User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Doom Anthology
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:29.   
A.Gamma

Found this monstrosity while surfing Youtube.

Take a look for yourselves:

Old Post 02-25-14 07:02
A.Gamma is offline Profile || Click here to Send A.Gamma a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Okay, so someone bundled in Skulltag, Brutal Doom, NRFTL, and -- for some weird reason -- Pirate Doom, and is usurping a name to get results in unrelated searches.

This is stupid and unethical.

Old Post 02-25-14 07:27
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

Gez said:
Okay, so someone bundled in Skulltag, Brutal Doom, NRFTL, and -- for some weird reason -- Pirate Doom, and is usurping a name to get results in unrelated searches.

This is stupid and unethical.

Agree, at first I thought Zenimax had made yet another bundle... then I watched the actual video, seriously, why do people insist on making these stupid mod compilations? Maybe they intend to sell it?

Old Post 02-25-14 07:38
A.Gamma is offline Profile || Click here to Send A.Gamma a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

After searching for a while I managed to find a page where the "game" is hosted (not gonna link to it, full of warez). Against all common sense I downloaded the file, which is a 600+mb exe, and since I'm planning on buying a computer I went ahead and installed it. What I discovered was truly shocking!

Not only did they include Brutal Doom, NRFTL and Pirate Doom, but also all of the IDtech1 games (and I mean ALL of them), heck the thing has both DTWID and D2TWID dubbed as "Director's Cut".
But wait, there's more! BTSX is also there, as is Stronghold, The Ultimate Torment and Torture, The Master Levels, The PSX Doom TC, Doom 64 EX, Plutonia 2 and a lot more I can not remember.

As a side note, E.C.S on the Zdoom forums pointed me to the page this thing was "developed" (which is in spanish), and the guys over there were actually praising this thief for his "work".

Old Post 02-25-14 08:31
GreyGhost

I'll bet there's someone at Zenimax who'd like to know where to download that from.

Old Post 02-25-14 09:57
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Click here to Send GreyGhost a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Say what you want about Grezzo 2, but it wasn't this blatant in it's thievery. Some people seriously have no shame whatsoever.

Old Post 02-25-14 10:32
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I thought this was gonna be about that big Doom release years back, but I think that was called iD Anthology, so nevermind.

Old Post 02-25-14 15:02
Clonehunter is online now Profile || Click here to Send Clonehunter a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MFG38

Clonehunter said:
I thought this was gonna be about that big Doom release years back, but I think that was called iD Anthology, so nevermind.

So did I.

Old Post 02-25-14 15:10
MFG38 is offline Profile || Click here to Send MFG38 a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FTM
Green Marine

Gez said:
usurping a name to get results in unrelated searches.

I doubt that is the intention of the name.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that A.Gamma is antagonizing (or trying to) the autor of the pack

Last edited by FTM on 02-25-14 at 19:56

Old Post 02-25-14 15:45
FTM is offline Profile || Click here to Send FTM a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

GreyGhost said:
I'll bet there's someone at Zenimax who'd like to know where to download that from.

Sent a message their way.

Clonehunter said:

So did I, that's why I watched the video in the first place!

FTM said:
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that A.Gamma is antagonizing (or trying to) the autor of the pack

Yeah, maybe I'm kind of doing just that, since you know, this guy is using the hard work of a LOT of community memembers in his own "project" without EVER mentioning them, and to top it off he even changes the name of the wads! I mean, if the names were at least right; some people could go and download the files from any link the wad authors give!

Not to mention of course the illegal Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife copies in the package.

Old Post 02-25-14 20:44
FTM
Green Marine

A.Gamma said:
Yeah, maybe I'm kind of doing just that, since you know, this guy is using the hard work of a LOT of community memembers in his own "project" without EVER mentioning them, and to top it off he even changes the name of the wads! I mean, if the names were at least right; some people could go and download the files from any link the wad authors give!

Not to mention of course the illegal Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife copies in the package.

The thing is, you could have contacted him and tell him what he's doing wrong instead of calling his compilation, stupid or monstrosity.

Old Post 02-25-14 22:33
FTM is offline Profile || Click here to Send FTM a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

FTM said:

The thing is, you could have contacted him and tell him what he's doing wrong instead of calling his compilation, stupid or monstrosity.

Yeah because he obiously does not know what he's doing.

