Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted_Account

How do Cacodemons open doors?

This thought has been bothering me recently. How exactly do Cacodemons open doors? In Doom 64 they have arms, in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot. What about in the original Doom though?

For the sake of argument, most doors in the game don't have traditional door handles, and they all open up-to-down. I always just attributed it to the technology in the game's universe. The "use" function has always been somewhat ambiguous regarding doors.

Piper Maru said:

in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot.

They also do so in Doom: check out those weird tendrils underneath them. I always viewed them as rudimentary Krang-like tentacles or pseudopods.

They are also not short on protruding horns jutting out at pretty much every angle: they must have developed some mobility/sensitivity.

More importantly, how does it wipe its butt...or scratch its balls? No wonder they're so pissed, they can't hug each other.

Doors are (sort of) electrical
Cacos manage electricity at some rate

That, or just plain ol' ~*~hell magic~*~

I've suddenly got a mental image of Lost Souls bashing themselves against doors to open them. Reminds me of the Green Pile.

If we're asking this question, then for that matter, how do any of the other monsters open doors - even former humans or the Doomguy himself?

All of these look pretty solid and impenetratable, and none of them have any obvious method by which their opening mechanism is activated.

It certainly is one the greatest questions of the 21st century, hopefully someday mankind will find the answer. Personally, I think the doors are touch activated.

fraggle said:

All of these look pretty solid and impenetratable, and none of them have any obvious method by which their opening mechanism is activated.

Seeing that they all open upwards, I suppose they are tension-activated like certain garages and shop shutters, where you have to push them down with your foot briefly for them to start pulling up on their own.

DooM_RO said:

More importantly, how does it wipe its butt...or scratch its balls? No wonder they're so pissed, they can't hug each other.

Pissed? They seem pretty happy with that giant grin on their faces :P

Diamhea said:

The "use" function has always been somewhat ambiguous regarding doors.

Yeah, before we can ask how Cacos open doors, the issue of how you open doors in general still isn't answered. We can't just say that they're motion sensing like in Quake, you have to use the door manually. Doing what? Well, Doomguy keep his hands firmly on his gun at all times, and makes an oomph sound when unsuccessfully using a surface. I hope he's not sticking his dick in the door.

Piper Maru said:

Personally, I think the doors are touch activated.

If that were the case, they'd open upon simply walking into them.

Maes said:

Seeing that they all open upwards, I suppose they are tension-activated like certain garages and shop shutters, where you have to push them down with your foot briefly for them to start pulling up on their own.

There are doors that open downward (technically platforms, who cares, it's intended as a door) in the official maps, and Doom 64 has actual non-platform doors that open both directions at once.

Perhaps they are all kick or shoulder/bump/hump activated. After all, what exactly is Doomguy doing when opening a secret door or just uselessly groaning against a wall?

Cacodemons spit ball lightning. They spit a tiny little ball of electricity at the door's switch, triggering it.

Maes said:

So are we saying that whenever you press the "use" key to open a door, the Doomguy is (off-camera, and all the while keeping his head perfectly still) stretching his arms down to the floor, sticking his fingers under it and heaving it upwards? And the UAC designed all the doors in their bases to be operated in this strange way?

More mysterious still, all the doors in hell itself also follow this convention. Maybe it's the reality bleeding phenomenon, and all the doors you encountered were once actually UAC base doors that had the metal parts magically replaced with chunks of marble or wood, while the opening mechanism itself was perfectly preserved.

Doomguy opens doors like Conan the Barbarian. He just grabs from the door or presses his hands against the door and pushes/lifts it up.

Cacodemons stare at the doors until they open.

Arch-Viles open doors with magic.

Every once in a while, monsters start the level in Deathmatch mode, which means they can open locked doors. This also needs further explanation, IMO.

EDIT: Minor mistake.

Piper Maru said:

This thought has been bothering me recently. How exactly do Cacodemons open doors? In Doom 64 they have arms, in Doom 3 they have tentacles and whatnot. What about in the original Doom though?

I'd guess the same way that they stuck the Barons on the walls in E2M9.

Patrol1985 said:

Pissed? They seem pretty happy with that giant grin on their faces :P

That's another reason they are so pissed: their mouths are positioned upside-down on their faces.

fraggle said:

So are we saying that whenever you press the "use" key to open a door, the Doomguy is (off-camera, and all the while keeping his head perfectly still) stretching his arms down to the floor, sticking his fingers under it and heaving it upwards? And the UAC designed all the doors in their bases to be operated in this strange way?

Well, either that, or Doomguy also has above average foot fine motor skills. Of course, it could just be that his BFG scooter comes with a built-in remote opening module for -almost- all UAC doors, kinda like automated highway toll payment.

Joshy said:

Telekinesis yo

Precisely, but they're not so much raising the door as lowering everything else.