Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NuMetalManiak

How high does your CPU temperature get while playing?

I feel I should ask this, as I've been a victim of an overheating CPU recently.

When playing, usually with GZDoom, or with PrBoom+ sometimes, the temperature in my CPU increases a bit. Before, my idle temperature was at 47 degrees on average, but when playing, it shot up to about 78 degrees. That was pretty damn hot and actually started giving me blue screen 0x124 errors and all that crap.

I eventually cleaned out the inside of my computer, including one dusty-ass heat sink, and eventually my temperature ended up being much lower. 36 degrees on idle, and only 45 degrees when playing Doom.

So how high does your CPU temperature get when playing?

EDIT: Celsius temps.

Without knowing the make and model of your CPU its hard to say (is that core temperature, btw), although 45C under load sounds about right given a "normal" ambient temperature.

The question is moot without knowing your make and model of CPU, as you wouldn't have any meaningful "average" values to compare it to. E.g. idling at 60C would be a lot for an Athlon64, but quite normal for a Pentium 4 Celeron or an Athlon XP CPU.

In your case however, you had an obvious culprit and a totally different range of temperatures pre/post cleaning.

The more fireballs on screen the hotter it gets... when I hear the BIOS beeping I leave a battle scene as fast as I can to cool it off with water or sky textures. *rotating Fedora*

For me, playing choco with gl scale up doesn't get it hot because it mostly idles between updates.
Quake is a way better heater as it uses more logic and scales much higher.

I have an AMD Phenom (tm) II X6 1090T Processor, 32 GHz. It's pretty high-end mostly, of course, I had to settle the dust issue myself.

But I do monitor my fan speed and CPU temperature with SpeedFan. In fact, I just had a Doom session awhile ago and monitored my temperature for both my core (red) and CPU temps (green).

Back before I cleaned out the dust, that temperature was at the 70-80 degrees Celsius when playing, and actually didn't even go down past 60 even when idle. Was so afraid of testing because of the over-temperature errors I got from time to time. Now it's cool ;).

Before cleaning the dust, it was idling around 55 to 60C. Playing anything raised it over 90C pretty fast. After cleaning the dust, cores 0, 2 and 3 are idling at 36 to 40C.. but Core 1 is idling at 45C. They stay under 60C when playing games.

My mactop heats up like an oven if I'm watching a 20 second youtube video at 240p, or even using any website that happens to use flash or even javascript.

My laptop's fan has been very loud lately and its been getting hot, so seeing this thread caused to get off my ass and actually check its temperature. About 55-60 C when idle, up to 80 C when Dooming.

Unfortunately it also almost hits 80 when I just have the browser open so I think its definitely due for a clean out. I'll buy some compressed air next time I'm out shopping and see what difference that makes. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be this hot.

i think the highest must have been near 100C for me. the whole computer was kind of a mess, using an ancient mobo that was failing on top of a CPU dying. it was so bad that it would attempt to escape from OpenGL mode in GZDoom while it was running. thankfully, i haven't had any major computer-related problems as of recently after that, though.

right now, i think getting a fan-replacement for the CPU would be something to think of doing in the meantime. i'm not running into any dangerous temperatures, but it could certainly help for longevity a bit if it was a bit lower, i think.

Mine doesn't even get anywhere near the 40s on my PC, unless it's summer time and I do not turn on the A/C of my room. It's only stuff like Flight Simulator X or GTA that warm it up.

Clonehunter said:

My mactop heats up like an oven if I'm watching a 20 second youtube video at 240p, or even using any website that happens to use flash or even javascript.

No wonder Steve Jobs/Apple wanted those banned from the Appstore and every iApp ;-) It's harder to live up to their uber-optimistic energy efficiency claims with layer upon layer of scripting and VMs. They even went as far as banning any form of scripting language or VM from apps, especially mobile ones.

I think the Flash player is about 20-30% as efficient as a desktop media player when it comes to playing videos, anyway, so even PCs could do with a better alternative (HTML5 looked promising, but the built-in players aren't much better).

With an ambient temperature around of 31° or more , the CPU stays around 40-50, when I'm playing high requirements game starts to get hot, so i turn on the AC aiming at the PC, my PC it's not dusty yet..., still I'm eventually adding more fans to it, has space for 2 more, but i found it kind of alarming that it heats up to 70°, but I've never experienced any problem related with the temperature.

This depends more on the motherboard design and case than the program.
I choose a motherboard and CPU that do not get anywhere near that hot.

If you overclock it will get hotter than spec and a standard fan will not be able to keep up. That is when an automatic CPU throttle is useful. It should reduce the CPU clock speed at temperature set points.

A computer case on the floor has some of the case venting blocked by carpet. Sometimes the cables in the case will interfere with air flow and need to be tied to the supports.

The CPU and motherboards of that last few years have paid more attention to CPU and board power usage. Before that they made good ovens. Parts of the chip would get so hot that the implanted doping would drive deeper and destroy the transistor geometry.

Melon said:

My laptop's fan has been very loud lately and its been getting hot, so seeing this thread caused to get off my ass and actually check its temperature. About 55-60 C when idle, up to 80 C when Dooming.

Unfortunately it also almost hits 80 when I just have the browser open so I think its definitely due for a clean out. I'll buy some compressed air next time I'm out shopping and see what difference that makes. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be this hot.

So I know many of you here have been absolutely dying to know the results of my computer clean-out, to the point where the anticipation has been so unbearable that you've been unable to function properly in society. Well I'm here to relieve you all of the agony.

After a blast of compressed air my computer now idles at about 40C and gets up to 60C when dooming. Hooray!