It's also come to my attention that the forum where this thing was made is famous for making map tournaments, that have produced, amongst other wads, Vanilla Sky which I really liked despite it's gameplay issues. Which raises a new question, if that forum has talented individuals that can make a good map, why do they allow this kind of thing?

Old Post 02-25-14 22:50
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Clonehunter said:

I also got disappointed, Id anthology is awesome both in physically and gameplay wise

Old Post 02-25-14 23:17
Waffenak is offline Profile || Click here to Send Waffenak a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Which raises a new question, if that forum has talented individuals that can make a good map, why do they allow this kind of thing?

What does having talent have to do with having ethics?

Old Post 02-26-14 11:11
Phml is online now Profile || Click here to Send Phml a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

A.Gamma said:
What I discovered was truly shocking!

Welcome to the internet.

Old Post 02-26-14 12:13
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

FTM said:

Why are you defending this thief? Are you him?

Old Post 02-26-14 13:26
dew is online now Profile || Click here to Send dew a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Darch

I don't get this defense on him, too. The guy decides to make a doom mod compilation: ok - it would be nicer to ask authors first, but still ok if credit correctly. Then the guy doesn't credit anyone except ID for Doom and SGT Mark for Brutal Doom. Hm, now this is getting wrong. Then the guy decides to change the name of some mods! You can't even search to find real authors. Not that the guy is claiming he made it, but he clearly doesn't give a damn for credit and ownership, since even illegal IWads are included.

Here's a page where he at least mentions the name of some mods he "used":
http://www.gratisjuegos.org/descarg...-full-mf-fd-db/

By the way, I checked the mediafire link > downloads: 0

Old Post 02-26-14 14:25
Darch is offline Profile || Click here to Send Darch a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

I don`t see any issue here besides the IWADs material. You are allowed to call me a heartless prick if you wish, but people generally doesn`t care about who did the mod or game.

Unless you expect some game company to look at your work and they run to your house to hire you.

Old Post 02-26-14 14:43
XCOPY is offline Profile || Click here to Send XCOPY a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlektorophobiA
Mini-Member

This is just one huge misunderstanding, the author of the pack never claimed that he made all the maps/mods included on it, his only intention was an easy to pick up pack for people who want to play the game and then some more and don't know where to start, maybe the only real issue here is the inclusion of the IWADs, but the hispanic mentality when it comes to abandonware/piracy is very different than the one over here, hell, like 90% of the hispanic Doom community uses pirated IWADs and they don't have a problem with it, i'm not advocating piracy, but i really don't see why you guys are making such a huge issue out of this.

And really?, comparing it to Grezzo 2?, that's just dumb.

Old Post 02-26-14 15:02
AlektorophobiA is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlektorophobiA a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
minigunner
Green Marine

Does not excuse the fact that he renamed stolen wads to avoid being found out. Also, I'm under the impression that this is simply a troll-wad, because that trailer can't be fucking serious.

...I need rest, my brain hurts from that video.

Old Post 02-26-14 15:09
minigunner is online now Profile || Click here to Send minigunner a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

i'm not advocating piracy, but i really don't see why you guys are making such a huge issue out of this.

100% of the Phml community thinks throwing a fit over a grand total of one thread and a dozen posts pointing out blatant, slimeish thievery is just dumb. If you don't agree, keep it to yourself, because you shouldn't question my very own sacred culture.

Old Post 02-26-14 17:34
Phml is online now Profile || Click here to Send Phml a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TimeOfDeath
Forum Regular

AlektorophobiA said:
i'm not advocating piracy, but i really don't see why you guys are making such a huge issue out of this.

Probably because of the piracy.

Old Post 02-26-14 17:59
TimeOfDeath is online now Profile || Click here to Send TimeOfDeath a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Guys, if you're the authors of some of these mods that are being used without permission, you have rights. Complain to the website hosting the mod. If it's up for download on Megaupload then send them a DMCA takedown request. You don't need to be some huge megacorp to assert copyright.

Personally I'd start with a polite email to the author asking him to stop using your material, and then proceed from there. Has anyone even done that?

AlektorophobiA said:
This is just one huge misunderstanding, the author of the pack never claimed that he made all the maps/mods included on it, his only intention was an easy to pick up pack for people who want to play the game and then some more and don't know where to start
That would have been my assumption as well. Probably the most egregious part is renaming the fan-made levels, because it makes it seem like he's trying to pretend it's his own work. But regardless, it would be productive to open a dialogue with the creator of this thing and see what he's trying to do.

