wads and Gzdoom are online and completely functional as far as I can tell. As I was testing various download links, I did come across one that said not found because the link was in the wrong case but the file was there. So, if you run across any of that, please let me know and I'll fix it. I also added an "in memory of" table at the top of each of the respective index pages.
Enjoy his work.

He helped find errors in my old megawad so it was better for the public so I won't forget about his endeavors.

Special Pages : "HowTo Use Wads" of MrRocket, the Link is broken.

The DoomLegacy site link to MrRocket MegaSphere is
http://home.comcast.net/~mrrocket/main.htm

BBS wads page: many instances of words run-together
(Thisdatabase was put together ...)

Utilities Page: I tried to download some wads and get different ones instead.
Try to download jiveskies1 and get pleides.wad instead, and similar mistakes for the other wads.

Brad_tilf said:

I also added an "in memory of" table at the top of each of the respective index pages.

In Memory of Jean-Yves Delpech [Jive] who died on November 28, 2014 from cancer.

We're not yet in November 2014... The year of his death was 2011.

First, it's good that you've done this.

The front page of the site says this:

Three huge Databases (more than 2000 Pwads)

233 pwads & 2558 maps

As you apparently have a copy of his archive, would you be able to bundle up everything from his site into a .zip and upload it to archive.org? It's a good place to put these kinds of "lost website" to ensure that they'll be permanently archived and not lost.

If you have the original versions of the pages without any changes you've made yourself ("in tribute" notices etc.) then that's better.

I loved Jive. His website was like a treasure trove. Back then I was still discovering aftermarket Doom wads and I had a 56k connection. Downloading Marswar and Herian2 was a breathless 5 minutes. Is his site still up?

Three of the five wad downloads are corrupted according to unzip.
Was able to fix them using zip -FF, which truncated them.
This implies that something is attached to them (virus ??), expanding their downloaded size.

Best if someone else also tested downloading them to detect if it is the file and not the transport.
It was an attempted download of (in utilities/tools) jiveskies1 ..., but got bad copies of Invaders.wad, and helldz.wad instead.

Was able to play three levels of Invaders.wad last night after fixing it. Nothing to report except that cannot tell if all of the preview jpg are there.

Having a little trouble finding wads on the site that are specific to DoomLegacy. But, have not explored everywhere yet.

So I went and I downloaded a file called pleiades.zip after clicking on "jiveskies1". I ran Microsoft Security Essentials, Adaware and Malwarebytes on it and came up empty. So I opened it. Opened fine, no issues.

So maybe it was something else?

Brad_tilf said:

So I went and I downloaded a file called pleiades.zip after clicking on "jiveskies1".

Same here.

The lookup list needs some attention, clicking on the download links for Forest32 or Forge (Doom 1 Page 1) took me to the now-defunct-and-parked-by-GoDaddy brdoom.com.   o_O

I'll start trawling through the pages to compile a list.

Ya, I'm certain that there are plenty of out of date links. I fixed one to Hellraiser last night - ran across it by accident. That one was even MORE out of date as it went to a link that I had when I was on suhost.com - WAY BACK. Somewhere in the 2002 to 2003 era, actually. lol

After trawling through several pages of wads I've come to the conclusion that Doom Legacy Wads has somehow wound up using the download lookup list for GZDoom Wads, which only has about 80 entries, so for a lot of links all you'll get is "This ID doesn't exist!".

I'll take a look at it tonight - perhaps it's just missing wads?
Can you give me some examples? (with pages they're on?)
It's also possible that he never changed the link id's but moved the files. The pages seem to be a little discombobulated at points

Brad_tilf said:

Can you give me some examples? (with pages they're on?)

I'll PM you a list shortly, it covers four DLW pages.