Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
William Blazkowicz

What is your favorite DooM Episode?

What is your guys'and girls' favorite DooM Episode? This includes all Ultimate Doom episodes and Doom II's "episodes"(Starport, Hellish Outpost, City, and Hell, says the DooM wiki.).

Doom 1: E1 - Knee Deep in the Dead. Nice classic Romero style.
Doom 2: Starport (MAP01-06). Fond memories + good gameplay, before it goes a little off (wonky) later in the game.

If one of them, I choose Doom 2 Starport, but I like both.

Definitely Knee Deep in The Dead.
In my opinion, the level design gameplay-wise was a lot more varied than later episodes, and it still remains fresh to me.

scifista42 said:

Doom 1: E1 - Knee Deep in the Dead. Nice classic Romero style.
Doom 2: Starport (MAP01-06). Fond memories + good gameplay, before it goes a little off (wonky) later in the game.

If one of them, I choose Doom 2 Starport, but I like both.

I agree with how you said Doom II get's a little off. Ep2 looks too blocky.

Knee Deep in the Dead was never bettered in my opinion. I've lost count of how many times I've played through and I never get bored. It's become almost like zen or therapy for me!

Average said:

Knee Deep in the Dead was never bettered in my opinion. I've lost count of how many times I've played through and I never get bored. It's become almost like zen or therapy for me!

Agreed.

For me, then it's Ep2, Ep3,

Doom2 up to map08 (inclusive - even though it's after the Map07 break) is good IMO, although I find 05 and 06 relatively weak. After that, I stop caring, map09 has a lot to with that. There are a few levels that I enjoy playing after that but I honestly find most Doom2 levels a pretty dull slog and simply not much fun to play.

So, I suppose the rest of Doom2 goes here.

Then UD Ep4. Never really liked it much.

Ultimate DOOM: EP3 - Inferno; I love most of his maps / concepts behind, 'Slough of Despair' (E3M2), 'Mt. Erebus' (E3M6) and 'Limbo' (E3M7) are also my favorite levels.
DOOM II: City; specially 'The Inmost Dens' (MAP14), 'Industrial Zone' (MAP15), 'Suburbs' (MAP16) and 'The Citadel' (MAP19).

This has been discussed to death but I'll go:
E1 of D1 & D2 for good gameplay.
E2 of D1 and Heretic for classic moments and good times.

Knee Deep in the Dead (surprise, huh?)

Enjay said:

Doom2 up to map08 (inclusive - even though it's after the Map07 break) is good IMO, although I find 05 and 06 relatively weak. After that, I stop caring, map09 has a lot to with that.

I have it the same. Once I reach map09 I usually don't want to continue :D

esselfortium said:

I liked the one where they were waiting to get into the Chinese restaurant.

:|

Episode 2 followed by episode 4.

esselfortium said:

Surprisingly I remember that Seinfeld episode. :P

I always loved Episode 2 since the first time I played it. The way the later levels looked always creeped me out. Oh, and that Cyberdemon Battle, nuff said.

E4 is the most interesting visually. E1 has the best gameplay.

My favorite is the one with the Ch-

esselfortium said:

Ah, fuck.

Knee Deep in the Dead

Hands down my favorite to play, uncountable the number of times I've played it. Used to play it before and after school everyday in 1994. Still play it and love the atmosphere, the concrete and green stone walls, large outside areas, and the mountains I could never get to....

Moktar said:

'The Citadel' (MAP18).

The Citadel is MAP19.

E2 for sure. Looked quite different from the shareware that we'd been playing. That big inverted red cross, teleporters, and holy shit, that first terrifying round flying monster who repeatedly kicked my ass in that dark crammed area. And that was just the first map. I didn't think DOOM could get any more kick-ass than the first episode, but clearly it was just beginning. e2m2 is also my favorite map, full of moving parts and hidden areas to explore. And it's the real start of hell influence in the marble/skin wall corridor in the middle.

Out of the original game E2 is certainly the most eclectic from a visual standpoint, and I think that it has some of the creepiest levels (Halls of the Damned, Deimos Lab). It is probably my personal favorite out of the original game, admittedly.

Episode 3 Inferno and Episode 3 Hell of Doom 2 (lvls 21-30) i like these kind of textures, placement and action ;)

Episode 2 was my favorite, it felt completely different from episode 1 and introduced new monsters. The new music fit really well with the levels and gave it a creepy atmosphere. It also had the best boss out of all the episodes.

Doom - Episode 2.
Episode 1 can't be touched and will forever be a beacon of greatness but I prefer Episode 2 because it feels more warped, entangled and trashy.
Honorable mention: E3M7 - a unique map.

Doom II - Episode 1.
McGee's magic gave this one the right punch. Map02 to Map05 will forever be one of my all time favorites - esp. Map05 which simply blew me away... for a very long time I thought it was a Romero map.
Honorable mention outside if Ep.1: Map17, Map22(visually my favorite), Map26(just stellar), Map29.

p.s.: E4 of Doom was not considered because it feels so foreign compared to the original but overall a great set of maps.

Probably the first episode of DOOM because of its iconic style and nostalgia and the last episode of DOOM II because it's got a lot of the larger or juicier levels (especially 22, 24, 26 and 29).

E4 of Udoom and E2 of doom2
E4 gives a doom2 gameplay style in Udoom
E2 of doom2 is very open and has a lot to explore

Hard to say, for me. I was thinking KDitD like most others, but then I remembered that I'm no fan of E1M7 and that E1M9 on NiGHTMARE! is... Well, a nightmare to play through. Started thinking E2, with all those great music choices, but an hour or two of hallways crowded that memory out... E3 is such a grab bag that, even though it has a few of my favourite stock maps (E3M2, E3M3 and E3M6) it also has Unholy Cathedral, which is my least favourite stock map ever. E4 is pretty mixed again, so that's probably none of Ultimate Doom really being my favourite, so how about Doom II?

Well the first 6 maps start well enough, but the last two of them are very dull, IMO. MAP07 to MAP11? Circle of Death is basically the only map I'm a fan of there... No point even mentioning the city as The Factory is dull as dishwater and as much as I like the concepts on maps like The Industrial Zone and Downtown, they don't actually play too well. MAP31 and MAP32 demonstrate to me why I prefer Doom to Wolfenstein, so the nostalgia of secret maps is no winner and Hell? Well, Hell does have some real winners including possibly my real favourite, which is MAP29, but it does have quite a few maps I don't like.

Seems to me I'll have to pick a "best of an imperfect bunch" as none of them are real winners, IMO. Strongest overall showing is probably Knee Deep in the Dead, as it has no maps I properly hate to play, but none I really love, either. It's quick action with no real challenge unless you up the difficulty way past the norm.

It's no wonder I'm so keen on mapping for these games - great mechanics, but the stock levels just don't do it for me.

Ultimate Doom's E4 because the levels in it are some of my favorites (E4M1, E4M3, E4M6 E4M8 and E4M9)

Doom 2's City levels because of same reason above (The Citadel, The Suburbs, Industrial Zone, The Courtyard, The Inmost Dens and Gotcha)