Old Post 02-26-14 18:39
fraggle is offline Profile || Click here to Send fraggle a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
A.Gamma

dew said:

Nah, he's not him, but he's a member of the spanish Doom community http://www.arcades3d.net/forosmf/in...p?topic=16211.0 (Drama starts on page 4 if you can read spanish).

Darch said

Here's a page where he at least mentions the name of some mods he "used":
http://www.gratisjuegos.org/descarg...-full-mf-fd-db/

That's the page I originally downloaded from, before I was pointed out to the arcades 3D forums where the pack was made, can't really say I saw the "credits" before, but then again, I just scrolled down to the download links without bothering to read the content.

AlektorophobiA said:

This is just one huge misunderstanding, the author of the pack never claimed that he made all the maps/mods included on it, his only intention was an easy to pick up pack for people who want to play the game and then some more and don't know where to start, maybe the only real issue here is the inclusion of the IWADs, but the hispanic mentality when it comes to abandonware/piracy is very different than the one over here, hell, like 90% of the hispanic Doom community uses pirated IWADs and they don't have a problem with it, i'm not advocating piracy, but i really don't see why you guys are making such a huge issue out of this.

According to that logic, it's okay if I take the levels you uploaded to /idgames, shower them in my shit and then re-release them in a pack with loads of other maps and never say you made some of the maps in my Shit Shower Compilation, but hey! It's alright, I'm not claiming autorship so there is nothing wrong!

Last edited by A.Gamma on 02-26-14 at 21:40

Old Post 02-26-14 21:27
Gez

A.Gamma said:
According to that logic, it's okay if I take the levels you uploaded to /idgames, shower them in my shit and then re-release them in a pack with loads of other maps and never say you made some of the maps in my Shit Shower Compilation, but hey! It's alright, I'm not claiming autorship so there is nothing wrong!

It's alright if you're from a community where everybody is a thieving cheapskate, like the Hispanics. Then it's just a cultural thing! And not at all propagating derogatory stereotypes about said community!

Old Post 02-26-14 21:46
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

fraggle said:
If it's up for download on Megaupload then send them a DMCA takedown request. You don't need to be some huge megacorp to assert copyright.

YMMV. Amazon.com has yet to reply to my DMCA against the guy who is selling Chocolate Strife without the source code. They still have a few days in the legal window to do something, though.

Old Post 02-26-14 21:53
Quasar is offline Profile || Click here to Send Quasar a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
FTM
Green Marine

fraggle said:
Personally I'd start with a polite email to the author asking him to stop using your material, and then proceed from there. Has anyone even done that?

That's what I'm talking about, why do people have to start a witch hunt like that?, he didn't made the compilation with bad intentions, he was trying to make something nice, to raise exposure of the game and the mods in other communities.

Old Post 02-26-14 22:50
Moktar
Warming Up

Fuck, it seems as if I have kicked you from your jobs and raped your children. What's next, Guantanamo? -- I think we can get a good deal, just calm down.

dew said:

Take it easy, man. The problem is with me, not him.

One at a time, please.

Edit: Problem solved, I think. Links removed.

Last edited by Moktar on 03-05-14 at 02:03

Old Post 02-26-14 23:12
Moktar is offline Profile || Click here to Send Moktar a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
glenzinho
Forum Regular

It goes both ways Moktar; id were nice enough to make a game so easily moddable, we should be nice enough to play by their rules.

Old Post 02-26-14 23:34
glenzinho is online now Profile || Click here to Send glenzinho a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
IMX

Gez said:
usurping a name to get results in unrelated searches.

I'll be damned then, because I have this one WIP project which name is related to a specific fantasy item of prominent importance in id software history. Anyway, wasn't googlebombing kind of forgotten and solved already?

I might add that it amazes me a little bit how many of you actually thought that id software/Bethesda/Zenimax were to release and give importance to anything related to classic Doom in this specific time (aside from the so-talked Doom 4 beta). Hey, I don't blame you, "Using the similar design as the Wolf:New Order trailer? It might be official!" I would've fallen for it too

Also if this develops as I'm thinking it will do, I'm fearful that I might have to save a copy of each PWAD made in the Cabro mapping competition, because, to each their own, latin american mappers have the goods.

Old Post 02-27-14 00:23
IMX is offline Profile || Click here to Send IMX a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote